Mr. George W. Bush may go on to become one of our greatest Presidents of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by the HORROR:
Anthony,
I don't know what to say now. Melon respectfully agreed with me on this; "focus on the issue, not the person".

Should we converse anymore, then maybe we should take a look into this as well.

In my last post to you, which I could have edited away, I seemed to have forgotten that but I will leave the post stand for relevance.

This isn't mature??

------------------
"So Mr. Bin Laden, I hear you have an intrest in our airplanes...Let me show you this one, we like to call it the B-52

it was mature
but not about the content of his posts

he made some valid points

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Sorry for jumping in late...

But let me just ask one question; why would you dislike this guy so much if he is trying to rid the "entire world" of terrorism, not just america.
Is that a rhetorical question? If not, maybe because people disagree with how he has appointed himself leader of the free world and because they disagree with how he goes about saving us all.
I don't really believe that the rest of the world dislikes him as much as you would indicate, we seem to have allies all over the place.
Fine. Many of your countrymen have proven themselves masters of denial. But the fact is that many people who used to support Tony Blair - myself included - have turned against him because of his doe-eyed gullibility in supporting Bush.
Originally posted by chain:
This author say?s Bush is a simpleton. He spent quite a bit of time with him. Maybe he knows something?
I doubt it - that article seems highly silly and irrelevant to me. A president is not required to be "with it" in the manner portrayed in that article, and if you ask me, the only thing it shows is an unhealthy obsession with Leonardo DiCaprio on the author's part. Although I will concede that not knowing of Stone Phillips is rather embarrassing.
Originally posted by TylerDurden:
Domestic - Don't know & obviously has no effect on me.
International - No. I don't think he's gonna leave the place in better shape then when he found it. Probably not even close. And you guys will notice it because you'll notice more 'anti-US' out there. Problem is the reason why I don't think he's that good is because I don't think he'd listen or would care. I just get the feeling he's too 'The US is right because the US is the US and thats the end of that.'
I agree wholeheartedly.
Originally posted by Lemonite:
but Did you watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony.. Did you see him there in the crowd with that girl athlete?.. He knows this country.. Him just there mingling,.. Talking to an athlete's MOTHER on the phone.. the President of the USA.. He wasn't hiding away up in some press box, like presidents in the past have done..

I wouldn't expect you to understand the bond Americans have with each other.. patriotically speaking.. And the one Bush has with the people..
Well, I'll be darned! That is just the cutest thang I've read all day! Makes me want to come over and ruffle your hair - maybe even tickle your little chin! Golly gee!
smile.gif
I can; "Whitewater" & "Travelgate"
There you go.
Thank you! That "can you say..." trend on this forum is getting to be as annoying as ending a sentence with "so..." and people saying "it's no secret at all".
Hahahah.. Whoa.. I always thought you were a girl.. Eesh... Yes.. Eesh.. That was weird.
Yeah, you're a real gender-bender, Lemonite. Salome's isn't the only one you've misjudged in that department.
biggrin.gif

And finally let me add that I find it hard to take anyone seriously who either agrees or disagrees 100% with the president or any other politician for that matter. And there seems to be a lot on both sides of that fence here, not only in this thread but generally speaking.

[This message has been edited by Klodomir (edited 02-12-2002).]

Salome, you're precious <grin>.

I agree with those who insist on criticizing the issue at hand and not the person. (sigh)

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Although I will concede that not knowing of Stone Phillips is rather embarrassing.
Haha.. Yah.. but let's be serious, It'd be hard pressed to discern that dude from a Marble Statue.. Except he'd be impeccably dressed...

Well, I'll be darned! That is just the cutest thang I've read all day! Makes me want to come over and ruffle your hair - maybe even tickle your little chin! Golly gee!
smile.gif
Don't forget the pedicure by the masked Vietnamese in the far reaches of the local strip mall. I hear they can stencil in a profile of Nessie into a Pinkey Nail.
Yeah, you're a real gender-bender, Lemonite. Salome's isn't the only one you've misjudged in that department.
biggrin.gif
Hahah.. Why is it that I get the feeling Larry Mullen's Pop angel isn't the sweetheart we all know her to be? (Insert non threatening smiley face here)

L.Unplugged

Hahah.. Why is it that I get the feeling Larry Mullen's Pop angel isn't the sweetheart we all know her to be? (Insert non threatening smiley face here)
Nope, I wasn't referring to her. But why don't you have a look here - you might be in for a few surprises.

the HORROR, there is no point in responding to your so-called mature response. I don't really care what the original topic was, there was something in your point that not only did I disagree with, but KNOW for a FACT is wrong. Claiming the USA to be the most loved country in the world is as just as false as saying that the USA is the biggest exporter in latex condoms - its simply an erroneous notion.

