MSF (Medecins Sans Frontieres) rejects link of humanitarian and military actions - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2001, 12:57 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 04:18 AM
MSF (Medecins Sans Frontieres) rejects link of humanitarian and military actions

http://www.msf.org/countries/page.cf...F5119552D7CD9E

Airdrops of food and medical aid described as of 'negligible value' and 'potentially dangerous'

Press release, Islamabad, Oct 8, 2001: The international medical aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), which has been working in Afghanistan since 1979, today cast doubt on the so-called 'humanitarian airdrops' by US and British military forces, which have accompanied the military strikes against Afghanistan over the last 24-hours. Such action does not answer the needs of the Afghan people and is likely to undermine attempts to deliver substantial aid to the most vulnerable.

MSF's Dr Jean-Herve Bradol, speaking from Pakistan, explained that the so-called 'humanitarian' action, was in fact a purely propaganda tool, of little real value to the Afghan people.

Moreover, the deliberate adoption by the military of a 'humanitarian' purpose, was likely to cause real problems for truly independent non-governmental aid organisations who are less likely to be perceived as impartial actors in the future.

"How will the Afghan population know in the future if an offer of humanitarian aid does not hide a military operation?" questions Dr Bradol. "We have seen many times before, for example in Somalia, the problems caused for both the vulnerable population and for aid agencies when the military try to both fight a war and deliver aid at the same time."

Dr Bradol explained that the real impact of the much-vaunted 37,500 single day rations on the burgeoning nutritional crisis within Afghanistan was likely to be minimal.

"What is needed is large scale convoys of basic foodstuffs, rather than single meals designed for soldiers. Until yesterday the UN and aid agencies such as ourselves were still able to get some food convoys into Afghanistan. Due to the airstrikes the UN have stopped all convoys, and we will find delivering aid also much more difficult."

Doctors from MSF also expressed concern at the reported airdropping of medical supplies. "Medical relief is not the same as dropping medicines by plane. Unless they are administered by qualified medical staff, medicines can actually do more harm than good", said Dr Bradol. "Dropping a few cases of drugs and food in the middle of the night during air raids, without knowing who is going to collect them, is virtually useless and may even be dangerous".

Medecins Sans Frontieres therefore rejects the idea of a humanitarian coalition alongside the military coalition, as requested by President Bush and Prime Minister Blair, and calls for the imperative necessity of independent humanitarian action.

------------------

Got to walk out of here, I can't take anymore
Gonna stand on that bridge, keep my eyes down below
Whatever may come and whatever may go
that river's flowing

"Don't Give Up", Peter Gabriel

Old 10-10-2001, 05:50 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 09:18 PM
Fuck the people who are criticizing us that is. Keep airdropping the food and medicine.

MAP (the u2 fan formerly known as MP)

Old 10-10-2001, 07:43 PM   #3
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
I think that dropping food is a good thing. It shows the Afghans that we are not out to get them - just the Taliban. If we didn't care about the people, we'd "carpet bomb" Afghanistan instead of surgical strikes.
I dont think so; outside the US, ppl (including me), see that "food droppin" as a way to pretend that your gov cares about afghani ppl meanwhile they dont.'Cos if they really care about that ppl you wont be destroying their houses...(that, as long as we dont include the 20 civilians dead during last Monday's bombing -check intenational newspapers-). I dont mean to attack you, just want you to consider this. I know what Al Q'aeda did (if it was Al Q'aeda, i still doubt it) was horrible (or even more than horrible, it is just that there are no words to express it) but what Us Gov is doing is not much better.

Love and peace on earth!

------------------
Patti
-Pride Girl-
Old 10-10-2001, 07:51 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:18 PM
Patti, I hope you don't think we're bombing houses. We're making surgical strikes. We're bombing military installments and military airbases.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:53 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Patti, I hope you don't think we're bombing houses. We're making surgical strikes. We're bombing military installments and military airbases. And making surgical strikes is MUCH better than flying planes into sides of buildings and killing 6000 people.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:55 PM   #6
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Fuck the people who are criticizing us that is. Keep airdropping the food and medicine.
Or try to get a way to give that food (or the money of that food) to ONG that will do a good use of it, don't you think it is better to try to do the thing in the right way? You are United Statians, you can help your gov to improve itself.

PS: BTW, that way of thinking "fuck those that critize us" is what made (and will keep)terrorists attack you. Im so sorry about that (both things, the attacks and you dont changing your mind).

------------------
Patti
-Pride Girl-
Old 10-10-2001, 08:06 PM   #7
The Fly

Quote:
Patti, I hope you don't think we're bombing houses. We're making surgical strikes. We're bombing military installments and military airbases. And making surgical strikes is MUCH better than flying planes into sides of buildings and killing 6000 people.
Sure that making surgical strikes is A LOT better than flying planes into a building and killing ppl. I ABSOLUTELY agree.

But, please, again, check foreign NATO newspapers. I think we will never know the TRUE, but just in case, dont think you are completely right, listen to both side's stories. In my country we heard of 20 civilians deads and in spanish CNN we can see the images of destroyed houses

------------------
Patti
-Pride Girl-
Old 10-10-2001, 08:07 PM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Sure that making surgical strikes is A LOT better than flying planes into a building and killing ppl. I ABSOLUTELY agree.

