Mosque in Iraq attacked, 75 killed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Car Bomb Kills 75 at Mosque in Iraq
8/29/03
Photo: People dig through the rubble looking for bodies after a car bomb exploded next to Imam Ali shrine Friday Aug. 29, 2003, in Najaf, 102 miles (165 kms) south of Baghdad, Iraq, killing at least 75 people, including Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim, one of the country's most important Muslim clerics. (AP Photo/Khalid Mohamed)
NAJAF, Iraq (AP) - A car bomb ripped through a crowd of worshippers leaving Iraq's holiest Shiite shrine after Friday prayers, killing at least 75 people - including a top cleric - in the deadliest attack since the fall of Saddam Hussein.

The bomb, which also wounded more than 140, detonated outside the Imam Ali mosque as Ayatollah Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim emerged after a delivering a sermon calling for Iraqi unity. The attack was viewed by many as an assassination.

Some blamed the attack on Saddam loyalists - chiefly from the minority Sunni Muslim sect - while others saw it as part of a generational battle for leadership of the Shiites, who make up more than 60 percent of Iraq's population of 24 million.

The blast gouged a 3 1/2-foot crater in the street in front of the mosque, tore apart nearby cars and reduced neighboring shops to a tangled mass of metal, wood and corpses.

Ivan Watson, a correspondent for National Public Radio, said he was standing outside the mosque when the bomb exploded - "a deafening thunderclap" that sent flames 30 feet in the air just after al-Hakim finished his sermon.

The toll of 75 dead and 142 wounded was released by Dr. Safaa al-Ameedi, director of Najaf's main hospital, after a survey of the city's medical facilities. The toll was expected to rise, and Arab satellite broadcasters Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya both reported 82 people dead and 229 wounded.

Hours after the bombing, residents screamed in the streets in grief and anger. Some attacked reporters, while others continued searching through the debris for more victims.

Men and women pressed their hands and faces against the doors of the mosque, which was closed after the blast. Mosaic tiles were blown off the gold-domed building, a sacred Shiite shrine where the Imam Ali, the son-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad is buried. The building, which is visited by tens of thousands of pilgrims each year, appeared only slightly damaged.

The bombing was certain to complicate American efforts to pacify an increasingly violent Iraq.

Ahmad Chalabi, the leader of Iraqi National Congress and a Governing Council member, blamed the attack on those behind the Aug. 19 suicide truck bombing at the U.N. headquarters in Iraq that killed at least 23 people and injured more than 100. He offered no evidence to support his claim.

"I don't hold the American forces responsible for the al-Hakim assassination," he told Al-Jazeera. "But I hold the coalition forces responsible for security in Iraq. The Americans have taken responsibility for security in Iraq and I appeal to them to keep the peace."

No coalition troops were in the area of the mosque out of respect for the holy site, Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Jim Cassella said in Washington. U.S.-led troops have been asked to stay away from the mosque by Shiite officials.

An Associated Press reporter in Najaf on Thursday saw no U.S. troops in the city, which is 110 miles south of Baghdad. However, after the bombing, American troops stood guard outside the city's main hospital although they were not in the area around the mosque. Spanish forces, assuming control of the region from the U.S. Marines, were seen in small numbers on the outskirts.

In Washington, Defense Department officials said the Iraqi police would lead the investigation into the bombing, and U.S. investigators would assist only if asked.

L. Paul Bremer, the top U.S. civilian official in Iraq, denounced the bombing, saying it demonstrated that "the enemies of the new Iraq will stop at nothing."

"Again, they have killed innocent Iraqis. Again, they have violated one of Islam's most sacred places. Again, by their heinous action, they have shown the evil face of terrorism," Bremer said in a statement.

Iranian political analyst Morad Veisi said from Tehran that the killing of al-Hakim "is a blow to Iraq's unity" by those who seek to sow discord between Shiite and Sunni Muslims.

"The killing appears to have sought to deny Shiite Muslims an effective role in Iraq's future at a time when Iraq is gradually preparing for elections," he said, adding that the United States shares the blame for failing to provide adequate security.

