MSNBC reports Al-Zarqawi killed in Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Strategy page had this up recently
June 7, 2006: The relationship between terrorist leader Abu Musab al Zarqawi and and the mainline al Qaeda leadership continues to deteriorate. Zarqawi's recent audio messages have not only attacked the U.S. and the Shia-dominated government in Iraq, but also Iran. He's even claiming that the U.S., Iran, and Shia in general, are in cahoots to destroy Islam. He has also called for continued attacks against Shia.

Except for his verbal attacks on the U.S. and the Iraqi government, he is almost totally distanced himself from the central leadership. Other al Qaeda leaders have been trying to down play anti-Iranian and anti-Shia rhetoric, and have been strongly discouraging attacks on civilians.

Given that Zarqawi has become a loose cannon and that his actions are handicapping Al Qaeda's efforts, it seems reasonable to expect that an accident may befall him at some point in the near future. If handled right it can be made to look like he went out in a blaze of glory fighting American troops or that he was foully murdered. Either way, al Qaeda gets rid of a problem and gains another "martyr."
link

But it is worthwhile to recognise that a) that is speculation and b) the actual story will probably turn out false - there have been too many "near misses". Zarqawi's death would not end ethnic tensions or stop the terrorism being inflicted upon innocent people.

Last edited:
Whatever the case, glad the fucker is gone.

The reports say that it was US Special Forces. (edit*)

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Strategy page had this up recentlylink

But it is worthwhile to recognise that a) that is speculation and b) the actual story will probably turn out false - there have been too many "near misses". Zarqawi's death would not end ethnic tensions or stop the terrorism being inflicted upon innocent people.

Well, I am looking for a printed confirmation but NBC News is going full head with the reports.

And I agree it doesn't end anything, but figuratively it's a good blow to the insurgency, if only a superficial blow.

Huge bombing and Zarqawi don't instill me with confidence, unless they have positive identification on a body or enough body pieces.

Found a wikipedia bit
Zarqawi was confirmed to have been killed by a bombing raid by a US Task force on June 08, 2006. The task force had been hunting him for some time and he had eluded them on many occasions, in some close calls. The bombing raid on July 08, 2006, apparently occured at a building in Baghdad where US Intelligence had recieved credible information that Zarqawi was located, along with his spirtual advisor, who was also reportedly killed.

I'm hearing it too.

But I doubt it will stop much if anything.

A_Wanderer said:
Huge bombing and Zarqawi don't instill me with confidence, unless they have positive identification on a body or enough body pieces.

Found a wikipedia bit

I understand, it's just NBC is saying "US Officials tell NBC News...."

Iraq PM tells CNN they will make announcement.....

Iraqi PM confirmed it to Fox News.
Press Conference shortly.

Last edited:
on CNN and NBC in L.A. broke into Conan O'Brien for "breaking news"

From CNN:
Terror leader al-Zarqawi dead, Iraqi officials say
Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the most wanted insurgent in Iraq, is dead, an aide to Iraq's prime minister said today. Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki was expected to make a public announcement of the death, the details of which are unclear. Two Pentagon officials told CNN that the government is awaiting al-Maliki's announcement in Baghdad before commenting on the report officially.

Reports said they identified him by fingerprints, as well as physical recognition. May have also killed one of his lieutenants...

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe the son of a bitch is gone!!!

Way to go Allies!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

*HUGE hi-5 to Pres. Bush and the allied forces*

wow they actually got someone? Not that it'll change all that much with the situation, but I have to admit I'm sorta glad the fucker's dead.

yeah I'm not too compassionate...but I'm working on it.*

*technically, this is a lie

Last edited:
It does seem some of the people in the firing line of that murderer are pleased with his demise
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has just announced the death of terror leader Abu Musa'ab al-Zarqawi in a joint press conference with Ambassador Khalil Zad.

Al-Maliki explained that Zarqawi (and 7 of his aides) was killed in an air raid in the little town of Hibhib 8 km north of Baquba after receiving tips from residents in the area.

General Casey says more details on the operation will be available in a briefing at 3 pm local time. General Casey mentioned that Zarqawi's identity was confirmed through his fingerprints.

CONGRATULATIONS TO IRAQ, CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WHOLE WORLD ON THIS VICTORY.
link

I wonder if Juba will try and seize the spotlight now.

excuse my ignorance but is this the man that fronts one of the terrorist groups that have kidnapped and executed people and then sent the tapes of the killings out?

was it him that killed the English woman who had lived in Iraq for about 25 years running a charity looking after iraqi children?

good riddance but i am sure there are many to take his place as the country spirals into self destruction.

