Moveon.org Features Ad Comparing Bush to Hitler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]MOVEON.ORG FEATURES AD COMPARING BUSH TO HITLER...

ONLINE CONTEST TO MAKE BEST SPOT TURNS VICIOUS. WEBSITE FEATURED AD, LATER PULLED IT AFTER COMPLAINTS, DRUDGE HAS LEARNED.

SEE MOVEON.ORG HITLER/BUSH AD CONTENDER...

MOVEON.ORG SCRIPT

GRAPHIC: Pictures Of Hitler
HITLER: (Speaking In German)
CHYRON: We have taken new measures to protect our homeland,

CHYRON: I believe I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator,

CHYRON: God told me to strike at al-Qaida and I struck them,

GRAPHIC: Pictures of President Bush
CHYRON: and then He instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did.

CHYRON: SOUND FAMILIAR?
BACKGROUND: Cheering German Crowd

[The MoveOn.org rules they say: Content: We're NOT looking for the same old slick political ads from Washington media consultants. Instead, we're looking for really creative ads that will engage and enlighten viewers and help them understand the truth about George Bush. There are some legal limits on what you can do (see below), and we're not going to post anything that would be inappropriate for television, but other than that what you put in your ads is up to you (live action, animation, personal rant, whatever!)[/Q]

Enough already.......There is something seriously wrong with this.

I got an e-mail to this effect this morning. I deleted it. Speaking of shooting yourself in the foot. I hate this :censored:, it's like watching the Titanic sink. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: While I am not a Bush supporter he's not Hitler, Milosevic, Ceceauscu or Saddam and I totally disapprove of and disassociate myself from this :censored: rhetoric.

the hatred for bush is beyond belief. you'd think he was caught beating puppies with a sledge hammer or somethin. it's way beyond simple disagreement, or even dislike... it truely is hate. i think it's why dean is leading the dems... he preaches to those who hate bush. i watched the iowa debates today and dean was gettin' smacked around by the other candidates... but i'd be surpised if gephardt gets enough to overtake him, and i don't think clark or kerry can surpass him in new hampshire either... stupifying.

Last edited:
There has to be some point where people on both sides of political ideology say enough is enough already.

The people who supported Bush in the primaries last time around were guilty of smearing McCain viciously over his adopted child if I am not mistaken, once the campaign made its way south.

When does it stop? Al Gore should be embarrased for associating himself with this group.

Dreadsox said:
[Q]MOVEON.ORG FEATURES AD COMPARING BUSH TO HITLER...

ONLINE CONTEST TO MAKE BEST SPOT TURNS VICIOUS. WEBSITE FEATURED AD, LATER PULLED IT AFTER COMPLAINTS, DRUDGE HAS LEARNED.

SEE MOVEON.ORG HITLER/BUSH AD CONTENDER...

MOVEON.ORG SCRIPT

CHYRON: We have taken new measures to protect our homeland,

CHYRON: I believe I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator,

CHYRON: God told me to strike at al-Qaida and I struck them,

GRAPHIC: Pictures of President Bush
CHYRON: and then He instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did.

CHYRON: SOUND FAMILIAR?
BACKGROUND: Cheering German Crowd

[The MoveOn.org rules they say: Content: We're NOT looking for the same old slick political ads from Washington media consultants. Instead, we're looking for really creative ads that will engage and enlighten viewers and help them understand the truth about George Bush. There are some legal limits on what you can do (see below), and we're not going to post anything that would be inappropriate for television, but other than that what you put in your ads is up to you (live action, animation, personal rant, whatever!)[/Q]

Enough already.......There is something seriously wrong with this.

Yes I saw this one. One of the more uneducated ads placed in the contest. You have them on both sides. You have those that will paint him a halo and those that will paint him horns. Where I don't agree with the comparison, I can understand a little how it comes about. There are those that fear the "liberties" he's taking with OUR LIBERITES. No one at the time knew where Hitler was heading. Now I'm not saying Bush is going the same path, but there will be those who fear the next step and will jump to conclusions in order to use fear to get the man out of office. Unfortunately it's something we're seeing grow on both sides.

This hate is inexcusable and irrational. I do not agree with many of Bush's policies. But this comparison with Hitler is totally f:censored:d up. No Democrat worth his or her salt should be associated with this. I am angered and offended as a liberal. This isn't speaking for me.

nbcrusader said:
The ever growing amount of hate being embraced by the left is surprising.

It's sad. I feel like someone has stabbed me in the heart. This is not the civilized rational discourse we are supposed to have in a democracy. I fear civilized political debate is becoming a thing of the past.
This scares the :censored: out of me. Democracy doesn't work without civilized and rational debate. Don't these people realize how destructive they are being?

