Mr. George W. Bush may go on to become one of our greatest Presidents of all time - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2002, 02:54 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
Yah.. Apparently in this poll among Blacks.. Abraham Lincoln.. The president responsible for 'FREEING the SLAVES', finished Second to.. Bill Clinton.. Hahahaha.. I practically laughed my ass off when I heard this.. and You know why?.. In the words of Tony Morrison, Bill Clinton was in all senses of teh word a 'Black President', because he 'Cheated, Lied, and was Running from the Law'.. Just like Black men.. Or so she says.. Hahahahaa.. poor saps.. I think we need to send our prayers out to them Diamond.. Maybe include them in our latest Rosary.

L.Unplugged

Excuse me? I'm honestly finding it hard to believe that anyone could post something so offensive on a public message board.

I'm sorry, I don't want to start a fight, but I just find that comment absolutely disgusting. Racism is unacceptable. No exceptions. There are never circumstances under which it's acceptable to insult someone because of the colour of their skin. There's enough racism in this world already, let's try to at least keep this forum free from prejudices like that.

[This message has been edited by FizzingWhizzbees (edited 02-20-2002).]

Old 02-20-2002, 02:58 PM   #107
Refugee

Local Time: 01:16 PM
I may be wrong, but I *believe* that Lemonite was merely quoting Morrison, a black author.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:46 PM   #108
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Apparently you misunderstood me.. the great cause of many arguments and fights in this world.. (Just a tidbit of philosophy for the world)... Ah let's see where to start from, Ok, First of all, you've accused me of being a racist, That's a disgusting thing to do when you even admitted that you were possibly speculating.. That's like yelling Rape because you were too much of a Ho to admit to sleeping with a man, or were worried about what your parents were going to say.. You don't even know me... And this is much different from calling someone say a communist, or maybe a war monger.. Which we're all guilty of at one time or another..

Bubba was right, I was extrapolating from what Toni Morrison said.. I didn't have a transcript of what she said, it was something I heard on the radio... And I heard there was more.. What she's saying is that he has this bond with the black man, he was a Cheat, he was a philanderer, and because the law is always after him, and therefore there is this bond like I was stating.... This erudite Black American woman.. herself.

AND Anyone that by stating he was the greatest president is wholly acknowledging that they are willing to be lied to about everything by their president.. I don't care who they are.. Black.. White.. Asian.. Democrat.. Republican.. (Stefanopalis I include in this as well) And yes Poor saps they are.. And they should be prayed for..

But your bomb has been dropped, It's a little too late, lecturing me on being a racist, and including the words 'I'm sorry, I don't want to start a fight', in the same sentence, What kind of logic are you trying to pull over my head? I'm sorry for you, truly.

L.Unplugged
Old 02-20-2002, 05:10 PM   #109
Refugee

Please, let's not allow this discussion to escalate into anything uncivilized.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:31 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

this thread is still going?
Old 02-20-2002, 06:05 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Lemonite,
I don't want to start a fight and I apologise for interpreting your post wrongly.

However, I still don't see how you interpret Toni Morrison's comments as describing Clinton as a "cheat" "philanderer" and "running from the law". I would interpret the quote as saying Clinton was "the focus of persecution" and drawing a parellel between this and the persecution Black people face, notably from the police. Of course you can debate whether it's in any way an accurate comparison, but that's what I'd interpret it as. I certainly wouldn't see it as describing Clinton as basically a criminal, and then claiming Black people can relate to him because he's a criminal!

And I really do apologise for misinterpreting your words. I know I'd be angry if I were accused of being something I'm not, so I'm sorry that I did that to you. And I hope we can get this back to a civilised discussion now

*Fizz
Old 02-20-2002, 06:46 PM   #112
Banned

Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
this thread is still going?
Yes it is

Old 02-21-2002, 12:23 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
Lemonite,
I don't want to start a fight and I apologise for interpreting your post wrongly.

*Fizz
Apology accepted, however, I would have been more immediately inclined to do so had you left out the smiley face at the end of the post.. But seriously, it's just a difference of opinions... I'll just leave it at that for now at least.

Anyways, Bubba, you are a healer of sorts.. Maybe you can teach me the good ol' Dhalsim Yoga Transport.

L.Unplugged
Old 02-21-2002, 01:59 AM   #114
you are what you is

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Anyways, Bubba, you are a healer of sorts..
yes and I'm a liberal who only cracks down on conservatives

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 02-21-2002, 03:08 AM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
I may be wrong, but I *believe* that Lemonite was merely quoting Morrison, a black author.
I believe this is what Toni Morrison actually said about Clinton being the first black president:

Quote:
Years ago, in the middle of the Whitewater investigation, one heard the first murmurs: white skin notwithstanding, this is our first black president. Blacker than any actual black person who could ever be elected in our children's lifetime. After all, Clinton displays almost every trope of blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald's-and-junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas. And when virtually all the African-American Clinton appointees began, one by one, to disappear, when the president's body, his privacy, his unpoliced sexuality became the focus of the persecution, when he was metaphorically seized and body-searched, who could gainsay these black men who knew whereof they spoke?
I don't see any mention of lying, cheating or running from the law there.

And it was this part of Lemonite's post which I found offensive:

Quote:
Just like Black men.. Or so she says.. Hahahahaa.. poor saps.. I think we need to send our prayers out to them Diamond.. Maybe include them in our latest Rosary.
Although maybe I should wait for Lemonite to clarify what s/he actually meant by that statement, rather than speculating.

[This message has been edited by FizzingWhizzbees (edited 02-20-2002).]
Old 02-21-2002, 07:14 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome:
Quote:
Anyways, Bubba, you are a healer of sorts..
yes and I'm a liberal who only cracks down on conservatives

Uhhh.. Whatever you wish man.. I keep probing ya to see if you'll laugh one of these days.

Must be Mod Envy.

L.Unplugged

Old 02-21-2002, 08:19 AM   #117
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Quote:
Uhhh.. Whatever you wish man.. I keep probing ya to see if you'll laugh one of these days.

Must be Mod Envy.

L.Unplugged

be very afraid

Old 02-21-2002, 09:16 AM   #118
you are what you is

Local Time: 07:16 PM
I laugh 80% of the time

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 02-21-2002, 10:55 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome:
I laugh 80% of the time

Haha.. Well said, however I'd see if I could push it up to the more rounded number of 81%.. it just carries that extra umpfh.. just kidding.

L.Unplugged

Old 02-23-2002, 08:35 PM   #120
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Was I imagining things, or did I hear that George W. Bush and Tony Blair were just nominated fot the Nobel Peace Prize?