Morgan Freeman Criticizes Black History Month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I will wait to see the interview so I can get the whole context, but this is a thought provoking perspective. I don't know what to think about it, is talking about "black" and "white" and "black history" inherently perpetuating racism? I definitely agree with him that black history IS American history, and a month certainly doesn't do it justice.

Thu Dec 15th

NEW YORK -
Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated — when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

Freeman received Oscar nominations for his roles in 1987's "Street Smart," 1989's "Driving Miss Daisy" and 1994's "The Shawshank Redemption." He finally won earlier this year for "Million Dollar Baby."

I think this might be a rerun, sorry :reject:. I vaguely recall seeing a story about him on TV over the summer- he went back to where he was born, I think he still lives there actually. I believe it was Tennessee, and they showed him in a jazz club he owns there in Memphis. I don't remember that part of the interview where he talked about racism.

Maybe I am just confused, I don't know :wink:

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

I agree completely. The labels don't do justice to the diversity on either side.

Last year in my business management class we had a man come and speak on encouraging diversity in the work force. The man looked "black" and at the end of his presentation he asked us what race we thought he was an everyone said African America. He was actually Native American and something else...I can't remember what....but his point was that we all labeled him "black" when neither part of him was African American.

blueyedpoet said:
as it so happens the other 11 months are white history months

Actually, if you sit in most high school classrooms today you'll find this not to be the case. I don't "do" black history month or women's history month because I don't ignore these groups on a daily basis.

As an educator, I agree with Mr. Freeman. :up:

I like Morgan Freeman and I really think he's on to something here. He makes some excellent points. One big reason why we haven't beaten racism yet is that what we're doing about it really is not that effective. We need to change, and this is where ideas like this come in.

Re: Re: Morgan Freeman Criticizes Black History Month

nbcrusader said:

There is a deep wisdom in this statement.

thanks for giving me credit:wink:

I have posted most than once
that I do not believe in labels

WildHoneyAlways said:

Actually, if you sit in most high school classrooms today you'll find this not to be the case. I don't "do" black history month or women's history month because I don't ignore these groups on a daily basis.

As an educator, I agree with Mr. Freeman. :up:
well, it has been like four years since i was in high school, but i really don't remember that much black history. has that much changed in just a few years? and what of the history channels of TV?
I agree that history should just be history, unfortunately it's not right now in this country.

i have it on tivo, i will watch it later

it may be a rerun

it just made drudge because he sound bited it
as a black man against black history

the truth is he is a black man for black history to be included 24/7

I don't ignore these groups on a daily basis.

Gay friends of mine feel exactly the same way about gay pride day. They feel it creates more separation than unity and they want to be recognized as people like everyone else, not gay people.

joyfulgirl said:
Gay friends of mine feel exactly the same way about gay pride day. They feel it creates more separation than unity and they want to be recognized as people like everyone else, not gay people.

good point.

i understand where Pride came from, and i don't see why if there's a St. Patrick's Day parade there can't be a gay parade, but it seems increasingly anachronistic with each year that passes.

Irvine511 said:

good point.

i understand where Pride came from, and i don't see why if there's a St. Patrick's Day parade there can't be a gay parade, but it seems increasingly anachronistic with each year that passes.

Agreed. Still, for people who want to celebrate their gayness (or blackness or whatever) I certainly have no problem with it. My friends simply don't participate but it's not like they strongly feel it should go away or anything.

I know that few things send me running to the hills faster than just about any gender-specific event. You won't find me in any women's group ever.

Black history month used to drive me up a wall in school. I couldn't stand it. It was really MLK month. Or "You, Black Child, Could Be President!" Uh huh. Suppose I want to be a rock star instead? "NoNoNo! Be PRESIDENT. You are a Nubian Queeen. Hate Whites. Be Suspicious. They Are After You."
Heh. It got to be a joke. To this day, 11 years after my last black history class, I can tell you /nothing/ of the so called highlights of my 'race's triumphiant history'. Seriously. They tried, poor buggers, but they simply ignored too much American history in trying to make Black kids feel speshul. I think it's really a long as stick for the previous generations who went through shite to whack the younger generations with when we don't perform as expected. Long and short is, most young blacks I know don't care to continue the crappy, suspicious attitude of the past over.

Back
Top Bottom