Moussaoui is a Bastard!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand the desire to unleash our anger over acts of terrorism. From everything I've read about him there is no way this man can be mentally healthy. Let's remember that.
It's easy to blame a specific, crazy man for 9/11, but let's remember had our government been doing it's job (translating intercepted conversations, paying attention to memos etc) 9/11 could've been prevented.
Please don't see this as me saying the guy should be freed. I think he should be locked away, receiving mental attention. He's a danger to society.

(without reading the other replies)

I'm very glad that Moussaoui got life in prison. That way he'll live to see the victory of the allies in Iraq, the capture of Bin Laden and the downfall of Al-Qaida.

Besides somehow I get the feeling that his prison term will be very short.....mainly that he'll find himself at the wrong end of a shiv......

Irvine511 said:
there was no "winning" or "losing" with this schizophrenic loser. the death penalty would have served no purpose whatsoever here.

he won't last long in jail.
There is an obligation to keep him protected one way or another.

i am also proud of my country.

a murderous, batshit insane, delusional thug was given a fair trial and due process. the rule of law was followed.

this is how we beat them, and this is why Moussaoui lost. we did not stoop to his level. we didn't assign the death penalty out of (understandable) rage or revenge or some sense of eye-for-an-eye justice. that's what they would have wanted. we won by sticking to our laws and way of life and demonstrated just why we will win this battle with this particular murderous fringe: our ideas are simply better.

and it makes our failures in the GWOT, our stooping to their level as seen in Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo and the suspension of civil liberties here in the US, the bullying, the contempt for the rest of the world, the with-us-or-against-us mentality, seem all that much worse.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060504/D8HD3LC01.html

Awesome, leave it to a woman judge to put a terrorist in his place

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - U.S. Judge Leonie Brinkema sent Zacarias Moussaoui to prison for life Thursday, to "die with a whimper," for his role in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The convicted terrorist declared: "God save Osama bin Laden - you will never get him."

Brinkema firmly refused to be interrupted by the 37-year-old defendant as she disputed his declaration from a day earlier: "America, you lost. ... I won."

"Mr. Moussaoui, when this proceeding is over, everyone else in this room will leave to see the sun ... hear the birds ... and they can associate with whomever they want," she said.

She went on: "You will spend the rest of your life in a supermax prison. It's absolutely clear who won."

And she said it was proper he will be kept away from outsiders, unable to speak publicly again.

"Mr. Moussaoui, you came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory," she said, "but to paraphrase the poet T.S. Eliot, instead you will die with a whimper."

At that point, Moussaoui tried again to interrupt her, but she raised her voice and spoke over him."

from Yahoo

"Moussaoui sat in his chair staring at Dolan and the other family witnesses, Rosemary Dillard and Abraham Scott, betraying no emotion as they spoke.

He responded directly to them in his speech, referring first to Dillard, who spoke of losing her husband, Eddie, in the Pentagon attack. "She said I destroyed a life and she lost a husband," Moussaoui said. "Maybe one day she can think about how many people the
CIA has destroyed. ... You have a hypocrisy beyond belief. Your humanity is a selective humanity. Only you suffer."

Scott, who attended much of the trial, said after the hearing that Moussaoui's antics over the last two months irritated him. "It was extremely hard listening to him and not jumping over that little (courtroom) fence and doing bodily harm to him. Not kill him, just bodily harm."

Moussaoui walked into the courtroom flashing a victory sign.

"You have branded me as a terrorist or a criminal or whatever," he said. "Look at yourselves. I fight for my belief." He spoke for less than five minutes; the judge told him he could not use his sentencing to make a political speech. He concluded: "God save Osama bin Laden — you will never get him."

Moussaoui said he kept his speech short because America doesn't want to listen. "You wasted an opportunity to learn why people like me, like (9/11 hijacker) Mohamed Atta, have so much hatred of you. ... If you don't want to hear, you will feel" pain. "

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
i am also proud of my country.

a murderous, batshit insane, delusional thug was given a fair trial and due process. the rule of law was followed.
He is not crazy.

No, he is a Islamic literalist and he wants to fight the unbelievers into submission, until the whole world is under the rule of Allah through a clerical class. He is a believer, not a madman and should be treated as such - it is the common thread between the attacks in Bali, London, Madrid, Casablanca, Saudi Arabia and September 11, the attackers all subscribed to an ideology, one that is a one product of the Islamic religion. There are many excuses for terrorism in the world, but the justifications of terrorism by Muslims is invariably scripture. I am not saying that all Muslims are terrorists.

Last edited:
is it rational and sane to hate that much? a balanced and healthy mind cannot go to those depths of hate and excessiveness. a sane person cannot carry out cold and premeditated mass killings for something as intangible as a belief or faith.

To a western atheist/agnostic perspective in a culture of watered down and frankly impotent Christianity faith is intangiable and means piss all - but to these blokes it is their cause to be, they are their Gods subordinates and they believe he has given them the plan for the world. Everybody is just to themselves and to the innocent, what defines innocent is the variable.

