"... more radical than 'Brokeback Mountain' ..." - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:18 AM
He basically means what Armistead Maupin wrote in your quoted text: That gays and lesbians are tired of getting put into categories, or to link it to your previous post: That this term "gay culture" is just, sorry, crap.
As there is no "straight culture".

Old 07-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I don't understand what you mean.
You don't? Yet you're an expert on gay culture and know it's so non-inclusive. How is it you don't know if straight culture is inclusive or not?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

There are exclusively gay bars, gay nightclubs, gay fiction sections in bookshops, there will probably be gay music sections in record shops soon.

i'm pretty anti-ghetto, but these places arose because there was no other place for a gay person to go. do you really think i can hold Memphis's hand in a straight bar? who's doing the excluding? is it gay people that call Gore Vidal a gay writer? or is it majority culture that will call Toni Morrison an African-American writer? this is very much a two-way street, and majority culture usually defines the terms by which a minority gets to define itself.

if you wanted to talk about some gay clubs seeking to ban heterosexuals, specifically straight women, then that might be grist for this mill. and i'd agree -- as much as i dislike the idea of a heard of drunk straight girls screaming and dancing at a gay club and treating the usual patrons as if they are exhibits at a petting zoo, i can't see exclusion as the answer.

that said, i generally take it as a good thing that there's less of a "need" for gay bookstores, in the way that i hope there's one day no "need" for a Black Student Union.

the neighborhood i currently live in in DC has a few bars that i consider very "post-" -- as in, you could be black, white, lesbian, gay, and go in there with whatever group of friends you want, and no one will bat an eyelash. i'd say the majority of the patrons in these bars are straight, but i've seen women holding hands.

i hope that's the trend.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

And there are plenty of places that don't allow homosexuals.

We just don't call them "straight bars" or "straight clubs."

actually, that's not entirely true.

gay people can easily "pass." i can go anywhere i want.

i just can't do whatever i want wherever i want.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

actually, that's not entirely true.

gay people can easily "pass." i can go anywhere i want.

i just can't do whatever i want wherever i want.
Ah, thank you for correcting me. That's what I meant, but poorly phrased.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

I saw Chuck and Larry last night and it does have a touching message, it is strange because you are thinking it is stereotypical and anti-gay in ways but then you realize why they did it that way. I was shocked to see the Alexander Payne credit.

I just hope the guy who was sitting a few rows behind me who kept laughing very loudly every time Sandler said faggot in the early parts of the movie got the message.

Maybe it's Brokeback Mountain for some straight guys who refused to see that movie for certain reasons, because gay issues are so much easier to take when you can look at constant shots of Jessica Biel's butt And they're only pretending to be gay so somehow that's more acceptable-of course that is just a subplot in the overall message of the movie.