Now, the only thing that truly irritates me, like a piece of corn between my teeth that just won't disappear is people taking such an observation as 'No, you aren't so well-loved by so many allies' as Anti-American, American-bashing, American-crapping etc. etc. What on EARTH is your problem? A simple bleeding observation and you take it WHOLLY out of context.

And before you go on with your accusations as to my being anti-american, I know you weren't here when this whole war on Terrorism debate started here, and I was 100% behind the USA supporting it and defending it when your so-called Anti-American protestors were calling your country the shit of the shits. Not only did I back your country up, but I defended it from slanderous effects, trying desperately to keep a balanced mind on everything and seeing the whole war on terrorism for what it was. So before you make serious accusations about MY views on America, you should do some research; I have never made an outright negative comment towards your country, if I had, you would have known about it, because I wouldn't have even bothered to be diplomatic about it.

And in response to your calling my 'what a load of shit' immature, I don't even feel the need to justify myself. Look around this message board, and you will find the most depressingly stupid and retarded comments concerning serious subject matter, from both liberals and conservatives. And when I mean serious, I MEAN serious - not a 'Oh, look how wonderful our President is'. How the bloody hell would you like it if I started a thread on the greatness of Tony Blair. Yes, I think history will consider him the greatest there ever was, his speeches the most glorious and divine, his tupee the most fashion-conscious... ITS RIDICULOUS. Yes, lets see how you would take it if I started a Tony Blair Glorification Thread, not only would it be the most absurd and pathetic thread ever seen, it would perfectly induce you to think what I thought when I read the nature of the thread; 'What a load of shit'. And how can you even deign to call me immature when your responses are packed with nasty little jibes such as 'grow up' and 'I don't have time to respond... but this IS crap'. Seems to me we're on the same boat, don't assume your method of argument is any better than mine. It isn't. The most offensive thing I ever did to you directly was say that you didn't know how foreigners think, and I still hold to that notion if you believe that most of the free world loves you.

No matter how much I agree with this war on Terrorism, the fact is you DO NOT have allies everywhere. I am sorry if you fail to see this, or even worse, I'm sorry that you feel that anyone bringing this to your attention is anti-American.

Now, I'm sorry, but I am NOT anti-american simply because I see things how they are and try to make my views balanced. I don't know where you've been nor do I care, you obviously haven't been around enough.

Ant.

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 02-12-2002).]

This isn't mature??

No, it isn't mature. Its diplomatically cryptic, a mere sign that you simply won't accept what you hear because the way its presented to you.

And as much respect as I have for Melon (and I do, there is no one on this board I respect more), he is not the epitome of concentrating on the issue and not arguing with one sole person. He and Achtung Bubba are renowned for their fights to the finish.

Ant.

Well, there's nothing better than doing what most of America has wanted to do for years: and having a reason, especially towards an approval rating. He got so damned lucky.

I know I'm late in the game here, but I think Anthony brought up some really good points.

To think that America is the most loved country in the world indicates that some people would be better off should they choose to remove those blinders they have on.

I am American, and in a lot of ways I am very proud to be a part of a country that has given me so much. But on the other hand I will criticize it like I would my parents.
wink.gif
The USA has many great accomplishments under their belts, but on the same token, it's history is marked with many atrocities. It is far from being a perfect nation - and any criticism I see coming from non-US Americans (Anthony and others in this forum) I view as constructive. Thanks to a global economy and the internet, the world is a much smaller place than it used to be. It is vital that we all try and understand a global view of current issues - if not or our sake, then for the sake of future generations to come because the world is only going to get smaller and smaller. We have to reach an accord, and we should be adult enough to realize that when someone criticizes the American government and/or it's foreign policies, it isn't necessarily a personal slam on the individual. I realize that one's national pride may get in the way because to an extent, the American government is intended to be representative of its citizens - but I think in debates where the US government is being criticized we need to swallow a little bit of that pride so we can at least wash it down with another point of view coming from an outsider looking in.

