Mr. Bush: What kind of a statement is this??? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2002, 06:17 AM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:57 PM
Sorry Vorsprung, my reply wasn't clear. Your point was put fine, and your English is excellent. I agree the comment IS misleading. I was just wondering what the rest of the speech was about, as I haven't heard it. It is all about politics. Tyler Durden mentioned how the government here is downplaying the support for war and promoting instead the UN and diplomacy. It was only a matter of time before this government started showing support. Public opinion has led so many of these leaders to change tack. Bush is no different in that regard. He has a nation to convince. People are not stupid, but it has to become a PR exercise. A few poorly chosen words every now and then to those who are not listening carefully probably matter.

Old 09-27-2002, 06:32 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
I think UN resolutions are important and that we should seek consenses as much as possible. At the same time, a UN resolution is not required for a country to defend itself. Nor is it required to defend others. The NATO operation in Kosovo to prevent Serbs from slaughtering the muslims living there was not authorized by the UN. Please don't tell me you would have prefered that NATO had not acted in that case because they were unable to get authorization from the UN.
The only thing I'm saying is that, if you really believe the violation of UN regulations by Iraq to be a valid motive for an attack, you should at least follow UN rules and regulations yourself.

Old 09-27-2002, 09:22 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Watch 60 minutes Sunday night and you will see evidence of Iraq training Al Qaeda and Hamas, and others in Iraq.

Even trained them on shooting down civilian aircraft.

You people are too quick to judge. You need everything laid out in front of you before you'll believe any of our officials.

Is it because you were lied to for 8 years by Clinton? Is it totally impossible to believe any elected official now?

Mark
Old 09-27-2002, 12:36 PM   #19
New Yorker

Quote:
[i]You people are too quick to judge. You need everything laid out in front of you before you'll believe any of our officials.

Is it because you were lied to for 8 years by Clinton? Is it totally impossible to believe any elected official now?

Mark [/B]
No, it's because IMO Bush suddenly began pushing for this attack so close to the elections. I believe the rush to act is politically motivated. He went before the UN, now he should give the process an opportunity to work. The inspectors should be given a chance to do the job.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:45 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
No, it's because IMO Bush suddenly began pushing for this attack so close to the elections. I believe the rush to act is politically motivated. He went before the UN, now he should give the process an opportunity to work. The inspectors should be given a chance to do the job.
Suddenly?? Bush has been talking about Iraq for over a year. The Iraqi problem was highlighted in his State of the Union speech in January. Remember the “Axis of Evil”?

The UN has had over 10 years to "do the job" and we've all seen what that accomplished.

As for political motivation, I find it interesting that Democrats are resorting to America's latest institutional cry "I'm a victim!" Instead of addressing the issue, the timing and tenor of the message is challenged.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:55 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

The UN has had over 10 years to "do the job" and we've all seen what that accomplished.

Hmmm, has this something to do with CIA spies who suppose to be inspectors ?
Old 09-27-2002, 04:48 PM   #22
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Suddenly?? Bush has been talking about Iraq for over a year. The Iraqi problem was highlighted in his State of the Union speech in January. Remember the “Axis of Evil”?

As for political motivation, I find it interesting that Democrats are resorting to America's latest institutional cry "I'm a victim!" Instead of addressing the issue, the timing and tenor of the message is challenged.
That's my point, his timing stinks. If he had no intention of following a UN resolution why blow smoke up everyone's ass by going before them?

I also think the "Axis of Evil" is a bunch of crap. Were do we get off deciding what nation is evil. Is it because they don't bow down and kiss America's ass?

I don't disagree that something should be done about Iraq, however we should reach a concensus with our allies and the UN, like his father did previously. IMO it morally bankrupts America to make a preemtive first strike without solid evidence of a pending attack, ex. next week or month, not maybe someday.

I need alot more convincing before I'll support it and thank God more people here think the same.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:17 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 PM
regarding the timing:

Andrew H. Card, Jr., the White House Chief of Staff, described how the administration was stepping up its war plans for the fall, and I quote, "From a marketing point of view", he said, "you don't introduce new products in August." (The New York Times, September 7, 2002)

Lovely, isn't it?
Old 09-27-2002, 07:54 PM   #24
us3
The Fly

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i...014&s=hitchens

Posting the above link FYI. Interesting insight from somebody
you would expect NOT to be for an attack, or war, and probably dislikes Bush as much as, if not more than, some of you here. I know he does not trust him for sure.

As for Bush et. al. starting to link the Usama gang to Saddam leads me to believe the attack will be much sooner than later.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:12 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

That was very interesting, us3, and I had not seen it yet. Hitchens is truly an independent-thinker. I don't always agree with him, though more often than not I do, but he's a very smart man and I respect his opinions. Met him once at a reading--funny man. So he's leaving The Nation over disagreement with the other editors about Iraq? Is that what I just read?
Old 09-27-2002, 08:46 PM   #26
us3
The Fly

So it seems, joyfulgirl. Pretty effective way to demonstrate ones priorities. I will defenitely look at Aziz in a dif. light when I see his face on the tube. (Son in and out of Jail!) I wonder if in fact if this might be over relatively quickly given how fast the good Citizens of Iraq will revolt on Sadaam, when and if the fight gets fierce. I mean, will this guy go the way of Mussolini, Ceausescu?
Old 09-27-2002, 10:29 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by us3
Interesting insight from somebody
you would expect NOT to be for an attack, or war, and probably dislikes Bush as much as, if not more than, some of you here. I know he does not trust him for sure.
Hitchens has taken some heat from many in the left for his support of military action in Afghanistan and against Iraq; I think Noam Chomsky or one of those dudes even wrote something against him because of it. But you will find pro-war sentiment even in liberal publications such as THE NEW REPUBLIC in this particular situation; it makes me think that maybe Saddam reallu IS evil.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-28-2002, 04:53 AM   #28
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
regarding the timing:

Andrew H. Card, Jr., the White House Chief of Staff, described how the administration was stepping up its war plans for the fall, and I quote, "From a marketing point of view", he said, "you don't introduce new products in August." (The New York Times, September 7, 2002)

Lovely, isn't it?
I wouldn't call it lovely
but it's always refreshing to hear someone in politics just speak the truth
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-28-2002, 01:13 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by us3
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i...014&s=hitchens

Posting the above link FYI. Interesting insight from somebody

Interesting stuff us3

DB9
Old 09-29-2002, 12:43 AM   #30
Refugee

I think this is ridiculous

1.) the UN security concil passed those resolutions..the least they can do is enforce them.

2.) I do agree unilateral action by the US is wrong

3.)A regime change is the best thing for teh iraqi ppl it would end teh sanctions that are killing more iraqi's per year than the gulf war did.

4.) saddam is an irresponsible ruler...he has used chemical weapons on his won ppl for god sakes

5.) I do think it's VERy fishy that all this time they've failed to connect iraq to alqaeda...and all of a sudden when bush wants to go to war...the link seems to be allover teh press

6.) iraq has NO future with saddam at all.

7.) I do think Bush should start applyin pressure to iraq in other ways, before talk of war.

8.) I hear a lot about the fact that a war with iraq would be easy, no one says a thing about an exit strategy...which is why I prefer a braod UN coalition on this.

the Us going in unilatterrally is more detrimental to the UN than iraq's defiance