Moving and insightful interview with Billy Graham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is from Newsweek. It's too long to post here, but a great read. It touches on a lot of issues surrounding Christianity that we've all discussed here.

I offer this up simply for people to read, but, as you should know by now, I'm up for any discussion. :wink:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14204483/

That was a great read, I really like what he says about God's love, about humility

"I spend more time on the love of God than I used to." -that simple statement has so much power, if more people focused on that so many situations could be different

This part is fascinating

"For Graham the softening of perspective began with Watergate. He believed he had a genuine friendship with Nixon, only to find himself horrified by the president's misdeeds and by the ferocious profanity evident on the White House tapes.

Those recordings ultimately brought about Graham's own darkest hour. In a conversation released in 2002, Graham was heard exchanging anti-Semitic remarks about alleged Jewish control of the media. The shock of the revelation was magnified because of Graham's longtime support of Israel and his refusal to join in calls for the conversion of the Jews. "If it wasn't on tape, I would not have believed it," says Graham. "I guess I was trying to please. I felt so badly about myself—I couldn't believe it. I went to a meeting with Jewish leaders and I told them I would crawl to them to ask their forgiveness." In a statement, Graham said: "Much of my life has been a pilgrimage—constantly learning, changing, growing and maturing. I have come to see in deeper ways some of the implications of my faith and message, not the least of which is in the area of human rights and racial and ethnic understanding." The lesson for Graham was that earthly power was alluring but perilous for a man of faith. The bitterness of the Nixon connection was complete, and Graham saw the wisdom of the Psalmist, who wrote: "Put not thy trust in princes."

You can't help but admire his relationship with his wife, and be envious of it. What love they have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom