Move Back To NO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
The City should be "dry" soon.

NEW ORLEANS — The vast floodwaters that inundated four-fifths of New Orleans have been almost entirely pumped out of the city, with the remainder expected to be gone by the end of the week, the Army Corps of Engineers said Sunday.

The corps estimated that it had pumped out 87% of the water from within the city, representing much faster progress than the agency had previously reported. Some areas outside the city remain flooded. Col. Duane Gapinski, who is leading the effort to drain the city, said the situation was helped dramatically by three weeks of little or no rainfall since Hurricane Katrina ruptured the city's levee system.

But, if you were in charge, would you let people move back into the City?

no, I don't think I'd let people move back in right now. Everything that touched that water is contaminated and there are many other dangers that need to be taken care of before it is safe to let people go back.

I agree, it doesn't appear that the place is safe because of the possibility of infection. So I wouldn't have the people coming back just yet.

Plus, Hurricane RITA is now on the way towards the Gulf coast and could cause new flooding and damage.

The course of action has been reversed.

NEW ORLEANS - Under pressure from President Bush and other top federal officials, the mayor suspended the reopening of large portions of the city Monday and instead ordered nearly everyone out because of the risk of a new round of flooding from a tropical storm on the way.

"If we are off, I'd rather err on the side of conservatism to make sure we have everyone out," Mayor Ray Nagin said.

The announcement came after repeated warnings from top federal officials — and the president himself — that New Orleans was not safe enough to reopen. Among other things, federal officials warned that Tropical Storm Rita could breach the city's temporarily patched-up levees and swamp the city all over again.

The news came as the state Health Department raised the death toll from Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana by 90 to 736. The toll across the Gulf Coast was 973.

The mayor reversed course even as residents began trickling back to the first neighborhood opened as part of Nagin's plan, the lightly damaged Algiers section.

article in full: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050919...bAbLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Back
Top Bottom