I would have to agree with A_Wanderer on this. I would not see Moussaoui as being insane in the clincal sense, but rather as someone was brainwashed by a dogmatic form of religion.

I'm glad he wasn't given the death penalty seeing a lot of people think he had nothing to do with sept 11. ITs like sentancing him to death for hating and wanting to kill americans. Lots of people want to do that! I want to read some more things first before more commenting!

This guy is going to wish for death. If this is accurate, it doesn't sound like much fun:

http://www.perryonpolitics.com/2006/05/end-of-chapter.html

Verdicts are a lot like elections, with a large group of unhappy people regardless of the outcome. While many would have preferred that Moussaoui received the death penalty, the fate facing him now is surely one that many would not welcome. A few details about Moussaoui's new pad, also known as Supermax:

Already there is a veritable "bombers' row" — Ramzi Ahmed Yousef, mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center blast; Unabomber Theodore Kaczynski; Terry L. Nichols, an accomplice in the Oklahoma City bombing; Richard Reid, the so-called shoe bomber who Moussaoui testified was to join him in another Al Qaeda hijacking; and Eric Rudolph, who bombed abortion clinics and the Atlanta Olympics.

All, like Moussaoui, are serving life without parole — spending their days in prison wings that are partly underground. They exist alone in soundproof cells as small as 7 feet by 12 feet, with a concrete-poured desk, bed and stool, a small shower and sink, and a TV that offers religious and anger-management programs.

They are locked down 23 hours a day.

Larry Homenick, a former U.S. marshal who has taken prisoners to Supermax, said that there was a small triangular recreation area, known as "the dog run," where solitary Supermax prisoners could occasionally get a glimpse of sky.

He said it was chilling to walk down the cellblocks and glance through the plexiglass "sally port" chambers into the cells and see the faces inside.

Life there is harsh. Food is delivered through a slit in the cell door. Prisoners don't leave their cells to see a lawyer, a doctor or a prison official; those visitors must go to the cell.

The federal Supermax prison in Colorado was opened in November 1994. Nobody has escaped.

In his trial testimony, Aiken said the whole point of Supermax was not just punishment, but "incapacitation."

There is no pretense that the prison is preparing the inmate for a return to society. Like the cellmate of the count of Monte Cristo who died an old, tired convict, Aiken said, "Moussaoui will deteriorate."

The inmate "is constantly monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week," he said. "He will never get lost in a crowd because he would never be in a crowd."

Christopher Boyce, a convicted spy who was incarcerated at Supermax, left the prison about 100 miles south of Denver with no regret. "You're slowly hung," he once told The Times. "You're ground down. You can barely keep your sanity."

Bernard Kleinman, a New York lawyer who represented Yousef, called it "extraordinarily draconian punishment."

Moussaoui might be a household name today, "but 20 years from now, people will forget him," Kleinman said. "He will sit there all alone, and all forgotten."

Ron Kuby, another New York defense lawyer, has handled several East Coast "revolutionaries" who went on a killing spree, and a radical fundamentalist who killed a rabbi in 1990. All were brought to Supermax.

He thought Aiken's description that prisoners rot inside its walls was too kind.

"It's beyond rotting," he said. "Rotting at least implies a slow, gradual disintegration."

He said there were a lot of prisons where inmates rot, where the staff "plants you in front of your TV in your cell and you just grow there like a mushroom."

"But Supermax is worse," he said. "It's not just the hothouse for the mushrooms. It's designed in the end to break you down."

Report: Lone Juror Kept Moussaoui Alive

A single holdout kept the jury from handing a death sentence to Zacarias Moussaoui, the only person charged in this country in the 9/11 attacks.

But that juror never explained his vote, said the foreman of the jury that sentenced the confessed al-Qaida conspirator to life in prison last week.

The foreman, a math teacher in Northern Virginia, told The Washington Post that jurors voted three times _ 11-1, 10-2 and 10-2 _ in favor of the death penalty on the three terrorism charges that each qualified Moussaoui for execution.

On April 26, the third day of deliberations, the jury's frustrations reached a critical point because of several 11-1 votes on one charge. But no one could figure out who was casting the dissenting vote, the foreman said, because that person didn't identify himself during any discussion _ and each of the votes were done using anonymous ballots.

That's interesting, because I remember seeing more than one juror talking to reporters on why they didn't give the death penalty, after everything was over.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong...

Oh well, they still did the right thing regardless of how many voted for or against.

Of course, Moussaoui and his lawyer are on the same page...

Moussaoui Appeals Judgment and Sentence

WASHINGTON - Convicted Sept. 11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui appealed the life sentence he got this month and the denial of his request for a new trial.

In a one-paragraph notice of appeal, his court-appointed lawyers said Friday he wanted the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to review the final judgment and sentence he received May 4 and Judge Leonie Brinkema's May 8 denial of his request to withdraw his guilty plea and go to trial on the original charges.

The notice was required to be filed by May 18 if the 37-year-old Frenchman wanted to appeal his case. It contained no legal arguments about the case; those will be filed later with the appeals court.

Attorney full employment filings....

Back
Top Bottom