Am I even making the slightest bit of sense?

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
I know I'm late in the game here, but I think Anthony brought up some really good points.

To think that America is the most loved country in the world indicates that some people would be better off should they choose to remove those blinders they have on.

I am American, and in a lot of ways I am very proud to be a part of a country that has given me so much. But on the other hand I will criticize it like I would my parents.
wink.gif
The USA has many great accomplishments under their belts, but on the same token, it's history is marked with many atrocities. It is far from being a perfect nation - and any criticism I see coming from non-US Americans (Anthony and others in this forum) I view as constructive. Thanks to a global economy and the internet, the world is a much smaller place than it used to be. It is vital that we all try and understand a global view of current issues - if not or our sake, then for the sake of future generations to come because the world is only going to get smaller and smaller. We have to reach an accord, and we should be adult enough to realize that when someone criticizes the American government and/or it's foreign policies, it isn't necessarily a personal slam on the individual. I realize that one's national pride may get in the way because to an extent, the American government is intended to be representative of its citizens - but I think in debates where the US government is being criticized we need to swallow a little bit of that pride so we can at least wash it down with another point of view coming from an outsider looking in.

Am I even making the slightest bit of sense?

You make perfect sense to me, adams_mistress, as you usually do. However, watch out, because you might be accused of hating your own country by the HORROR.

Ant.

...Better at having a lot of his friends around him mysteriously turn up dead
Hm, I only noticed this now. This is an urban legend.

Originally posted by Anthony:
You make perfect sense to me, adams_mistress, as you usually do. However, watch out, because you might be accused of hating your own country by the HORROR.

Ant.

Thats uncalled for "ant", and I have put up with enough of your crap.

------------------

"The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, & that we cut off the OXYGEN SUPPLY to these CRAZY FANATICS!" ~Bono 11/05/01

"So Mr. Bin Laden, I hear you have an intrest in our airplanes...Let me show you this one, we like to call it the B-52

the HORROR, there is no point in responding to your so-called mature response. I don't really care what the original topic was, there was something in your point that not only did I disagree with, but KNOW for a FACT is wrong. Claiming the USA to be the most loved country in the world is as just as false as saying that the USA is the biggest exporter in latex condoms - its simply an erroneous notion.

Now, the only thing that truly irritates me, like a piece of corn between my teeth that just won't disappear is people taking such an observation as 'No, you aren't so well-loved by so many allies' as Anti-American, American-bashing, American-crapping etc. etc. What on EARTH is your problem? A simple bleeding observation and you take it WHOLLY out of context.

And before you go on with your accusations as to my being anti-american, I know you weren't here when this whole war on Terrorism debate started here, and I was 100% behind the USA supporting it and defending it when your so-called Anti-American protestors were calling your country the shit of the shits. Not only did I back your country up, but I defended it from slanderous effects, trying desperately to keep a balanced mind on everything and seeing the whole war on terrorism for what it was. So before you make serious accusations about MY views on America, you should do some research; I have never made an outright negative comment towards your country, if I had, you would have known about it, because I wouldn't have even bothered to be diplomatic about it.

And in response to your calling my 'what a load of shit' immature, I don't even feel the need to justify myself. Look around this message board, and you will find the most depressingly stupid and retarded comments concerning serious subject matter, from both liberals and conservatives. And when I mean serious, I MEAN serious - not a 'Oh, look how wonderful our President is'. How the bloody hell would you like it if I started a thread on the greatness of Tony Blair. Yes, I think history will consider him the greatest there ever was, his speeches the most glorious and divine, his tupee the most fashion-conscious... ITS RIDICULOUS. Yes, lets see how you would take it if I started a Tony Blair Glorification Thread, not only would it be the most absurd and pathetic thread ever seen, it would perfectly induce you to think what I thought when I read the nature of the thread; 'What a load of shit'. And how can you even deign to call me immature when your responses are packed with nasty little jibes such as 'grow up' and 'I don't have time to respond... but this IS crap'. Seems to me we're on the same boat, don't assume your method of argument is any better than mine. It isn't. The most offensive thing I ever did to you directly was say that you didn't know how foreigners think, and I still hold to that notion if you believe that most of the free world loves you.

