Moveon.org Features Ad Comparing Bush to Hitler - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2004, 08:18 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The ever growing amount of hate being embraced by the left is surprising.
Perhaps it is a little more fair to say *some* on the left. After all, I'm planning to cast a vote against Bush. I've got lefties screaming at me because that vote is not going to a Trotskyist. I'm not kidding, I've got them on my case. Annoying. They've also put some stuff out in their press about Bush being a Hitler. I think they have a right to freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean I don't wish they'd shut up because I want to vote for a (decent)Democrat, if I have to write him or her in.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:27 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:45 AM
I do believe Verte was with me when that broke and did confirm that they were at the time accepting international funds. There was on their page later a disclaimer saying they could not accept foreign money. The original links have disappeared. I cannot reproduce webpages that no longer exist.

And yes, they are responsible for what appears, and I do believe that If I produces something heineous and linked it here, like taking Ghandi and making him morph into Hitler, steps would and should be taken to delete it since it is not, nor should it be acceptable.

Unless the ends justifies the means. And apparently, move-on.org believes these things. Until Druge noticed the international money link, they were taking international $$$$. Until it appeared on FOX NEws this AM and they received emails it was acceptable to have Bush morph into Hitler.

If they are going to have a contest, they are responsible for monitoring the content, and it has to be acceptable content for TV according to their rules.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:29 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

As for NB......

NB has a reputation for slandering the entire left on the FYM board since when?
Old 01-04-2004, 08:34 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 10:45 PM
I don't like our ex-coked up President, but WTF?? Leave the dude alone with the war criminal comparisons, he's none of that, and that is just beyond tasteless, and I consider myself a guy who loves tasless humor but this is just ridiculous
Old 01-04-2004, 08:35 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
As for NB......

NB has a reputation for slandering the entire left on the FYM board since when?
He may not, but what he said on this thread was a blanket statement.

For the record, I think the ad (which I haven't seen) sounds immature and not all that creative either. High shock value and not much substance here.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:54 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:

If they are going to have a contest, they are responsible for monitoring the content, and it has to be acceptable content for TV according to their rules.
There are so many other factors here some that play into this very forum, but I'll leave that alone. I think this is something we'll have to just agree to disagree.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:47 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
I do believe Verte was with me when that broke and did confirm that they were at the time accepting international funds. There was on their page later a disclaimer saying they could not accept foreign money. The original links have disappeared. I cannot reproduce webpages that no longer exist.
Yes. They had something on their site about international contributions. I didn't know anything about this, but there it was on their web site. I was shocked; no one had told me about this. The offending items were deleted after some people complained.
I don't think NB meant to make a blanket statement. He was commenting on the hate that *exists* out there, and it being shocking, as opposed to implying that every "leftist" thinks that Bush is a Hitler or hates the guy's guts. I saw that "Bush and Hitler" thing on my Outlook Express this morning. I share the concerns about the impact of the Patriot Act on my First Amendment rights with others on the left. This does *not* mean I think Bush is a Hitler.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:09 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]January 4, 2004

SIMON WIESENTHAL CENTER CRITICIZES MOVEON.ORG FOR POSTING AD COMPARING BUSH TO HITLER

The Simon Wiesenthal Center sharply criticized MoveOn.org for accepting and posting an ad comparing President George Bush to Adolf Hitler.

“Politics and preparing for a presidential election is one thing, but comparing the Bush Administration’s fight against Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein with the policies of Adolf Hitler is shameful and beyond the pale and has no place in the legitimate discourse of American politics,” said Rabbi Marvin Hier, the Center’s dean and founder.

“This ad is not about Democrats or Republicans - it is about lies and a distortion of history,” he added.

MoveOn.org was right to pull the ad but they should apologize for not using better judgment in posting it in the first place,” Hier concluded.

The Wiesenthal Center is one of the largest international Jewish human rights organizations with over 400,000 member families in the United States. It is an NGO at international agencies including the United Nations, UNESCO, the OSCE, and the Council of Europe.[/Q]
Old 01-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh my...

I have seen the light....

Michael Moore and Janeane Garofalo are two of the judges in this contest?

Oh my!!!! They must be so proud.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:46 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The ever growing amount of hate being embraced by the left is surprising.
Oh, boo hoo. Take care of the demagogues in your own party before whining about the left.

Melon
Old 01-04-2004, 11:48 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
And I'm sure you're quite proud of digging up this dirt.

Melon
Old 01-05-2004, 12:41 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Oh my...

This just in...Michael Moore and Janeane Garofalo have apologized and stated that from now on they believe censhorship is the future for America.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire
Old 01-05-2004, 05:03 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Oh my...

and Eddie Vedder, micheal Stipe and Moby.

They are not responsible for the submited entries, for what i understand,...

I found thid under "rules" :

One vote per entry per active email address only . Online votes that are either fraudulently generated or duplicated, or associated with inactive or “dummy” email addresses, are subject to disqualification. Sponsor will tabulate all online votes, calculate and assign each entry's weighted average rating and shall provide the top 15 rated entries as determined by the average rating of each entry (the “Favorite Picks”) to the Panel Judges on or around January 5, 2004. It is not necessary to register on the web site or participate in the Contest to vote online
Old 01-05-2004, 06:19 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

This just in...Michael Moore and Janeane Garofalo have apologized and stated that from now on they believe censhorship is the future for America.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire
Old 01-05-2004, 06:26 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

And I'm sure you're quite proud of digging up this dirt.

Melon
Actually, you have no idea how deeply this "dirt" offends me to the core of my inner being.

Making light of it in here is my why of dealing with it.

Inside I am seriously, very pissed off and I fail to understand how it could be charaterized as a little bit of "dirt".

They would have you believe that it was removed for being unacceptable to them, however it was left upthroughout the contest and removed with the rest of the contestants when the deadline for the first round came. They did not remove it in good faith.

Finally, this groups main financiall backer in December made similar statements when he made the largest contibution in the organizations history about the President. The group accepted the money and has not issued a statement saying anything to the contrary leading me to belive that they find the comparison with Hitler acceptable.

So yes, for many reasons, on many levels, I find this "dirt" to be foul and disgusting.