Mr. President, You're Leading Us Off A Cliff-Stop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Check out this speech by Joe Biden yesterday when they were debating the Iraq resolution. It was powerful. And they better not take it off of YouTube-grab it while it's hot :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1op8vwF5UA

Here's Biden on the Senate's responsibility to the troops:

"They should have the courage to stand up and tell the administration, they have had a God-awful policy, they have put our troops in a position that, in fact, has made it virtually impossible for them to succeed at the outset.

"They deserve a policy. They deserve a plan. There is no plan. We went to war with too few troops, we went to war unnecessarily. We went to war with these men and women ill-equipped, they're coming home ill-served.

"It's about time we have the courage to stand up and say to the president 'Mr. President, you have not only put us in harm's way you have harmed us! You have no policy, Mr. President'

"I'm so tired of hearing on this floor about courage. Have the courage to tell the administration, 'stop this ridiculous policy you have.'"

More Biden on the folly of the Bush-McCain Doctrine of sending yet more troops to Iraq:

"This is a cycle of self-sustaining sectarian violence that 20,000, 30,000, 50,000, 100,000 Americans will not be able to stop. This is ridiculous. There is no plan. I ask the president and everyone else who comes forward with a plan, whether it's 'capping' or 'surging' or whatever they have, what will answer the two-word test? Then what? Then what? Then What?

"What happens after we surge these women and men? And by the way, you say General Patraeus is one who believes... He may be the only one who believes this is a good idea! Virtually nobody else thinks it's a good idea."

And on how Bush is breaking the U.S. military:

"So as long as the president keeps us on this ridiculous path, taking us off a cliff -- I ask my colleagues, does anybody think they're going to be able to sustain keeping American forces in Iraq, at 160,000, for another year and a half? What do you think? What do you think is going to happen in Tennessee, in Delaware, in Illinois?

"Are we gonna break this man and woman's army? What are we gonna do here? How many times are we going to ask those 175,000 to rotate, three, four, five, six, seven times?"

And he ends with what every person in Congress should be saying right now: "Mr. President, you're leading us off a cliff. Stop!"

MrsSpringsteen said:

"Are we gonna break this man and woman's army? What are we gonna do here? How many times are we going to ask those 175,000 to rotate, three, four, five, six, seven times?"

I just heard a number

enlisted have gone AWOL or deserted

most get processed out in 10-14 days

under a dishonorable discharge, with no benefits of course

and they must repay any bonuses they got when they signed up

I have one question, and it's a harsh qiestion: Did Joe Biden vote in favor of the war in March 2003 (oe whnever the Congressional approval vote was.) I'm sure he did, along with 99.9% of everyone else. Even in the face of weeks of massive domestic and worldwide protest, and assuming that most of these people have had a t least smattering of Mideast history which would have set off alarm bells to wake the dead. Or did Joe Biden allow himself to be bullied by the foaming at the mouth hysteria that Cheney and his ilk generated, the same kind that is now being stoked for Iran (or they're trying to.) The importnat thing to remember is, even for those who didn't buy inot the bulls##t, they still VOTED for it. Actions speak louder than words. The "colleague" Biden is addressing is no doubt fellow "Dem" Senator Joe Lieberman, who has been quoted recently as being A"larmed at the direction the Democratic Party is taking n foreign policy" and had threatned Ried that he will switch parties (thus handing the Senate back to the Republicands) if they get some backbone about things. Liberman no doubt stood there smug andsmirking. Like Gonzalez, they know passionate speeches are hot air.

Teta040 said:
I have one question, and it's a harsh qiestion: Did Joe Biden vote in favor of the war in March 2003 (oe whnever the Congressional approval vote was.) I'm sure he did, along with 99.9% of everyone else.

did anyone ever vote in favor of this Iraq war?

or did they give the President the right to take action
if necessary
to protect America from another 911.

and also,

Did not the President say he would go for a second vote at the U N, before any action against Iraq.

and the vote was never even close to 99.9%

some were smart enough not to trust this administration to be capable of using sound judgment or keeping their word.

Bush-McCain Doctrine

ROFLMAO.....is this the way the liberals are going to attempt to destroy McCain?

This just in Dennis Koo Koo Kachinich is beating Biden in the polls...

Apparently many of the voters remember 1988.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
Bush-McCain Doctrine

ROFLMAO.....is this the way the liberals are going to attempt to destroy McCain?

Why would they have to?

He's tanking himself quite formidably. What a joke he has become. Deservedly so.

French PM calls for Iraq withdrawal

Dominique de Villepin, the French prime minister, has urged the United States and other foreign nations to withdraw from Iraq in 2008 and said the war had "shattered" America's image abroad.

"The Iraqi conflict ... is sapping the power of the United States to peacefully influence other players in the troubled Middle East," he said on Friday.

"The war with Iraq marked a turning point. It shattered America's image," Villepin, , told an audience at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

"It undermined the image of the West as a whole. It is time for the United States and Europe to regain together the respect and admiration of the other people."

anitram said:

Why would they have to?

He's tanking himself quite formidably. What a joke he has become. Deservedly so.

That is my point. McCain has been a critic of the handling of the war from the start. Trying to link him to Bush is laughable to me.

I would have voted for McCain prior to the last six months though.

As of now, I would not vote for him.

I also would not vote for Joe biden, who has throughout his career had foot in mouth disease. He makes some good points, but he never knows when to shut it.

I would hope Kucinich would be ahead of Biden...there's hope for us yet I guess.

Back
Top Bottom