No matter how much I agree with this war on Terrorism, the fact is you DO NOT have allies everywhere. I am sorry if you fail to see this, or even worse, I'm sorry that you feel that anyone bringing this to your attention is anti-American.

Now, I'm sorry, but I am NOT anti-american simply because I see things how they are and try to make my views balanced. I don't know where you've been nor do I care, you obviously haven't been around enough.

Ant.

You don't care what the original topic was because you'd rather stir up a bunch of crap here and kiss certain people's asses while anytime they have a "minor disagreement in this or any similair thread you jump in and take over like a blinded fool.

I never said the USA was the most loved country in the world and could give a flying fuck what some of you really think about us. Those of us here that actually live here, work for our community, pay taxes and support our neighbors and like it know what america is, and thats what matters, not what a whiny little wannabe thinks.

I have no problem with Tony Blair, I am glad to see he is on our side, and I hope it offends you. Go ahead and start a thread about him if you like, I welcome him and was proud of your country as an allied nation when he showed up with support.

We have done a lot of things to help out other countries, lots of missions you know about and lots you don't. We are FAR from perfect, and I won't expect us ever to be. The ugly side of this country is all you are ever going to hear about because it is a lot more entertaining to the media (and YOURS in particular is famous for vile gossip) than the average family fulfilling the american dream.

Like I said we have helped out a ton of countries with aid, food, security, etc. And we are in the process of getting involved in debt reduction. The problem is with virtually everybody holding out their hand wanting help, we have to decide who to help because we can't help everyone. Often we go on a multi-billion dollar operation to help out a country ailing, and we have people on our own streets in every city starving and homeless. We can only do so much. It is funny how people ask for help, yet as you said still 'hate us'even after we help them. I think people hate us because they think we have it so good, and what if we do? So what, because I can tell you I have worked very hard and sacrificed a lot to have what I do.

This reminds me of something in South Korea, how the students there staged a protest against our army base there. It was funny since the threat of N. Korea invading is a real issue everyday over there, though you never hear about elsewhere. Anyway the kids staged angry and sometimes violent protests, while the adults who actually remember the war welcomed our troops in their homes with warm hearts of appreciation. This is the kind of hostility they deal with all of the time, yet they carry on with faith and vigilance.

Some of your responses are very insulting to me, and I am sure others would find them as anti-american if they read everything you wrote.

------------------

"The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, & that we cut off the OXYGEN SUPPLY to these CRAZY FANATICS!" ~Bono 11/05/01

How would you feel if all of us started crapping on the UK, for instance. It just never seems to happen that way though, most of us americans in here don't even go there.

GROW UP
smile.gif

Go ahead! In fact, I'll get us started: I think the government's ideas for reform of the system for asylum seekers are appalling. The UK spends more on military spending than any other country in Europe - I think that's wrong. The UK has played a completely disgusting role in Ireland in many, many ways. The UK doesn't comply with the UN suggestion that rich countries spend 0.7% of their GDP on foreign aid. I can't believe a 'civilised' country still allows fox hunting. I thought the anti-terrorism, crime and security bill was a disgraceful, repressive piece of legislation. Don't even get me started on Britain's colonial past.

I live in the UK, have lived here most of my life, I am grateful for many things about the country. But none of that should stop me from being critical when I see something wrong.

Oh, and I can't stand the monarchy.

The problem is with virtually everybody holding out their hand wanting help, we have to decide who to help because we can't help everyone.
so most of the time you choose to help those countries who might be able to offer you something in return

that is not a bad thing
we all do it
I don't think Holland gets involved in many things that offers us nothing in return
that's not a good thing, but it's just the way it is right now

I probably could pretend we are only trying to help
but who would I try to be kidding?

------------------
Salome

Salome I agree with you pretty much, the point is that help is help no matter how you slice it.

Time and time again the US helps people at our OWN expense to include lives of our citizens, which no $$$$$ can obviously replace. And as you pointed out, we are not the only ones that do so.

For instance, the war on terror should benefit everyone, except the terrorist.

