Mordechai Vanunu freed from prison after 18 years hero or traitor? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2004, 02:50 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Even in the days of the cold war, the US and USSR worked to keep nuclear knowledge out of the hands of unstable and third world nations. Some people really aren't trustworthy enough to have that kind of info, it could blow up the world. Sometimes common sense has to rule. This isn't kids sharing candy here.

I'm sure there will be those who joke that the ones who have it aren't trustworthy either. Well the countries who have it now haven't blown up the world yet, have they? But some extremists or terrorist might.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
Even in the days of the cold war, the US and USSR worked to keep nuclear knowledge out of the hands of unstable and third world nations. Some people really aren't trustworthy enough to have that kind of info, it could blow up the world. Sometimes common sense has to rule. This isn't kids sharing candy here.

I'm sure there will be those who joke that the ones who have it aren't trustworthy either. Well the countries who have it now haven't blown up the world yet, have they? But some extremists or terrorist might.
No one's blown up the world, but take a look at who's done the most damage with this type of technology.

No one should own these type of weapons, it just doesn't make sence. We already have enough spread throughout the world to make humanity exticnt twice over.

And why hold it secretly if you are only using it to "keep peace"?

Old 04-21-2004, 03:12 PM   #18
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No one's blown up the world, but take a look at who's done the most damage with this type of technology.

No one should own these type of weapons, it just doesn't make sence. We already have enough spread throughout the world to make humanity exticnt twice over.

And why hold it secretly if you are only using it to "keep peace"?
It's true no one should own them but that's a fantasy la la la world dream. They do exist and they have to be kept out of the wrong hands. Why hold them secretly? Because there are some people not responsible enough or stable enough to have those weapons. I really, really can't believe anyone could think it's a good thing to let everybody in the world know how to make a nuclear bomb
Old 04-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:26 PM
But that wasn't what this Israeli did. He did not sell the secrets, the technology itself. All he did was show to the rest of the world that Israel was having a secret program of WMD. That's all he wanted to show.

C ya!

Marty
Old 04-21-2004, 03:23 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Because there are some people not responsible enough or stable enough to have those weapons. I really, really can't believe anyone could think it's a good thing to let everybody in the world know how to make a nuclear bomb
What?! I'm not sure what this has to do with this instance...
Old 04-21-2004, 04:10 PM   #21
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 12:26 PM
Popmartijn:
exactly, mr Vanunu said at his first press conference:
"Israel doesn't need nuclear weapons, especially now that all of the Middle East is free from nuclear arms. My message today to all the world is open the Dimona reactor for inspections"

Klaus

ps. Whatever you think of what Mr Vanunu has done, i think he's simply a hero because he survived these conditions in jail.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:15 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

What?! I'm not sure what this has to do with this instance...
Guess I misunderstood, it looked like a couple of you thought keeping nuclear technology to yourself was a rude thing

I still think the guy betrayed his country though.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Whatever you think of what Mr Vanunu has done, i think he's simply a hero because he survived these conditions in jail.

He was kidnapped from Italy by the Israeli security forces and imprisoned for eighteen years, a lot of it in solitary confinement. And now the Israeli government are even trying to control what he's allowed to do now he's been released.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:33 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Guess I misunderstood, it looked like a couple of you thought keeping nuclear technology to yourself was a rude thing

I still think the guy betrayed his country though.
No, I think starting a weapons program and telling the world you're not, is not exactly the move of a country "not intending to use them". And that was my point. If you have them just to maintain leverage and never really intend on using them, then you let people know you at least have them otherwise what's point?

I don't think anyone should put their country before their moral conscience. Not that I'm saying this is the case, but no one has really told me why he's exactly a traitor, no one's told me how he crossed the line or where they think that line is.