More Orwellian everyday: APCs on LA streets - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I don't think the video could be faked.

It now seems like a prank.
yeah

the only law enforcement i saw in the video was police on bikes with bike
helmets.

maybe you were had

how was it for you?

Old 11-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:48 PM
I don't think I was completely had, just a teeny bit had. No conclusions were drawn, the article was inconclusive, it didn't make any sense, I wanted to know what it was about and we found out. I think maybe Amy Goodman was more had than me, since she first reported it, lol.

Old 11-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

ahh

pacifica

my ol' friend
Old 11-11-2004, 03:00 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Oh, OK, it seems like some security for the upcoming Veteran's Day Parade was out. Like I said I'm not worried about any of my protest activities being harrassed by the local cops or whoever. I think perhaps people like myself who plan to protest are a bit sensitive about this stuff right now.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:58 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Speaking of intimidation of protestors, I once went to a demonstration outside an embassy in London where someone had thoughtfully decided to place snipers on the roof of the surrounding buildings. Interesting day...
Old 11-12-2004, 02:28 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:48 PM
So indymedia lied again, I guess that their reputation proves itself once again?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:47 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Speaking of intimidation of protestors, I once went to a demonstration outside an embassy in London where someone had thoughtfully decided to place snipers on the roof of the surrounding buildings. Interesting day...
That sounds more like standard security now a days.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:00 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

That sounds more like standard security now a days.
Nah....
Old 11-12-2004, 07:57 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
So indymedia lied again, I guess that their reputation proves itself once again?
They didn't lie at all. They merely reported exactly what happened, that APCs showed up at a protest and it was unclear why they were there, period.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:00 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

no it's not lying... i believe the proper word is "misleading."
Old 11-12-2004, 08:07 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Given that 1500 peaceful protestors were arrested outside of the RNC, it's not too misleading to wonder why the hell APCs are showing up at another peaceful protest.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:13 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting perspective. We have agenda driven media creating a story based on pictures and a video.

If you read the story, the "peaceful" protestors stop, surround two vehicles and get the "commanders" to "surrender".

I guess some will take this twisted view of the world as reality.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
We have agenda driven media creating a story based on pictures and a video.
youre right. media is increasingly 'agenda-driven'. and this is an example of it. indymedia substantively only reported the story but as users of this forum easily found out there were other important facts that were not mentioned (as far as i know).

it reminds me of the time mainstream cable news in the western world passed these images off as the consensus arab reaction to 9/11.

point being that the media is polarizing-in seperate directions.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:33 AM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Given that 1500 peaceful protestors were arrested outside of the RNC, it's not too misleading to wonder why the hell APCs are showing up at another peaceful protest.
i witnessed a lot of these "peaceful protestors" getting arrested... the ones who were arrested were doing so because they broke the law. yes, you have the right to protest in this country. but you don't have the right to break the law while doing so. you don't have the right to block traffic illegaly, you don't have the right to march down a street without a permit, you don't have the right to disobey police officers, you don't have the right to set fire to a float right in front of the garden, you don't have the right to lay down naked in the middle of the street.

the people who were arrested knew they were breaking the law and probably counted on getting arrested. let's not make it out to be anything more than that, shall we?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:35 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
LOS ANGELES
Military's Presence at Antiwar Rally Is Called a Coincidence

By Wendy Thermos
Times Staff Writer

November 12, 2004

Photos and a video posted on the Internet this week depicting tanks at an antiwar demonstration in front of the Federal Building in Westwood provoked hundreds of outraged postings.

But police and witnesses said the armored vehicles were on their way to a Veterans Day event at the nearby Veterans Affairs grounds on Wilshire Boulevard, stopping only for a red light near the Federal Building.

"It's a whole lot of nothing," said Officer Kathy Simpson, a Los Angeles Police Department spokeswoman. "The 'tanks' were there for Veterans Day. They ride in the parade and wave."

The antiwar protest, sponsored by the group Act Now to Stop War & End Racism, was held Tuesday evening near the VA grounds, where a parade and exhibit were staged Wednesday.

Blurred photos posted on the Internet showed military personnel in battle gear standing at their hatches, behind gun turrets mounted on two tank-like vehicles rolling through traffic. Closer inspection showed the vehicles were not tanks but light-armored vehicles, which are smaller than tanks and ride on rubber tires instead of treads.

Several websites denounced the vehicles' presence and accused the military of trying to intimidate peaceful protesters. "There was absolutely no excuse to deploy tanks against a law-abiding crowd," said one site.

A statement posted Wednesday by Answer said, "It is an outrage to see tanks rolling through the streets of Los Angeles."

By Thursday, however, a representative fielding phone calls for the nonprofit group was considerably calmer. "I can't speak for everybody, but I think people are overreacting a little bit," said Darrin Downey, who saw the vehicles driving by. "It didn't seem hostile. I believe they were just going around the corner."

The demonstration was already over, he added.

It's not clear which branch of the military the vehicles belonged to. A Camp Pendleton spokesman said he believed his base sent one or two armored vehicles to the exhibit and parade, which celebrated Veterans Day and the Marine Corps' 229th birthday Wednesday. "I can guarantee you we didn't send them over there to scare a bunch of protesters," Sgt. Mark Ledesma said.