But, please, again, check foreign NATO newspapers. I think we will never know the TRUE, but just in case, dont think you are completely right, listen to both side's stories. In my country we heard of 20 civilians deads and in spanish CNN we can see the images of destroyed houses

And try to remember if this would be the first time your gov lies to you. (It wont be the first time that your and our gov lie to us, here)

------------------
Patti
-Pride Girl-
Old 10-10-2001, 08:12 PM   #9
War Child

I read a thing with a guy from a nother aid agency saying similar stuff. Appreciates the gesture, but it's not actually that good.
He was also worried about them landing in mine fields, kids running out to them, bang, etc.
So your damned if you do, damned if you don't huh?

But the Red Cross won't be too far behind in going back in, which is good. I have a relative who is a Red Cross worker, he's fluent in some insane amount of languages and works as a negotiator. Goes into war zones and negotiates with both sides to allow the Red Cross in, and guarantee their safety. Pretty scary work. He's on the Afghan/Pakistan border at the moment. He sent an email to another family member and they are really just waiting for the missiles to stop dropping before they are going to go in and try and talk to the Taliban or 'whoever' is in control then.

Crazy bastards.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:48 PM   #10
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden:
So your damned if you do, damned if you don't huh?
Again, you can try to do it better!

Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden:
But the Red Cross won't be too far behind in going back in, which is good. I have a relative who is a Red Cross worker, he's fluent in some insane amount of languages and works as a negotiator. Goes into war zones and negotiates with both sides to allow the Red Cross in, and guarantee their safety. Pretty scary work. He's on the Afghan/Pakistan border at the moment. He sent an email to another family member and they are really just waiting for the missiles to stop dropping before they are going to go in and try and talk to the Taliban or 'whoever' is in control then.
Crazy bastards.
So, would it be better if that food money is given to the red cross? I think so.

Love and peace on earth.

------------------
Patti
-Pride Girl-
Old 10-10-2001, 10:28 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Everyone hates us no matter what we try to do, so why do we even bother anymore?

*sighs*

Old 10-10-2001, 10:50 PM   #12
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
Everyone hates us no matter what we try to do, so why do we even bother anymore?

*sighs*

'Cos you dont want to live through another stuff alike WTC, and c'mon! It would be nice to try to have peace on earth (a true peace, not the kind we use to have before the Sept 11 attack, a peace in wich every country and every place on earth can have the freedom they want to, and the gov they want to, and the religion they want to...a non violence peace...)...it would be SO great if we all could, that it worth the try!

Love and truthly peace on earth!

------------------
Patti
-Pride Girl-
Old 10-11-2001, 12:19 AM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:

*sighs*

Not true.

(((Hugs America)))

The sad truth is, the bigger someone/something gets, the more some people want to knock it down. It's a sad part of human nature.

And mostly it's fear that's causing it, people are scared of whats next. The US is an easy target for that fear.

Everyone wants the same end result though, just different views of how to get there.

Does the US do things around the world that shits people? Definetely yes.
Does it do things in the Middle East that could/should have been done differently? Yep.
But did they deserve this? Hell no.
Is there any other option for dealing with bin Laden? Hell no.

And the "America/*insert other country name here* is the best, I won't listen to anything otherwise" attitude is always going to rub people the wrong way.

But non-US people here should give the US people here more room for rants like that, because even if it shits you, or is too over-patriotic and arrogant for you, think if it happened to your city and you'd be storming this bored with over the top pro-Australia, pro-UK etc, over aggressive stuff as well.
Remember the 'step in someone elses shoes' thing?

And there are people in this forum from countries who have had similar evil acts committed to them who don't get a massive worldwide support like the US, and they should be given less criticism for a rant.

And in a forum like this it's easy to mis-read things. Obviously no-one 'intends' to hurt anyone else here with what they write.

And Americans should be very very proud of how their country has handled everything since Sept 11, from the way you all instantly rallied around each other, to the way your government didn't do something dumb and knee jerk like the rest of the world was expecting (I bet Colin Powell's a big part of that) to the way the attacks over the last few days seem to be working very very well with a minimum of fuck ups, which again I don't think the rest of the world expected.

And it's just a forum.

But American beer is so piss-weak and watered down it's barely beer.

And you can keep yer P.Diddy.

(end rant)

Old 10-11-2001, 12:26 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Patti Jones:

I see that one of your interests is "human rights;" it is one of my interests too!

But you may disagree with me on this:

Even prior to the Sept. 11 tragedy, I would have supported a military action to remove the repressive governments of Afghanistan (the Taliban) and Sudan, among some other countries. We all know about the atrocities committed by the Taliban regarding religious freedom and women's rights; and Sudan, their government still has SlAVERY, plus religious persecution. But I don't see how such regimes will ever come down without force! They aren't going to just say "Okay, slaves, you're free! Everyone else, let's have democratic elections!"

~U2Alabama
Old 10-11-2001, 12:29 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:18 PM
and p.s. TylerDurde: I like Australia, and appreciate everything your country has done to help us through the years!

~U2Alabama