While the Shiites themselves are battling for control of the sect and its future, there was no evidence the bombing was the work of the younger Shiite faction. That group has strongest support in Baghdad's Sadr City slum and has been trying to wrest control from al-Hakim followers.

About 1,000 al-Hakim followers demonstrated in front of the headquarters of the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Sadr City. Some sat weeping; others shouted for revenge.

Al-Hakim was the council's leader, dividing his time since the end of the war between Tehran and Najaf. The council had been formed in Iran during the exile of many leading Shiites.

The ayatollah belonged to one of the most influential families in Iraq's Shiite community. His brother, Abdel-Aziz al-Hakim, is a member of the U.S.-picked interim government and led the armed wing of the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq, headquartered in Iran before the war.

Younger Shiites have been fighting for power with the more traditional Shiite Muslims in the city and region, trying to grab control from the al-Hakim family.

Sheik Muqtada al-Sadr, who is not yet 30, and his young followers have sought to replace more traditional Shiite factions, portraying themselves as the ones doing the most to redress decades of suppression under Saddam.

Students of Shiism, however, say al-Sadr draws most of his support from the historical following developed by his father, a leading Shiite academic murdered by Saddam.

The power struggle has centered on Najaf, the holiest Shiite Muslim city in Iraq.

The blast came a week after a bombing at the Najaf home of another of Iraqi's most important Shiite clerics killed three guards and injured 10 others. It exploded at the home of Mohammed Saeed al-Hakim - a relative of the slain ayatollah - just after noon prayers Aug. 24.

A day after Saddam's ouster, a mob at the Imam Ali mosque hacked to death Abdul Majid al-Khoei, a Shiite cleric who had just returned from exile, at a meeting called to reconcile rival groups.

Earlier Friday, attackers fired rocket-propelled grenades at two U.S. convoys in separate ambushes, killing one American soldier and wounding six, the U.S. military said.

The death raised the number of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq to 282. Of those, 67 have died in combat since May 1, when President Bush declared an end to major combat operations in Iraq.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Ahmad Chalabi, the leader of Iraqi National Congress and a Governing Council member, blamed the attack on those behind the Aug. 19 suicide truck bombing at the U.N. headquarters in Iraq that killed at least 23 people and injured more than 100.

This guy was Wolverwits and Richard Perle's pick to run Iraq.

He whipped up support for the WMD concept.

I think he is right that the same party is behind the UN attack.

I guess the UN and Shia Muslims should line up behind the U. S. occupiers now.

I don't have a really favorable opinion of Chalabi. He got busted in Jordan in some huge bank scandal and may have other skeletons in his closet. But he's probably right about the attack on the mosque. I can't imagine who in hell would attack a mosque; it seems so incongruous for even Islamicist terrorists. Maybe it's a Sunni plot against Shi'ites. I don't know. The whole situation is depressing. Their best bet is a moderate Islamic state. They will be led by Islamic leaders; they're a Moslem people so that's only logical. I just hope the leaders aren't a bunch of pseudo-Wahhabists. If they are *not* a bunch of pseudo-Wahhabists they might actually be a pretty good government. Hell, let them take over and end this inferno.

In my opinion this act of terrorism has been carried out by the Clerics I have listed in other threads. The Grand Ayatolla who was killed was kidnapped months ago and released when tribal people came to his rescue.

The other Cleric who was killed just after the invasion, was also a supporter of the US invasion. THere is a power struggle within the SHI'ITE community right now. The younger Clerics are extrememly anti-American and they do not support the leadership of the SHI'ITE popultation so they are making moves to change it.

Yeah, that's what it is. It was reported in the newspapers that the cleric killed was a U.S. ally and some of the other Shi'ites didn't like this. Ugh. I really don't think there's anything we can do about Islamic politics like this. They're just going to fight it out. I have to wonder if a monarchy would help Iraq. I guess it depends on who the monarch is and how sensitive he might be to Islamic sensibilities. One thing that made the Shah in Iran unpopular was his brand of secularism. Some Islamic practices were suppressed and this was really unpopular.

Back
Top Bottom