------------------

yes, but it isn't a war on terror in general
it's a war on terror in countries that you can allow yourself to fight against without having to fear any economic backlash

------------------
Salome

and no one, I don't think, hates the Monarchy as much as I do

I reckon I could give you a run for your money there...
wink.gif

There was a news item about five minutes long about the monarchy on the news tonight. The Queen Mother fell over. She cut her arm and a doctor had to bandage it. Somehow this demands that a reporter be immediately dispatched to wherever-it-is-that-she's-staying-now and a doctor gives a lengthy report on the likely consequences of a small surface wound on the arm (ie there aren't any).

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
wink.gif

There was a news item about five minutes long about the monarchy on the news tonight. The Queen Mother fell over. She cut her arm and a doctor had to bandage it. Somehow this demands that a reporter be immediately dispatched to wherever-it-is-that-she's-staying-now and a doctor gives a lengthy report on the likely consequences of a small surface wound on the arm (ie there aren't any).

It is truly monstruous how our soceity is obsessed with the Monarchy, thats why you get such a scene as just mentioned by yourself. The worst thing is, a lot of people DO WANT a Monarchy, isn't that horrendous?

If I was in power I'd get rid of them without a second thought. Hate 'em.

Ant.

This mirrors the same Ri-Cock-U-LousNess OF the Media Hype over BUsh's PRetzel incident..

NOTICE.. NO ONE JOKED.. No One Made a Big Deal... No Jokes Abounded.. When Janet Reno Fell at the Podium in a Speech Recently.

L.Unplugged

This mirrors the same Ri-Cock-U-LousNess OF the Media Hype over BUsh's PRetzel incident..

NOTICE.. NO ONE JOKED.. No One Made a Big Deal... No Jokes Abounded.. When Janet Reno Fell at the Podium in a Speech Recently.

L.Unplugged

Nobody was joking about the Queen Mother either! They approached the entire incident with a level of seriousness usually associated with a murder or theft of millions of dollars.

I'm still finding it hilarious that Laura Bush went on TV to demonstrate that Dubya didn't choke on a "sissy pretzel" - she even had props!

Apparently he's now "practising safe snacks."

In case you didn't know, she was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in the middle of Clinton's term. Call it the "liberal media," but they don't generally make fun of the sick.

Don't worry. When they finally diagnose President Bush's learning disability, I'll stop making fun of him too...maybe. I'm not as politically correct as the media.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
In case you didn't know, she was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in the middle of Clinton's term. Call it the "liberal media," but they don't generally make fun of the sick.

Don't worry. When they finally diagnose President Bush's learning disability, I'll stop making fun of him too...maybe. I'm not as politically correct as the media.

Melon

Yes, I was glad to see how well the Prez and his wife are handling it all..

However, I do know about Reno's sickness.. but she attributed her fall to 'Being too Hot'.. I promise you that the last thing she wants is it announced even that her fall was due to her sickness.. And it isn't really even the joking about it.. It's the incessant Story after story after things like Cheney's Heart.. and How He can't even go to the Bathroom without having to be Electrocuted back into a regular heartbeat.. And so Melon, I'd assume that you'd be against the jokes on Bush because it was a situation where her almost died.. Not a Laughing matter.. Right?

Haha.. A Full Fledged Liberal eh?.. and Not being politically correct?.. Hrmm..

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-13-2002).]

wink.gif

Excuse me for almost falling out of my chair laughing at "the Queen Mother fell over." Very rude of me but it hit a funny bone.

I fail to see why you must go out of your way to continually bash americans, or at least conservative americans. How would you feel if all of us started crapping on the UK, for instance. It just never seems to happen that way though, most of us americans in here don't even go there.

GROW UP
smile.gif

I'm afraid that the average American doesn't know enough about the politics of other countries to even bash them. This may not apply to you, or to many people in this forum, but as an American who has traveled a lot in other countries, I am always shocked by how much everyone knows about us and how little I and most Americans I know know about them...

Anyway, I think Anthony has made himself perfectly clear and I don't understand why you are offended by his criticisms. We as Americans need to listen to just these kinds of criticisms in order to understand the deeper issues behind 9/11. It has been evident in my travels for years that much of the world has issues and resentments towards the US and I want to hear about it because I'm not going to understand why just by listening to our leaders. I don't want to slam the door and tell people to fuck off and stop bashing my country. I want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom