Mother/Daughter Smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
So what do you think, should any parent be doing that? The celebrity issue is a whole other story..She obviously has had her issues with smoking-so one could wonder how she could keep her daughter from it. But it's still very odd to see a mother and her 16 year old daughter like that :slant: She is 16 and according to the caption with the photo the smoking age in the US is 18. Honestly I didn't even know there is a national smoking age. People will debate and question that point about cocaine, but bottom line is that the health effects of cigarettes can't be ignored. I've been thinking about all of this after talking to my mother about how she quit ages ago because her neighbor got terminal lung cancer that eventually spread. I didn't bring it up with her(wasn't going to open that can of worms)- but she smoked in front of her three kids too, and created the second hand smoke danger. I do know she would never have lit up with me, it would have been do as I say and not as I do. So it begs that question as well, but of course she is only 16.

melaniegriffiths.jpg

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?GT1=7701

"Melanie Griffith is taking heat for blowing smoke with her teenage offspring. Last week outside a Beverly Hills boutique, paparazzi snapped the actress, 48, cigarette dangling from her lips, lighting a nicotine stick for a young woman identified as her 16-year-old daughter, Dakota (dad is Don Johnson).

Given that you can't toss a spent butt these days without hitting an antismoking warning, it's not surprising that Melanie's not-so-maternal gesture has earned her a stern rebuke from the American Lung Association.

"I feel sorry for Ms. Griffith's inability to rid herself of this potentially fatal addiction but find it most reprehensible that she would facilitate her daughter's addiction," Dr. Norman Edelman, chief medical officer of the ALA, told MSN Entertainment when we contacted the organization for comment. "I am surprised by the bland public response. How would the public react to a photo of Ms. Griffith sharing a line of coke with her daughter? Lighting her cigarette is equivalent from a moral and health impact point of view."

According to Dr. Edelman, "Cigarette smoking is the major cause of preventable death in the US, killing about 450,000 Americans each year," and adds, "Virtually all people who die due to this addiction have been hooked in their teens or pre-teens."

This is interesting about her philosophy, some parents do say that. In her case at least it didn't work, but yet she is smoking with her daughter

"Griffith, meanwhile, raised eyebrows in 2000 when she told the New York Daily News, "I have said to my children, 'If anyone comes up to you with pot or any drugs, please tell me first. If you feel like you have to do it, I would rather you do it with me than with somebody else.'" Still, she added, "I would rather they not even try it."

Two years later, she admitted her plan didn't work with son Alexander (dad is Steven Bauer).

"I said that if my son wanted to smoke pot, I would smoke it with him. I did -- and it backfired," she was quoted as telling More magazine. "My thinking was that it would be better for him to do it at home than to go out in the street and get something that would kill him. I thought it was a good idea, but ultimately, it wasn't."

i personally wouldnt smoke a cigarette with my daughter.

actually, daisy would give me hell for even lighting up a cig so i have no problems there.

how do you think they both stay so slim?

cigarettes in hollywood are often considered a necessity -- appetite suppressant. in an industry that caters to a public that demands women be 30lbs underweight, is it any surprise?

Irvine511 said:
how do you think they both stay so slim?

cigarettes in hollywood are often considered a necessity -- appetite suppressant. in an industry that caters to a public that demands women be 30lbs underweight, is it any surprise?

Exactly.

These people don't starve and snort their way down to a size 1 for nothing.

Would I smoke with my child? Absolutely not. Lung cancer research is almost a lost cause - those cells can be virtually indestructible. I don't understand why some people are choosing to stay willfully ignorant on the matter.

and if you watched the "real housewives of orange county"

some of the friends want to be friends with the moms

29861.jpg

Hollywood has finally found a sexy niche for ageing starlets LOL.

Celebrities have always made pretty piss ass poor parental role models so why do we expect so much of them?

If a parent smokes it's definitely hard to expect that their child won't. But it's pretty easy for a parent to say "not in my presence" and otherwise refrain from encouraging it...and offering a light. :no:

Be sure all ye anti-smoking folks (who think ye will live forever)
stay clear of all the automobile exhausts as ye enter all your smoke-free eateries.

*OK, did we do a pollution check on that cigar?*

deep said:
so what,
it is their business

everyone wants to get into everybody's business these days

I realize it's ultimately their business, that really wasn't the purpose of the thread. I just thought maybe it was a way to start a discussion about parents and kids and smoking, etc.

If you had kids would you smoke with them? Give them a light?

She seems to believe it takes the forbidden nature of smoking away, many 16 year olds might smoke because of that-before they become addicted of course. She tried that her son with pot and it didn't work.

Yes it is a sad state of affairs that so many female celebs smoke in order to stay thin, not just celebs either. My mother told me she quit once long before the final time, but she gained weight so she started again. Her smoking actually turned me off to it- I have smoked occasionally but have no desire for it, no addiction to it. And I'd rather be heavier than smoke.

MrsSpringsteen said:

If you had kids would you smoke with them? Give them a light?

No, never. Smoking is one of those things that really gets me going. I've seen it destroy lives, but even worse, it's destroyed families, trust, and relationships. Yes, it IS a big deal. I can handle drinking and marajuana, but smoking is not acceptable to me and never will be. In fact, if I catch my kids smoking you can bet they will be punished (not hit, but have their freedom restricted until they can learn to respect themselves and their parents).

actually, what i think the real issue might be is the fact that she is 16, and one must be 18 to purchase tobacco products.

though i wonder about the consumption -- is it like alcohol where you cannot purchase or legally consume under 21? or can you just not purchase when under 18? i think of kids smoking outside in high school who were never busted, but had they been seen drinking, they would certainly have been.

Maybe this woman has had it out with her daughter and tried to prevent her from smoking, but ultimately her daughter is 16 and I doubt if she wants to smoke her Mum can stop her. By offering her a light, I don't think she is endorsing smoking. She just knows her daughter does this and accepts it.

I personally don't smoke and if I did I don't think my Mum would let me. By stopping me from doing something that I was was adamant I wanted to do, then I would probably resort to leaving home. And then I'd be facing far more dangerous things than cigarette smoke.

But what do I know - I'm not a parent.

partygirlvox said:
I personally don't smoke and if I did I don't think my Mum would let me. By stopping me from doing something that I was was adamant I wanted to do, then I would probably resort to leaving home. And then I'd be facing far more dangerous things than cigarette smoke.

For me, this issue would not really be about smoking and whether or not it's OK, but whether or not it's OK for a child to disrespect herself and her parents by intentionally disobeying. I don't think parenting based on whether or not the kids threatens to leave home is a good idea. If I disobeyed my mom, I wouldn't have to threaten to leve because she'd probably threaten to throw me out first. Parenting is about teaching respect, trust, and compassion - you can achieve this by ignoring problems because the child threatens to leave, or encouraging the behavior.

Back
Top Bottom