MLK Day - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:32 PM
This is only slightly relevant, but I was born on the 10th anniversary of MLK's "I have a dream" speech, and my brother shares a birthday with MLK. I've always thought that was slightly neat.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
This is only slightly relevant, but I was born on the 10th anniversary of MLK's "I have a dream" speech, and my brother shares a birthday with MLK. I've always thought that was slightly neat.

that kicks ass!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:16 AM   #18
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami
I touched greatness today...

I noticed a couple stories in the Google news queue this morning about her speaking there, one of which mentioned
Quote:
Yolanda said she chose to come to Virginia Tech because of the extensive celebrations set for the holiday.
So, sounds you like guys don't need any outside help with ideas! What else do you have planned there for this week? Any events for children or organized service opportunities? It seems like those are often the weak links in a lot of communities' celebrations.

The choral performance we went to last evening was just great; they had readings from King's speeches and letters interspersed with singing (campus gospel choir + local community choir), then at the end they had everyone present join in singing Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing. We brought all three of our kids (our sons pronounced the event waaaay cooler than the film and talk they'd had at synagogue). Our pastor friend's talk yesterday afternoon, which was basically more of an interactive discussion, was very good and the service well-attended, although there was a bit of a problem with an attendee who used the occasion to stand up and go off on a rant about illegal immigrants. I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend the prayer breakfast on campus yesterday morning, as they had a couple rather well-known African dignitaries attending, as well as some kind of ONE campaign tie-in which I'm not entirely clear on the nature of.

Sean, how did the 5K go?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:32 PM
We sure do! We have service activities going on all week, including a food drive and a memorial project for children.

I'm also REALLY excited because Nikki Giovanni is going to speak tomorrow night. I have a girlcrush on her! http://www.ceod.org.vt.edu/mlkmain07

Sounds like the event you attended was loads of fun! Minus the illegal immigrant rant...which, I'm not sure of the context, but from reading your post it seems rather out of place. That must've been cool to see the Gospel Choir performance! I've always wanted to sing in one, but I just haven't had the time. Perhaps when I graduate I will. When I was in Dublin, one of the leaders in the local Gospel choir saw my friends and I at a bar, and approached us asking "which one of you has the beautiful voice?" Apparently, word about me spread (I had some friends in that choir). Anyway, to be complimented by someone whom I really looked up to was really inspiring! One day, I'm gonna do it!