Moore sued for falsifying newspaper headline for movie - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2004, 11:25 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Moore sued for falsifying newspaper headline for movie

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/fc?d=tm...=michael_moore

I always did doubt his credibility factor.

How ironic, a movie accusing Bush of doing this kind of stuff, but he's guilty of lying too!

Old 07-30-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:47 PM
It doesn't matter if its not true, because it is itself part of a bigger truth.
/Moore-on Logic

Old 07-31-2004, 12:40 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:47 AM
The article says that the headline DID appear in the paper...and they are suing for $1! GOSH...I sure hop Moore can settle this one of court!

It looks like a publicity stunt for a small town daily. This really is pretty petty compared to Bush's misrepresentation of facts that Moore has brought to light.

Interjection of personal opinion: BTW (that means "By The Way"), as a former journalist and lover of the print medium (and one who has purchased and read the Patagraph before), this is a lousy newspaper. This should help them sell a few more copies and raise ad rates! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED (to steal from Bush).
Old 07-31-2004, 12:48 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Question Everything, including Moore: http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fift...enheit-911.htm
Old 07-31-2004, 01:38 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Speaking of Michael Moore: Did anyone watch 'Real Time with Bill Mahr"? I couldn't believe he and Bill got on their knees and begged Ralph Nader not to run this year. Of all the people in the world to slam Nader, it shouldn't have been them. I know it was all in fun, but you could tell Ralph wasn't expecting it and couldn't say anything.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:44 AM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
Speaking of Michael Moore: Did anyone watch 'Real Time with Bill Mahr"? I couldn't believe he and Bill got on their knees and begged Ralph Nader not to run this year. Of all the people in the world to slam Nader, it shouldn't have been them. I know it was all in fun, but you could tell Ralph wasn't expecting it and couldn't say anything.
In principal Nader should be there, but given the political climate his running only helps Bush. It's a sad state, but this is by far one the most important elections in my lifetime (I'm almost 30). It's a sad necessity. Unfortunatly the way things stand now, a three party election like that when Nader had a following and when Perot ran, is great in theory, but in reality will always take votes from one of the other party so one of the major parties always benefits. Honestly to have a true democracy that doesn't consist of Democrats or Republicans, we need at least 4 or 5 party canidates. Until then a strong third party will always "steal" votes. It's a sad truth.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
The article says that the headline DID appear in the paper
No you misread that. It said there WAS a line reading that way in the paper, but it was over a 'letter to the editor' one individual person had written, on the back page, and came with a disclaimer that it did not reflect the views of the paper. Moore falsified the paper's headline to look as if this was a big story they had written and put on the front page! That's FRAUD!
Old 07-31-2004, 09:02 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

And he altered the date to make it appear differently, man is a bloody fraud. When the mainstream left embraces this liar it stifles proper debate and ruins political discussion. Out with the talking heads, out with the Michael Moores and in with intelligent analysis of real issues.

Quote:
"Who attacked the United States on September 11 -- a guy on dialysis from a cave in Afghanistan, or your friends, Saudi Arabia? ... You do not get this skilled at learning how to fly jumbo jets by being taught on a video game machine at some dipshit flight training school in Arizona. You learn to do this in the air force. Someone's air force. The Saudi Air Force? What if these weren't wacko terrorists, but military pilots who signed on to a suicide mission? What if they were doing this at the behest of either the Saudi government or certain disgruntled members of the Saudi royal family? ... Why do you refuse to say, 'Saudi Arabia attacked the United States!'?"
So Moore says that the 9/11 attacks were carried out with full support and training by the Saudi Government in his book Dude, Wheres my Country. I suppose that beneath his cap he stores a cheeseburger and 3 layers of tinfoil to keep the Zionist-CIA-Mossad Sattelites from reading his mind.

He also has a very in depth opinion of Muqtada al Sadrs "uprising" earlier this year.
Quote:
The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not 'insurgents' or 'terrorists' or 'the enemy' They are the Revolution, the Minutemen and their numbers will grow - and they will win
So Mike thinks that a crowd of gun wielding, grog shop burning, women raping, police killing thugs who follow a low level cleric who seeks political advantage through chaos are the same as the Minutemen! This man supports the enemy and desires to see the US beaten in Iraq no matter how many innocent people are killed, he is worse than Pilger because Moore actually has influence. How long until the mainstream left can distance themselves from this charlatan and begin to argue the issues properly. By saying such things then hiding behind arguments of "dont you dare question my patriotism" Moore is doing great harm to political discourse within the US and abroad and as the extreme becomes mainstream and more people are conditioned to fear the government in the name of book and movie sales they will stand there astonished when there is actually another attack and thousands die many coming to their senses that there is a real and tangiable threat to civilization out there and even more turning away and blaming the government for the attack (YES I SAID IT, Proportionally Moore has personally benefited more from 9.11 and the War on Terror than the Carlyle Group or Big Oil or Bush, his influence over the left and many people has increased he needs to create this feeling that the government is out there to get innocent law abiding citizens through a fake war on terror so that he can gain influence and make a fat wad of cash through book sales and movie deals, many in this forum have fallen for Moore hook, line and sinker).
Old 07-31-2004, 10:29 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

