Moore sued for falsifying newspaper headline for movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diemen said:
I would've at least waited until the job in Afghanistan was done and Bin Laden was captured.

I am stuck in the wonderful place where I felt that Saddam was contained, but that we had to do something about him eventually. I thought eventually was more pressing than it turns out to have been. In hindsight, I agree with you, that maybe we should have stayed focused until the job was done.

I also wonder, if because capturing Al-Qaeda leaders is such a difficult thing to do, if there were members of the administration that wanted something more tangible to show the public.

Actually implimenting seccurity measures that would help protect us, is not as exciting to the public.

Dreadsox said:

I also wonder, if because capturing Al-Qaeda leaders is such a difficult thing to do, if there were members of the administration that wanted something more tangible to show the public.

Actually implimenting seccurity measures that would help protect us, is not as exciting to the public.

This could very well be true. I agree with you that something should have been done eventually. I agree 100% that Afghanistan should have been completed first. I think Bush had an itchy trigger finger for Saddam and that it was somewhat personal with him. Going into Iraq would serve this administration in several ways and it's scary to think that public perception or even diversion would ever be a reason for war.

I disagree here, there have been plenty of successes in capturing Islamist terror leaders and operatives. By attacking Afghanistan directly a lot of good has been done but it has moved the base of operations for the Islamist terror groups and they have dispersed back into their respective regions, there is no one base to bomb and I doubt that those coordinating the organizations are hiding in caves on the Afghan/Pakistan border. Today is more dangerous because we have no idea who leads the operations, the old guard has been oblitterated and new operatives have taken their place, they have the money, will and strength to strike the west and they will bide their time and deliver on of truly shocking proportions. You also have to remember that the troop numbers and force type is entirely different between Afghanistan and Pakistan, you simply dont need massive numbers of regular army personell in a hunt for a few men in vast areas of rugged mountain. It is an intelligence operation in a theatre of operations that is harsh and inhospitable, keeping a lean mean fighting machine that can operate anywhere anythime is what needs to be done, it isnt the same as nation building but it certainly gets results.

We cannot loose sight of the failures pre-9/11. Terrorism was underestimated and the focus was too heavily on Rogue States, that was a folly that we can see clearly but we cannot make the opposite mistake, if we were to only focus on terrorism and ignore rogue states then that policy would no doubt come back to haunt us in a big way, the idea is to create a balanced approach that can show the Rogue States that the US means business and will deal with any threat, the Bush doctrine of targeting states that harbor and support terrorists is the way to prevent a truly massive attack.
In regards to the failure to catch Al Qaeda operatives you must bear in mind that isnt always stuff that hits newstands, often they are captured and detained for long periods while nobody knows where they are, it is a war fought in the shadows, somewhat an invisible war. Some really major victories though would be Khalid Sheik Mohammed and Hambali in 2002 are very big catches as well as those captured in Afghanistan and Pakistan, then you have the female operative nabbed just recently travelling to the East Coast. Problem is that nobody cares, most people have no understanding of the power structure within Islamist Terror groups (I say this because Al Qaeda is the tip of the iceberg, know your enemy and I can tell you that focusing exclusively on Al Qaeda will just leave you open for attacks from other groups). News reports barely mention them. This most recent terror warning was hot on the heels of 3 major arrests, I have little doubt that this may be the reason that the terror warnings were lifted, 3 new independent sources operating up until a week ago may have mentioned an attack, then again it could be a ploy - when you look too hard at a problem threats appear everywhere and you can be led around by your enemy.

Lastly you cannot argue with results, through his policies of striking the terrorists first GWB and a hell of a lot of luck there has not been any terrorist attacks on US since 9/11, I will not say that this guarantees there will never be another attack ever but keep in mind almost 3 years and no massive attacks, thats a record to be proud of, but will not mean a thing when the next attack occurs. I am pessimistic because I have a bit of an understanding of what is being faced and I guarantee you it will not matter how many leaders we capture or how many regimes are toppled, it only takes a small number of operatives with the expertise and support to pull off mass murder and no matter how much we try we will never be 100% effective in preventing them, not a defeatist attitude just the unfortunate reality.

