MSNBC debate watching thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the way that Hillary talked tonight Bill Clinton didn't do anything while he was in the White House because she did it all.

It's funny, some of the commentaries afterwards included things about Obama being a great and inspiring orator, but that that doesn't always come through in the debates. But I find him more likable in the debates than as an orator because he seems more real. The orator is too slick and I remain dumbfounded by how much people need that and eat it up (not saying that's bad, just that I simply can't relate). The debator is more like the real person--which doesn't mean he's a great debator, in fact he isn't, but I feel like I get a better sense of who he is, and I come away liking him better. If that makes any sense.

joyfulgirl said:

Neither one of them did.

Now that I've had a chance to think about it more, I agree. I suppose what I was really thinking is that Hillary seemed to make the entire answer about her accomplishments. Obama didn't specifically answer the question, but I felt like he gave a better overall answer directed more towards Hillary; which is what the question called for.

U2isthebest said:

Now that I've had a chance to think about it more, I agree. I suppose what I was really thinking is that Hillary seemed to make the entire answer about her accomplishments. Obama didn't specifically answer the question, but I felt like he gave a better overall answer directed more towards Hillary; which is what the question called for.

It was one of those loaded questions where the minute I heard it I knew there was no way either of them was going to give a direct answer. But I agree with you.

Whoa...I'm about 15 minutes in watching on msnbc.com, and I can't believe Hilary's attitude. She's overriding both Barack and the moderators with no regard to any of them. She just made a snarky comment about always getting the first question, and that maybe we should ask if Barack needs a pillow. She needs to tone that down in the coming days...

I wanted to smack Hillary about fifteen different times last night. And the sad part is, I really liked her once upon a time.

The part that I found most laughable was when she was telling Russert she'd have her records made available "as soon as we can get to it". I have a feeling she might have all the time in the world to get to those records soon enough.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I wanted to smack Hillary about fifteen different times last night. And the sad part is, I really liked her once upon a time.

The part that I found most laughable was when she was telling Russert she'd have her records made available "as soon as we can get to it". I have a feeling she might have all the time in the world to get to those records soon enough.

That's just it. I've always been an Obama supporter, but I at least didn't have an issue with Clinton. Now, I can't stand the woman. She's backed into a corner and knows it, and so she strikes out. It's too bad.

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's too late to tone it down, the horses left the barn and they're on their way to China

I'm not familiar with that saying, but I like it! :lol:

Again, she did nothing to stop his momentum, and her tone may hurt her. We'll see.

yeah she didn't seem too organized.

does anyone know if the transcript is up anywhere?

The thing is, Clinton really had no choice but to try anything at this point. That's just where she's at right now, so I can't really blame her. It's her last stand. If she does nothing, she'll be criticized for not doing enough, so either way, she loses.

I'm not going to rip her for trying, though. That's just lame. If the roles were reversed, I have no doubt the Obama campaign would be trying the same thing. That's just the way it is.

phanan said:
The thing is, Clinton really had no choice but to try anything at this point. That's just where she's at right now, so I can't really blame her. It's her last stand. If she does nothing, she'll be criticized for not doing enough, so either way, she loses.

Very true, but had she not done some of the things she had done in her campaign she may not be in this position now. :shrug:

I'm not ripping her, I was just a tad annoyed with her last night. Hell, I was annoyed with Obama when he wouldn't outright say he rejected Farakahn's endorsement, but at least he conceeded in the end.

^ In response to phanan, I don't know if Obama would act in the same way. He came into the race not really expected to get the nomination. He knew he was the underdog, so I don't think he ever felt as defensive when he was down earlier in the campaign as Hillary does now. If things radically change and he doesn't end up getting the nomination, he has a lot more time to run again. Hillary, while being far from old, senses, perhaps rightfully, that her time is now or never. She came into the race as the wife of one of the most loved and most successful presidents in American history and as an accomplished, brilliant politician in her own right. I think she felt almost entitled to the nomination, and now that there's a strong possibility she won't get it, she's getting desperate. The Obama campaign has never had that sense of pressure about it.

Last edited:

Very true, but had she not done some of the things she had done in her campaign she may not be in this position now. :shrug:

I don't know - I get the feeling it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Obama got on a roll and there wasn't anything she could do to stop it.

I'm not ripping her, I was just a tad annoyed with her last night. Hell, I was annoyed with Obama when he wouldn't outright say he rejected Farakahn's endorsement, but at least he conceeded in the end.

Yeah, they were both annoying at different moments last night. Obviously, Clinton referring to Saturday Night Live and the pillow bit was a bit strange and awkward. At the same time, I thought it was poor for Obama to mention how the other campaign "whines" about things, when his own campaign has done its fair share of whining as well, and all about stupid, little things. Wait until the Republican smear campaign starts...

U2isthebest said:
^ In response to phanan, I don't know if Obama would act in the same way. He came into the race not really expected to get the nomination. He knew he was the underdog, so I don't think he ever felt as defensive when he was down earlier in the campaign as Hillary does now. If things radically change and he doesn't end up getting the nomination, he has a lot more time to run again. Hillary, while being far from old, senses, perhaps rightfully, that her time is now or never. She came into the race as the wife of one of the most loved and most successful presidents in American history and as an accomplished, brilliant politician in her own right. I think she felt almost entitled to the nomination, and now that there's a strong possibility she won't get it, she's getting desperate. The Obama campaign has never had that sense of pressure about it.

While Obama was considered an underdog at the outset, he's been the clear favorite since Super Tuesday, as the momentum has been on his side. Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that for some reason or another, Clinton was able to regain the upper hand (unrealistic as that seems now), and was considered the front-runner again. I would most definitely think the Obama campaign, having had the nomination within its grasp, would do whatever it takes to get it, and I wouldn't blame them for it, because in politics, you have to do what is necessary to win, even if it means getting your hands dirty.

phanan said:

While Obama was considered an underdog at the outset, he's been the clear favorite since Super Tuesday, as the momentum has been on his side. Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that for some reason or another, Clinton was able to regain the upper hand (unrealistic as that seems now), and was considered the front-runner again. I would most definitely think the Obama campaign, having had the nomination within its grasp, would do whatever it takes to get it, and I wouldn't blame them for it, because in politics, you have to do what is necessary to win, even if it means getting your hands dirty.

I definitely agree that if things were to drastically change again, and Hillary was back on top, that Obama wouldn't simply sit back and passively do nothing. I'm sure he would fight for the nomination. As they both said last night, they both feel they're the most qualified to be president or else they wouldn't be running. I would hope that to be true of any candidate. What I can't see the Obama campaign doing, if they somehow revert back to the underdog position is taking on a defiant position of hopelessness like I'm seeing from the Clinton campaign. She's acting as the political equivalent of a teenager who's being as spiteful towards her parents as possible in order to guilt them into giving her what she wants.

phanan said:

Yeah, they were both annoying at different moments last night. Obviously, Clinton referring to Saturday Night Live and the pillow bit was a bit strange and awkward. At the same time, I thought it was poor for Obama to mention how the other campaign "whines" about things, when his own campaign has done its fair share of whining as well, and all about stupid, little things. Wait until the Republican smear campaign starts...

I've been watching the race pretty closely for a while now, and I haven't seen anything that makes me the Obama camp has been whining. But Hillary over the past few days....Put a sock in it, lady!

Back
Top Bottom