BVS, I agree with you about third parties. In principle Nader has the right to run. But, he's pissing off former supporters. I think it's duplicitous for him to get on the ballot with Republican signatures. This might have something to do with Michigan kicking him off the ballot, I don't know. I read on his web site that he's suing both Michigan and Illinois over ballot access as neither state will put him on the ballot. It's not his year. I'm normally a strong supporter of third party rights, I don't think it's fair to limit ballot access. But Ralph is pissing people off right and left. He's pissed off the Greens, which he really can't afford to do. That's how he got on the ballot in 1996 and 2000, and now he's complaining that the Green Party is "faction-ridden". I'm sure they're saying "Gee, thanks, Ralph. We got you ballot access twice, is this the thanks we get?" It looks like sour grapes to me, Cooper worked for the Green nomination and he deserves it. I support his right to be on the ballot. I also support the right of the Libertarian candidate to be on the ballot. I once dated a Libertarian.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
It looks like a publicity stunt for a small town daily. This really is pretty petty compared to Bush's misrepresentation of facts that Moore has brought to light.
Wow. I love ethics in the postmodern era. Tell your kids: It's okay to lie as long your lie is not as big as someone else's lie!
Old 07-31-2004, 11:13 AM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by stammer476

Wow. I love ethics in the postmodern era. Tell your kids: It's okay to lie as long your lie is not as big as someone else's lie!
or that you use your own lie to make your case that someone else lied!
Old 07-31-2004, 11:46 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, there is too much lying going on. I won't mention any names, but I'll just say I've seen way too much of it on the local level, in my city's politics. Last year during our mayoral campaign, we found out that one of the candidates, a City Councilwoman, had spent $42,000 of the city's money for a personal expense. This killed her campaign, but to me this wasn't enough. I thought she should have been busted for lying about the incident, and they just slapped her on the wrist. The candidates in that election were all terrible, in my opinion, including, unfortunately, the incumbent who won re-election. This joker used the taxpayer's money to buy a Cadillac for the mayor's office, even though he has his own car. What a rip-off. Meanwhile libraries are getting cut to the bone. Earlier this year we had a position abolished at our library, and now we have a pretty bad labor shortage. We are the fourth highest circulating library in the county, and we're not even one of the bigger branches. Needless to say no one is happy about this.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:58 PM   #13
War Child

I just thought of something. Maybe the reason they are only asking for $1 and a public apology is to prove that their reputation and their journalistic integrity are more important to them than money and fame (unlike 'sooome' people)
Old 07-31-2004, 03:05 PM   #14
Refugee

Coming from someone who enjoyed Farenheit 9/11, it is thoroughly disappointing to hear such news.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 07-31-2004, 03:10 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

So Mike thinks that a crowd of gun wielding, grog shop burning, women raping, police killing thugs who follow a low level cleric who seeks political advantage through chaos are the same as the Minutemen! This man supports the enemy and desires to see the US beaten in Iraq no matter how many innocent people are killed, he is worse than Pilger because Moore actually has influence. How long until the mainstream left can distance themselves from this charlatan and begin to argue the issues properly. By saying such things then hiding behind arguments of "dont you dare question my patriotism" Moore is doing great harm to political discourse within the US and abroad and as the extreme becomes mainstream and more people are conditioned to fear the government in the name of book and movie sales they will stand there astonished when there is actually another attack and thousands die many coming to their senses that there is a real and tangiable threat to civilization out there and even more turning away and blaming the government for the attack (YES I SAID IT, Proportionally Moore has personally benefited more from 9.11 and the War on Terror than the Carlyle Group or Big Oil or Bush, his influence over the left and many people has increased he needs to create this feeling that the government is out there to get innocent law abiding citizens through a fake war on terror so that he can gain influence and make a fat wad of cash through book sales and movie deals, many in this forum have fallen for Moore hook, line and sinker).
Forget it, it's not worth it.