It wont matter who wins the US election, generally speaking there is no major differences between Kerry and Bush in terms of foreign policy. They each know what is out there and they will look out for the national interest, wherever it may be and for better or worse life will go on.

Last edited:
I can argue with the results...LOL

There was no major terrorist attack on the US before 9/11. The fact that it has only been three years tips the scale in the other direction.

Dreadsox said:

Excellent point, dread - I agree. :up:

Though if they had captured Bin Laden I'm sure Bush's popularity would've skyrocketed.

A_Wanderer said:

Lastly you cannot argue with results, through his policies of striking the terrorists first GWB and a hell of a lot of luck there has not been any terrorist attacks on US since 9/11, I will not say that this guarantees there will never be another attack ever but keep in mind almost 3 years and no massive attacks, thats a record to be proud of, but will not mean a thing when the next attack occurs.

How can one prove this is a result of anything? One attack occurs on US soil and now we're measuring results? This is like saying that bigfoot exists because no one has shown any evidence otherwise. The only way to prove this statement is if you somehow had a magic wand and played those three years both ways one with a pre-imptive strike on Iraq and one without, unfortunately we can't.

Dreadsox said:
I can argue with the results...LOL

There was no major terrorist attack on the US before 9/11. The fact that it has only been three years tips the scale in the other direction.

You wouldn't call the attack on the World Trade Center in 1993 a "Major Terrorist Attack"? Ok, the results of the attack were not the same, but if the terrorist had used more explosives, they could very well have killed more people on that day than were killed on 9/11.

well if we want to use a similar kind of logic as with the "bush has kept it from happening for three year" thing, then Clinton did a great job preventing it from happening again during his admin (7 years) :wink:. I'm not saying either of those views is right, I'm just comparing with the same logic.

Diemen said:
I would've at least waited until the job in Afghanistan was done and Bin Laden was captured.

The majority of the military units involved in the invasion of Iraq would never be used in Afghanistan because they are heavy Armor. So It does not make sense for them to sit on the fence then and wait for an objective to be achieved that those Units will not take part in, when there is a serious national security risk that they can be working to solve.

In addition, the job in Afghanistan is primarily one of nation building now. This could take decades. If your suggesting that the world should wait until Afghanistan has been completed to act in Iraq, it sounds like to me you do not want any military action in Iraq?

The United States just like any other country has multiple security risks that they have to deal with, and I do not know where one gets the idea that one has the luxury to deal with them one at a time. There was a push at the start of World War II by some to focus only on Japan, thank God that idea was stopped.

STING2 said:

The majority of the military units involved in the invasion of Iraq would never be used in Afghanistan because they are heavy Armor. So It does not make sense for them to sit on the fence then and wait for an objective to be achieved that those Units will not take part in, when there is a serious national security risk that they can be working to solve.

That may be true the majority may not be needed for both, but it's the same tax dollars being spread over both, same administration fighting two wars, and yes there are some troops being stretched over both.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That may be true the majority may not be needed for both, but it's the same tax dollars being spread over both, same administration fighting two wars, and yes there are some troops being stretched over both.

It would be irresponsible for any administration to ignore multiple other national security risk to focus on only one. That logic makes no sense.

ThatGuy said:
That's right. We couldn't ignore the imminent threat of Saddam Hussien's WMDs.

One can never ignore a man that has murdered 1.7 million people, attacked and invaded 4 different countries unprovoked, threaten the global economy with total ruin through sabotage or siezure of vital energy reserves, used WMD more times than any leader in history, and has failed to account for over 1,000 Liters of Anthrax, 500 pounds of mustard gas, hundreds of pounds of sarin gas, over 20,000 Bio/Chem capable shells.

That's true. Same way you shouldn't ignore someone who said he has nuclear weapons that could take out Seattle. But you're making it sound that to put off attacking Saddam for one more minute until we caught the guy who ran the group that actually attacked our country would have been irresponsible. Couldn't we have waited and focused our resources on bin Laden rather than jumping into a new fight?

STING2 said:

It would be irresponsible for any administration to ignore multiple other national security risk to focus on only one. That logic makes no sense.

I'd agree with you if there was imminent threat.