Yes, let's take this opportunity to smear everyone on the left of the political spectrum. :yawn:

On this basis, I'd like to condemn all conservatives as homophobic because Michael Howard (he's leader of the Tory party, for those who don't have an interest in British politics) supports Section 28. I'd also like to label all Christians as delusional based on the article Dread posted the other day. And while we're at it, I think all Republicans are racists because wasn't Strom Thurmond a Republican?

It's an isolated example, let's not try to draw far-reaching conclusions from it. :down:

It works both ways, potentially. During the Clinton Administration some right-wing acquaintances of mine compared him with Hitler. I didn't blame conservatives for blasting the President as a Hitler, just these few. Just because this one thing came out, don't conclude that "liberals think that Bush is Hitler" or whatever. That's not fair. I do not believe that, my liberal family does not, and meanwhile some leftist "buddies" of mine have accused me of selling out to the corporate media because I'm not voting for the Trotskyists. "The left" is not some monolithic, immobile monstrosity of a contraption. We're human beings.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Yes, let's take this opportunity to smear everyone on the left of the political spectrum. :yawn:

On this basis, I'd like to condemn all conservatives as homophobic because Michael Howard (he's leader of the Tory party, for those who don't have an interest in British politics) supports Section 28. I'd also like to label all Christians as delusional based on the article Dread posted the other day. And while we're at it, I think all Republicans are racists because wasn't Strom Thurmond a Republican?

It's an isolated example, let's not try to draw far-reaching conclusions from it. :down:

I do not see a single post in here in which anyone attacked everyone on the left. I am puzzled as to why you are taking it that way.......

As I am typing this I am pausing to AGAIN reread the posts....and not ONE person has accused all on the left of being in favor of this. Until now, it was actually an UNPOLITICIZED thread in which there was a common ground about our expectations for the behavior of organizations that are involved in helping to elect our leaders.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Move-on......they have already had the spotlight on them for a few other indescretions in the past few weeks so this is not just the first example of them crossing the line...ie accepting foreign money, which IS illegal. They no longer do it, but they are refusing to disclose how much they took in.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

I do not see a single post in here in which anyone attacked everyone on the left. I am puzzled as to why you are taking it that way.......

As I am typing this I am pausing to AGAIN reread the posts....and not ONE person has accused all on the left of being in favor of this. Until now, it was actually an UNPOLITICIZED thread in which there was a common ground about our expectations for the behavior of organizations that are involved in helping to elect our leaders.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Move-on......they have already had the spotlight on them for a few other indescretions in the past few weeks so this is not just the first example of them crossing the line...ie accepting foreign money, which IS illegal. They no longer do it, but they are refusing to disclose how much they took in.

I think saying that a side "embraces hate" would be an attack on one's leanings and if I'm not mistaken that's what Fizzes response was about.

As for Move-on Dread I've saw your thread about excepting foreign money and still haven't seen any evidence as to if any money was actually collected. Maybe I've overlooked something, if so I apologize. But to make this about Move-on again is ridiculous. I've seen this before about another website(can't remember the exact website) where someone stated an opinion on the website, admittingly a very stupid opinion, and people wanted to attack the website. This is one's opinion, and if you read the disclaimer before viewing any of the ads you would find that they say this is not the opinion of Move-on. This is not about the website, this is about a few individuals who's opinion is very uneducated, end of story. Should interference get held responsible when certain individuals call citizens of another country lower organisms or retards?

nbcrusader said:

Perhaps it is a little more fair to say *some* on the left. After all, I'm planning to cast a vote against Bush. I've got lefties screaming at me because that vote is not going to a Trotskyist. I'm not kidding, I've got them on my case. :censored: :censored: :censored: Annoying. They've also put some stuff out in their press about Bush being a Hitler. I think they have a right to freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean I don't wish they'd shut up because I want to vote for a (decent)Democrat, if I have to write him or her in.

I do believe Verte was with me when that broke and did confirm that they were at the time accepting international funds. There was on their page later a disclaimer saying they could not accept foreign money. The original links have disappeared. I cannot reproduce webpages that no longer exist.

And yes, they are responsible for what appears, and I do believe that If I produces something heineous and linked it here, like taking Ghandi and making him morph into Hitler, steps would and should be taken to delete it since it is not, nor should it be acceptable.

Unless the ends justifies the means. And apparently, move-on.org believes these things. Until Druge noticed the international money link, they were taking international $$$$. Until it appeared on FOX NEws this AM and they received emails it was acceptable to have Bush morph into Hitler.