CKONE said:
excuse my ignorance but is this the man that fronts one of the terrorist groups that have kidnapped and executed people and then sent the tapes of the killings out?

was it him that killed the English woman who had lived in Iraq for about 25 years running a charity looking after iraqi children?

good riddance but i am sure there are many to take his place as the country spirals into self destruction.

Yes its the same monster.

I hope his death was very painful and that he died in agony. I also hope that they put his body on public display like Mussolini at the end of WWII.

Well, at least now he can join the 9/11 hijackers for drinks in hell - hoping they'll save a spot for Bin Laden as well.

P.S.: This reply is dedicated to Nick Berg and the other innocent victims of Zarqawi's butchery.......

REST IN PIECES.........

AchtungBono said:

Yes its the same monster.

I hope his death was very painful and that he died in agony. I also hope that they put his body on public display like Mussolini at the end of WWII.

Well, at least now he can join the 9/11 hijackers for drinks in hell - hoping they'll save a spot for Bin Laden as well.

P.S.: This reply is dedicated to Nick Berg and the other innocent victims of Zarqawi's butchery.......

REST IN PIECES.........

I struggle to believe in religion, any religion, but if he had a god and therefore an opposite to God I hope he languishes there and is punished for his crimes against people and humanity.

Did I read somewhere that there was a £25 million ransom for him? One of his trusted men is probably about to be living a life of luxury. Thats loyalty for you :laugh:

A more positive development is the word that the Iraqi cabinet is finally going to be filled, steps forward for a free and stable Iraq.

A_Wanderer said:
A more positive development is the word that the Iraqi cabinet is finally going to be filled, steps forward for a free and stable Iraq.

Its a lovely idea but I cant see it happening in my lifetime (btw I reckon I have about 30 years left in me if I am lucky!).

A_Wanderer said:

PS Nice Sig - Free Speech:up:

CKONE said:

Its a lovely idea but I cant see it happening in my lifetime (btw I reckon I have about 30 years left in me if I am lucky!).
The forces of Islamic theocracy are being brought to bear by the militias, it is these groups and not the salafist insurgency that represent the biggest threat to Iraqi democracy.

Last edited:
(AP) Al-Qaida in Iraq confirmed the death of its leader, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, and vowed it will continue its "holy war" in a statement posted on the Web on Thursday.

"We want to give you the joyous news of the martyrdom of the mujahed sheik Abu Musab al-Zarqawi," said the statement, signed by "Abu Abdel-Rahman al-Iraqi," identified as the deputy "emir" or leader of al-Qaida in Iraq.

"The death of our leaders is life for us. It will only increase our persistence in continuing holy war so that the word of God will be supreme," it said.

MrsSpringsteen said:
(AP) Al-Qaida in Iraq confirmed the death of its leader, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, and vowed it will continue its "holy war" in a statement posted on the Web on Thursday.

"We want to give you the joyous news of the martyrdom of the mujahed sheik Abu Musab al-Zarqawi," said the statement, signed by "Abu Abdel-Rahman al-Iraqi," identified as the deputy "emir" or leader of al-Qaida in Iraq.

"The death of our leaders is life for us. It will only increase our persistence in continuing holy war so that the word of God will be supreme," it said.

I wish them many more deaths to celebrate......

MrsSpringsteen said:

that's frightening

:up:

this is a good thing. no question. this was one of the worst men in the world.

i don't think it will matter too much tactically, since the insurgency is like a hydra and there are many who can take his place, but this is a big blow against the morale of the insurgents and a big boost to the morale of the occupiers and the Iraqi Army who have been saddled with a near-impossible task due to the ineptness of the current adminsitration.

other things i'm hearing on blogs was that it might have been locals who gave up his location. this strikes me as perhaps the most positive news. the only positive thing that has come out of this low-level Civil War is that it has unmasked the nihilism at the heart of Al-Qaeda and the sectarian militias.

now, this is Maliki's card to play -- can he use this to create a sense of unity and purpose and prevent the current slide towards anarchy?

Why did the US military frame the picture of his dead head in a nice golden wooden frame?

That is my question.

They should have made a collage on used toilet paper.

Back
Top Bottom