ThatGuy said:
That's true. Same way you shouldn't ignore someone who said he has nuclear weapons that could take out Seattle. But you're making it sound that to put off attacking Saddam for one more minute until we caught the guy who ran the group that actually attacked our country would have been irresponsible. Couldn't we have waited and focused our resources on bin Laden rather than jumping into a new fight?

Should we have waited to defeat Japan before getting involved in the war against Germany?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'd agree with you if there was imminent threat.

At anytime, Saddam could invade Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, using what ever he had in his arsonal, potentially sabotaging or damaging the planets energy supply.

The United Nations new this in 1991 which is why in the 1991 Gulf War Ceacefire agreement, the criteria under which military action would resume against Saddam would be based on his non-compliance with UN resolutions.

If there was no reason for military action based on Saddam's failure to comply with the UN resolutions, the United Nations would never have approved resolutions authorizing the use of military force if he failed to disarm.

The United Nations looked at the situation in March 1991 after the first Gulf War and agreed that military force would be needed to insure the security of the region if Saddam failed to meet his obligations.

The vast Majority of people believed that Saddam would not invade Iran, but he did. The Vast Majority of people believed that Saddam would not invade Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, but he did. Many believed he would not directly attack Israel, but he did.

These facts forced the UN to develop a policy where renewed military action against Saddam would be based on whether or not he met his obligations. A prudent policy I might ad in light of the previous 10 years of history.

And you also have to realize that if the regime collapesed internally the entire country would disintegrate with no stabalizing force, the result of such a situation would either be Afghanistan Redux in the heart of the Middle East with WMD or an Iran invasion, if the Iranians could hold Iraq and Annex the Basra Oil Fields then there would be nothing to stop them making a move against the Gulf Sates, if that happened you would have a nuclear Islamic superpower in control of most of the worlds oil, that is not good for anybody and by removing Saddam on our terms that scenario has been removed.

STING2 said:

You wouldn't call the attack on the World Trade Center in 1993 a "Major Terrorist Attack"? Ok, the results of the attack were not the same, but if the terrorist had used more explosives, they could very well have killed more people on that day than were killed on 9/11.

I do believe you just put words in my mouth. While I respect your passion for your beliefs you really should be careful with the way you do this. It is not the first time.

I did not say 9/11 was not major, and having connections to three people who died that day, it really pisses me off that you did this. I have shoveled dirt in a peace garden amd played golf with one victems father.

There have been no major attacks on the US soil before 9/11 and none since 9/11. I was arguing a point that someone made that we are somehow more safe since 9/11 because of the Bush administration. I do not think that the absence of terrorist actions here in the US in the three years since proves that. There are far more years in which there were no terrorist actions before the Bush administration. That is my point.

Oklahoma City Bombing I think that that counts?

Seriously though, it is difficult to quantify your safety, these groups can sit back and wait, meticulously planning a major attack, I dont think that it would be right to say that we are definitely safer because of Bush however you also cannot definitely say that we are less Safe.

Last edited:
My apologies, Oklahoma City slipped my mind, I was not thinking home grown.

Dreadsox said:

I do believe you just put words in my mouth. While I respect your passion for your beliefs you really should be careful with the way you do this. It is not the first time.

I did not say 9/11 was not major, and having connections to three people who died that day, it really pisses me off that you did this. I have shoveled dirt in a peace garden amd played golf with one victems father.

There have been no major attacks on the US soil before 9/11 and none since 9/11. I was arguing a point that someone made that we are somehow more safe since 9/11 because of the Bush administration. I do not think that the absence of terrorist actions here in the US in the three years since proves that. There are far more years in which there were no terrorist actions before the Bush administration. That is my point.

I never said that you said 9/11 was not major! Please read my post carefully!

Do you remember the attack on the World Trade Center in 1993? It was during the CLINTON ADMINISTRATION. That was a terrorist attack, a major one that could have resulted in even more deaths than 9/11 if it had succeeded.

You claimed there were no major terrorist attacks prior to 9/11, but see there being two, the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in 1993 and the Oklahoma City bombing as A_Wanderer just mentioned.

That is why I asked if you didn't consider the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in 1993, to be a major terrorist attack. Yes, it did not fully succeed in its intentions, but if more explosive had been used, more people would have been potentially killed than on 9/11.

Wasnt the flaw with the Trade Center bombing that the urea nitrate bomb was parked in the wrong area of the carpark, or the building had changed from the schematics the cell had, instead of gutting the building and collapsing it the explosion hit a lot of concrete which prevented total disaster. The explosives themselves were well made care of Ramzi Yousef, the nephew of Khalid Sheik Mohammed.

STING2 said:
The United States just like any other country has multiple security risks that they have to deal with, and I do not know where one gets the idea that one has the luxury to deal with them one at a time. There was a push at the start of World War II by some to focus only on Japan, thank God that idea was stopped.

This is, again, where you and I differ on opinion.

I fully understand and recognize that it isn't prudent to deal with legitimate threats exclusively one at a time, but I do not believe Saddam was as big a threat at that time as the administration made him out to be. We had Kim Jong Il waving nuclear weapons around, basically taunting us to do something, and Saddam not fully complying with weapons inspectors. It's clear in my mind which was the more immediate threat at the time.

I also think it is a huge stretch to compare Saddam's Iraq to Hitler's Germany. At the time Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, Germany was involved in massive military operations against virtually the whole of Europe and was clearly bent on world domination. Of course it would of been foolish to concentrate fully on Japan with Germany already clearly in the process of trying to conquer Europe. In contrast, Saddam's post 9/11 Iraq had not even hinted or threatened at an attack on it's neighbors, or anyone else for that matter, and it is a matter of debate whether he was even capable of exerting much force on his neighbors. Was it a (remote) possibility? Sure. But I don't like the idea of going to war based on hypotheticals.

Last edited:
Diemen said:

I also think it is a huge stretch to compare Saddam's Iraq to Hitler's Germany. At the time Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, Germany was involved in massive military operations against virtually the whole of Europe and was clearly bent on world domination. Of course it would of been foolish to concentrate fully on Japan with Germany already clearly in the process of trying to conquer Europe. In contrast, Saddam's post 9/11 Iraq had not even hinted or threatened at an attack on it's neighbors, or anyone else for that matter, and it is a matter of debate whether he was even capable of exerting much force on his neighbors. Was it a (remote) possibility? Sure. But I don't like the idea of going to war based on hypotheticals.

Massive stretch.

Dang it, I had written a reply and then noticed that Dieman had already said it for me. And he'd said it better. :madspit: ;)

Diemen said:

This is, again, where you and I differ on opinion.

I fully understand and recognize that it isn't prudent to deal with legitimate threats exclusively one at a time, but I do not believe Saddam was as big a threat at that time as the administration made him out to be. We had Kim Jong Il waving nuclear weapons around, basically taunting us to do something, and Saddam not fully complying with weapons inspectors. It's clear in my mind which was the more immediate threat at the time.

North Korea is a very different case from Iraq.

#1 North Korea has not invaded any country in over 50 years! That is a MASSIVE contrast to what Saddam has done in invading and attacking 4 different countries unprovoked over the past 20 years. Can you name another dictator that has invaded and attacked four different countries over the past 20 years?

#2 Not even getting into the situation about Nuclear Weapons, consider this fact: North Korea has the nearly 10,000 pieces of artillery, many built into large fortifications in the mountains along the DMZ. Seoul, the Capital of South Korea is only 20 miles from the DMZ. South Korea is a capital of 10 million people and is in easy range of the largest artillery force in the world. The North Koreans have the capability to kill hundreds of thousands of South Koreans within hours of the start of any military conflict with just Conventional Artillery. This unique and unusual situation, where one of the largest population centers in the world, is in easy range of 10,000 artillery pieces is not found anywhere else in the world. The North Koreans have spent decades building this capability. It would take weeks of airstrikes and ground operations to completely destroy all the artillery in range of Seoul do to the well fortified and often hidden positions they have in the Mountains.

#3 Multiply the number of people killed above in #2 by several times if the North Koreans decide to use shells filled with WMD instead of just normal explosives.

#4 Now add in the fact that North Korea has Nuclear Weapons and the ability to deliver them to anywhere in South Korea as well as Japan, and now potentially Alaska, Hawaii and the West Coast of Canada and the United States.