If they are going to have a contest, they are responsible for monitoring the content, and it has to be acceptable content for TV according to their rules.

As for NB......

NB has a reputation for slandering the entire left on the FYM board since when? :wink:

I don't like our ex-coked up President, but WTF?? Leave the dude alone with the war criminal comparisons, he's none of that, and that is just beyond tasteless, and I consider myself a guy who loves tasless humor but this is just ridiculous :huh:

Dreadsox said:
As for NB......

NB has a reputation for slandering the entire left on the FYM board since when? :wink:

He may not, but what he said on this thread was a blanket statement.

For the record, I think the ad (which I haven't seen) sounds immature and not all that creative either. High shock value and not much substance here.

Dreadsox said:

If they are going to have a contest, they are responsible for monitoring the content, and it has to be acceptable content for TV according to their rules.

There are so many other factors here some that play into this very forum, but I'll leave that alone. I think this is something we'll have to just agree to disagree.

Dreadsox said:
I do believe Verte was with me when that broke and did confirm that they were at the time accepting international funds. There was on their page later a disclaimer saying they could not accept foreign money. The original links have disappeared. I cannot reproduce webpages that no longer exist.

Yes. They had something on their site about international contributions. I didn't know anything about this, but there it was on their web site. I was shocked; no one had told me about this. The offending items were deleted after some people complained.
I don't think NB meant to make a blanket statement. He was commenting on the hate that *exists* out there, and it being shocking, as opposed to implying that every "leftist" thinks that Bush is a Hitler or hates the guy's guts. I saw that "Bush and Hitler" thing on my Outlook Express this morning. I share the concerns about the impact of the Patriot Act on my First Amendment rights with others on the left. This does *not* mean I think Bush is a Hitler.

[Q]January 4, 2004

SIMON WIESENTHAL CENTER CRITICIZES MOVEON.ORG FOR POSTING AD COMPARING BUSH TO HITLER

The Simon Wiesenthal Center sharply criticized MoveOn.org for accepting and posting an ad comparing President George Bush to Adolf Hitler.

?Politics and preparing for a presidential election is one thing, but comparing the Bush Administration?s fight against Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein with the policies of Adolf Hitler is shameful and beyond the pale and has no place in the legitimate discourse of American politics,? said Rabbi Marvin Hier, the Center?s dean and founder.

?This ad is not about Democrats or Republicans - it is about lies and a distortion of history,? he added.

MoveOn.org was right to pull the ad but they should apologize for not using better judgment in posting it in the first place,? Hier concluded.

The Wiesenthal Center is one of the largest international Jewish human rights organizations with over 400,000 member families in the United States. It is an NGO at international agencies including the United Nations, UNESCO, the OSCE, and the Council of Europe.[/Q]

Oh my...

I have seen the light....

Michael Moore and Janeane Garofalo are two of the judges in this contest?

Oh my!!!! They must be so proud.:barf:

nbcrusader said:

Oh, boo hoo. Take care of the demagogues in your own party before whining about the left.

Melon

Dreadsox said:
Oh my...

This just in...Michael Moore and Janeane Garofalo have apologized and stated that from now on they believe censhorship is the future for America.:wink:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

Dreadsox said:
Oh my...

and Eddie Vedder, micheal Stipe and Moby.

They are not responsible for the submited entries, for what i understand,...

I found thid under "rules" :

One vote per entry per active email address only . Online votes that are either fraudulently generated or duplicated, or associated with inactive or ?dummy? email addresses, are subject to disqualification. Sponsor will tabulate all online votes, calculate and assign each entry's weighted average rating and shall provide the top 15 rated entries as determined by the average rating of each entry (the ?Favorite Picks?) to the Panel Judges on or around January 5, 2004. It is not necessary to register on the web site or participate in the Contest to vote online

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This just in...Michael Moore and Janeane Garofalo have apologized and stated that from now on they believe censhorship is the future for America.:wink:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

:lol:

melon said:

And I'm sure you're quite proud of digging up this dirt.

Melon

Actually, you have no idea how deeply this "dirt" offends me to the core of my inner being.

Making light of it in here is my why of dealing with it.

Inside I am seriously, very pissed off and I fail to understand how it could be charaterized as a little bit of "dirt".

They would have you believe that it was removed for being unacceptable to them, however it was left upthroughout the contest and removed with the rest of the contestants when the deadline for the first round came. They did not remove it in good faith.

Finally, this groups main financiall backer in December made similar statements when he made the largest contibution in the organizations history about the President. The group accepted the money and has not issued a statement saying anything to the contrary leading me to belive that they find the comparison with Hitler acceptable.

So yes, for many reasons, on many levels, I find this "dirt" to be foul and disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom