"... more radical than 'Brokeback Mountain' ..." - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
Memphis and i discussed seeing this tonight, but i think we're going to do the actual gay thing and go see "Hairspray" (!!!) instead, which is probably much more subversive in that it's supposedly a hugely enjoyable, candy-colored, PG-rated, misfit championing, just-be-yourself messaging filim that's as thoroughly gay as can be in form, content, and execution, and features John Travolta in drag and a fat suit and who's knock-down-the-walls-with-exuberance finale song -- "you can't stop the beat" -- is about the inevitability of progressive social movements, which, in this film, is the civil rights movment, but could just as easily be about gay rights.
The reviews are every bit as good as the orignial with Divine and Ricki Lake. I saw a "making of" the other night and I loved the story about the girl cast in Ricki Lake's role who was working in some awful fast food kitchen when she got the part. It looks like a fun movie.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:10 AM
And one of the dancers from our school is in it!!! I can't wait to see him, even if it is a small role.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:10 PM
I just got back from Hairspray, and it was a hoot and a holler. Really fun.

Mr. Sandler's movie is getting horrible reviews, if Rottentomatoes.com is anything to go by. For what it's worth.

I thought it looked awful from the trailers, although if I were to guess at the plot from the trailers, it seemed more about Jessica Biel's breasts than a faux gay relationship.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I just got back from Hairspray, and it was a hoot and a holler. Really fun.

Mr. Sandler's movie is getting horrible reviews, if Rottentomatoes.com is anything to go by. For what it's worth.

I thought it looked awful from the trailers, although if I were to guess at the plot from the trailers, it seemed more about Jessica Biel's breasts than a faux gay relationship.

i'm curious to see "chuck and larry" just because i'm interested in how straight people tell other straight people to be nice to gay people, but that's more anthropological than anything. i haven't seen an Adam Sandler movie since "Happy Gilmore."

and now i'm off to see "Hairspray."

"Ever since this old world began
A woman found out if she shook it
She could shake up a man
And so i'm gonna shake and shimmy it
The best that i can today

'Cause you cant stop
The motion of the ocean
Or the sun in the sky
You can wonder if you wanna
But i never ask why

And if you try to hold me down
I'm gonna spit in your eye and say
That you cant stop the beat!"

forward inclusive progressive movements!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Quote:
forward inclusive progressive movements!
It seems to me that 'gay culture' as it exists today is inherently non-inclusive.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

It seems to me that 'gay culture' as it exists today is inherently non-inclusive.
And what are your thoughts about 'straight culture', since you are probably more versed in speaking about that...
Old 07-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:10 AM
I don't really care when I see comedies get bad ratings. I've always been partial to incredibly lame humor.

Hairspray doesn't look like my kind of movie. I've never been able to enjoy musicals for some reason. The only one I ever really liked was Bye Bye Birdy.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

can you explain further? are you refering to various sub-cultures within gay culture, gay culture as a whole, gay culture as it relates to straight culture ... what do you mean?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

and Hairspray was terrific.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:10 AM
^I always appreciated your ability to look past the generalization to question the specific. You push people past their intellectual comfort zone. You ask. That's a rare commodity here (and everywhere).
Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

A couple weeks ago I went to a movie at a theater that was doing an early Hairspray screeing at the same time. All I have to say is, wow.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #27
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

And what are your thoughts about 'straight culture', since you are probably more versed in speaking about that...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
can you explain further? are you refering to various sub-cultures within gay culture, gay culture as a whole, gay culture as it relates to straight culture ... what do you mean?
There are exclusively gay bars, gay nightclubs, gay fiction sections in bookshops, there will probably be gay music sections in record shops soon.

As Armistead Maupin put it:-

"I've always been proud of the fact that I've been openly gay longer than just about anybody writing today but I never intended for that declaration to mean that I was narrowing my focus in any way, or joining a niche now publishing has decided there's money in this, or at least a market now a formalised thing has sprung up which I think is extremely detrimental to anybody beginning to write today...........I think Jerry Falwell must be very happy with those little cubby-holes at the back of book stores that say 'gay and lesbian' - it's a warning sign, they can keep their kids away from that section. I'd like people to stumble on my works in the literature section of Barnes and Noble and have their lives changed because of it.

It's complicated. I don't want to feel any less queer, but I think for us to march along in a dutiful little herd called 'gay and lesbian literature' and have little seminars that we hold together is pointless at this point, it makes no sense to me at all. I cringe when I get 'gay writer' each time. Why the modifier? I'm a writer. It's like calling Amy Tan a Chinese-American writer every time you mention her name, or Alice Walker a black writer. We're all discussing the human condition. Some of us have revolutionised writing by bringing in subject-matter that nobody's heard about before. But we don't want that to narrow the definition of who we are as an artist. I don't mind being cross-shelved. I'm very proud of being in the gay and lesbian section, but I don't want to be told that I can't sit up in the front of the book store with the straight, white writers."
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I don't understand what you mean.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

There are exclusively gay bars, gay nightclubs, gay fiction sections in bookshops, there will probably be gay music sections in record shops soon.
And there are plenty of places that don't allow homosexuals.

We just don't call them "straight bars" or "straight clubs."