In North Korea, we do have a country that indeed currently has the capacity to kill far more people do to its capabilities as well as the proximity to large Urban centers. But North Korea has not invaded any countries in over 53 years. Simply having the capability to do certain things is not enough to justifiy action. Rather, its have the capability and a past behavior in engaging in certain acts with that capability that is the threat.

Despite the dangers in going to war that Saddam has forced his country and himself to experience, this has never detered him. North Korea on the other hand has shown the opposite behavior of Saddam and has done virtually nothing outside of its territory for over 50 years now. Saddam never seemed to be able to see, the problems and dangers for Iraq and himself with his attacks and invasions. Even in the face of certain defeat and eventual death or capture, as we saw recently, Saddam thought differently.

In North Korea we have a country that has developed enormous capabilities, but never used them. In Saddam, we have a leader that is all to willing to take certain actions regardless of what it means for his country, himself, the region, and the world.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that North Korea is about to launch an invasion or an attack on anyone when it has not done so in half a century and has a leadership group that is several generations removed collectively from the one that launched North Korea's only invasion in its history in 1950. Saddam of course was the leader that attacked and invaded four different countries unprovoked, used WMD more times than any other country in history, threatened the entire Planet with economic ruin through the siezure and sabotage of the Persian Gulf Energy Reserves, and murdered 1.7 million people, many of whom were foreigners.

North Korea is not nearly as much a threat as Saddam because they have not behaved in any way like Saddam in regards to international actions, for over 50 years. In addition, the cost of a war with North Korea given its unique capabilities and proximity to one of the worlds largest urban area's, make the cost of disarmament through military force, simply to large. In Saddam we had a threat, a threat that could and needed to be handled through military force. In North Korea, we have raw capabilities that are enormous, but no threat of attack as demonstrated by the past 50 years. Since North Korea has essentially been a peaceful country in regards to its international actions concerning war for 50 years, and the cost of using military force to disarm them is so high, diplomacy and other means are the best course of action with North Korea.

My comparison to Germany and Japan was mainly to point out that it is unwise to simply focus on one threat. Saddam did though have the capability to do things that Germany never did in World War II. Saddam borders one of the most energy resource rich area's in the world and his siezure or sabotage of this small area would dramatically impact the entire planet that no similar German or Japanese action ever could. The oil fields in Saudi Arabia or mostly within 100 miles of the Iraqi and Kuwaiti border and some wells are pratically on the border. Kuwaits are of course near the Iraqi border, and most of Iran's are in the South West corner of the country near the Iraqi border.

In addition, the Germans and Japanese never had many of th the WMD capabilities that Saddam had nor did they have have the ballistic missiles and other means to deliver them.

Iraq prior to the start of the war in March 2003 had the worlds 13 largest military, and over 1,000 liters of Anthrax, 500 pounds of Mustard gas, hundreds of pounds of Sarin Gas, over 20,000 Bio/Chem capable shells, unknown number and type of Ballistic Missiles that they had failed to hand over to the United Nations. This is not a hypothetical but a fact!

After the 1991 Gulf War, the criteria for whether there would be renewed military action was conditioned on Saddam's compliance and fullfillment of the requirments stated in the UN resolutions, not simply the invasion of another country or the threat to. After the invasions and attacks on four different countries in the region in the few years earlier as well as the largest use of WMD by any leader in history, to have had less strict requirments or means of enforcement would have been irresponsible. This is the context under which the use of military force against Saddam must be viewed.

We get the criteria, honestly we do. However, the difference in opinion stems from whether Saddam not following the regulations of 1441 constituted an immediate threat that should've been dealt with at the time it was dealt with, or if the problem was not great enough to require a full military occupation.

Some of us believe that there still has to be a proven threat to justify the scale of military force we used in Iraq, resolution or no, and some of us feel that there wasn't enough of an actual threat to put our men and women in harm's way.

Obviously we have very differing opinions on this, so can we just agree to disagree?

Last edited:
My apologies sting...I misread.

I do not count Oaklahoma, that would be homegrown, as opposed to Al-Qaeda.

Back
Top Bottom