Mr Greenspan's amazing invisible thesis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...For years, NYU told the public that, at Greenspan's request, the thesis was locked away from public view in a vault at its Bobst Library. Auerbach himself was told this in January 2004 when he tried to obtain a copy...Auerbach, who has a PhD in economics from the University of Chicago (Nobel laureate Milton Friedman was his thesis adviser), kept requesting access to the papers until NYU's provost, David McLaughlin, finally admitted in August 2005 that, "I can tell you that it was the practice of the business school, during the 1970s, not to deposit dissertations with the library. Thus, a copy of Greenspan's dissertation is not in the Bobst Library. We suggest that you contact Greenspan directly in order to obtain a copy of his dissertation."
:crack:

(I wonder if Auerbach checked to see if in fact there were other business school dissertations from the 70s in the library? Because I can't imagine there wouldn't be...kinda the whole frickin' point of completing one after all.)

Considering the era, I'm not necessarily surprised that someone with Greenspan's gunnexions could get paddled through the system like that, but it is pretty unbelievable that in 2005 a major university provost would try to tell an academic researcher with a straight face that "oh back in the 70s we didn't bother putting dissertations on file". Riiiiiigghhht...

Back
Top Bottom