Mother Of Soldier Killed In Iraq Heckles Laura Bush - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #61
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ultraviolet118
So, to all of you war-mongers, lemmings, sheep, blind loyalists, and other supporters of Bush and his war, I say, "F**K YOU!"
There is no need to be so rude. People are allowed to express their opinions, and whether or not you agree with them isn't the issue...it's how you express such feelings. Please do so in a civil manner.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #62
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I've been reading the posts here, and I have to say, they're are alot of myopic U2 fans. Soldiers volunteer, we all can agree on that. However, it's the Commander-in-Chief that sends the men and women into battle. If I'm going to fight, and possibly lose my life, it better be for a God damn good reason. Iraq is NOT a good reason. Over 1300 US soldiers gave their lives for a lie. Ten thousand more were wounded or maimed for that same lie. I don't think anyone here doesn't support the troops. I think it's f**kin' shame that some of you myopians, can't see the bigger picture, and realize that it's a f**kin' travesty that innocent people are dying for following some bullsh** order, that shouldn't have been given. I don't buy the notion that some of you have suggested, that the soldiers are happy, to be doing what they're doing, or, they fully support the president and the war. They have to do their jobs, because if not, their compatriots will lose their lives. They vocally support the president, because they have to. The ones who don't, well, we've seen what happens to them. They're called un-patriotic, dissenters, etc. All because they disagree with the war and it's premise. So, to all of you war-mongers, lemmings, sheep, blind loyalists, and other supporters of Bush and his war, I say, "F**K YOU!"
ultraviolet, I know you're new here, but we really prefer that people keep discussion a bit more civil here.

"F*** you" really isn't appropriate.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #63
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Whoa, BC, great minds think alike.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #64
Babyface

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Wow. Well, from some of the posts I've read throughout this thread and some others, people have said the same thing, they've just used more words to say it. I will try to be less succinct in my posts.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Haven ´t been following the story.. but is it true that:

this woman who lost her son and shouted out to the First Lady, got thrown in jail?

Now if that ´s true, I really wonder what kind of nation you live in, my American friends.

Is it illegal to shout? First Amandment? Think about it:

Do you really support sending someone to jail who voices his opinion? I mean, you got some Neonazis having a nice little celebration of their ill-minded political ideology, and you say, oh, but we got freedom of speech, so let ´s allow that (in my country, this would be illegal).

On the other hand, you got a mother in grief shouting out her pain about the death of her son - and you don ´t back her right to express her opinion freely?

Wow, that paints a real scary picture about the moral values of your nation.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #66
The Fly

We have the right to protest PEACEFULLY. That does not mean we can protest by disrupting someone or something. Then, we would be invading privacy.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:35 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Did that woman have a gun or something?

Was it a private gathering of the First Lady and her friends for tea? I thought it was a public appearance.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:11 PM   #68
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheltie
We have the right to protest PEACEFULLY. That does not mean we can protest by disrupting someone or something. Then, we would be invading privacy.
That's BS. People boo and heckle all the God d*mn time. Look at poor Ashlee Simpson, she had her a$$ booed off the stage. People boo at sporting events, heckle at comedy clubs, etc. . Give me a break. Just because she's the "first lady" she's immune?! That's BS.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:12 PM   #69
The Fly

It does not matter what it was. Someone can't start yelling at someone like a nut. No matter if it is the First Lady or anyone else. Like I said earlier, they are ways to protest and acting like an idiot is not the way.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:19 PM   #70
The Fly

Quote:

That's BS. People boo and heckle all the God d*mn time. Look at poor Ashlee Simpson, she had her a$$ booed off the stage. People boo at sporting events, heckle at comedy clubs, etc. . Give me a break. Just because she's the "first lady" she's immune?! That's BS.
Its not BS. Go read the Bill of Rights.
Also a public performance is different from someone making a speech. And yes, how we act and what we say to the President and First Lady is different from the general public. They have more protection.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #71
Babyface

Quote:

Its not BS. Go read the Bill of Rights.
Also a public performance is different from someone making a speech. And yes, how we act and what we say to the President and First Lady is different from the general public. They have more protection.
The Bill of Rights protects people from being booed at and heckled. Uh huh. Sure. I'm pretty familiar with the Bill Of Rights, and I don't recall that being in there. "They have more protection"?! If your referring to the Secret Service, yes, they do have more protection. But they're there to prevent someone from taking them out. Not to protect their egos from pissed off Americans. They're PUBLIC FIGURES, and are fair game for PUBLIC criticism.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:47 PM   #72
The Fly

Quote:

The Bill of Rights protects people from being booed at and heckled. Uh huh. Sure. I'm pretty familiar with the Bill Of Rights, and I don't recall that being in there. "They have more protection"?! If your referring to the Secret Service, yes, they do have more protection. But they're there to prevent someone from taking them out. Not to protect their egos from pissed off Americans. They're PUBLIC FIGURES, and are fair game for PUBLIC criticism.
Amendment 1
Congress shall make no law restricting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or to the press; or the right of the people to PEACEABLY to assemble and to petition the government for a redress ot grievances.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #73
Babyface

Uh, excuse me. That doesn't mean you can't heckle or boo. No one was preventing Mrs. Bush from making her speech, okay? PEACEABLY means without violence. As far as I know, this lady was just being loud. So what? Again, Laura Bush is a PUBLIC figure and fair game for PUBLIC criticism. Your argument holds no water.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #74
The Fly

Excuse me but Laura Bush is not fair game. Read a political science book.
Also as far as I understand, the lady was not just booing. She was making anti-government remarks. Again read the Bill of Rights. There is a right way and wrong to do that. You cant' just start yelling or become disruptive because you don't like someone or want to make a point. What about the First Ladys right to make her speech!
Again, read a political science book because your statements hold no water.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:06 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Quote:
Excuse me but Laura Bush is not fair game.

well, pre-Senator HRC sure seemed to be fair game.

First Ladies are asked to champion certain causes that are usually non-contraversial (like Miss America!). if one had a problem with said cause, then Mrs. Bush would be fair game. that said, it's hard to argue with things like childhood literacy projects.

seems like the protestor's anger, while legitimate, was being focused at the wrong target. true, Mrs. Bush is associated, obviously, with the administration, but i cannot recall her ever making anything resembling a policy speech on Iraq.