Mixing war and religion? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2003, 02:13 AM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
We have similar fears.

While I support the war I cannot say I support it due to anything this administration has done or presented. I have come to support it because of my own research and reading on the whole situation.

That said, I am of the firm belief that the failing of this administration was on the diplomatic front, not by bringing us to the war, but by failing to get a coalition of the Arab nations behind it. More than not getting the UN Security Council to suppport this, the war is lacking in the support of the nations around Iraq, which really adds to what could be percieved as an "illegitimate war". Ultimately, it may very well be the reason, Iraqi citizens are not rising up to help.

Peace
I'm reminded of a comment someone made here on Dutch television (and I'm paraphrasing here): "The USA has spend a lot of money te develop smart bombs, but it might have been better if they'd also spend money to develop smart diplomats."

But I think this thread is getting a bit off the rail...

C ya!

Marty

Old 03-31-2003, 12:38 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:03 PM
You know, here's how I feel about the war. Saddam has had 12 years to comply with UN resolutions. They have not done so. I believe they have chemical weapons. But believe me, I'm not one of these people that say "I hope they have some, to prove America right". I hope they DON'T have any; that way they can't use them against coalition forces. I also believe Al Qaeda is being bankrolled by Saddam. But, even if there are no chemical weapons and a link is not found between Saddam and Al Qaeda, that doesn't change my view on the war at all. The reason? Because my number 1 reason for supporting this war is because I think Saddam should've been deposed a Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago. He is one of the most eveil and sadistic men that ever lived, and it is morally right to overthrow his regime. Sanctions were not working, assassination attempts wouldn't work because you'd have to successfully kill him and his sons, since they are all chips off the same satanic block. People can talk all day about there being no "viable evidence" of Al Qaeda links and chemical weapons, but one thing people cannot do is deny the horrible atrocities his regime has committed. It's time for him to go, it's time to liberate the oppressed people of Iraq. One thing a lot of foreigners may not know, but that is common knowledge over here and is even talked about in the press, is that Bush sees a lot of things in terms of "Good vs. Evil" (as do I). I believe he is concerned about WMD, but I think "Good vs. Evil" is how he primarily sees this conflict. I think he thought that if he went at it from the WMD angle, it would garner more support. That was a nice effort, but I think he should've just come right out and said "Saddam's evil. He's done this and this and this, etc. and now we think we should take care of him".

Old 03-31-2003, 12:42 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Dreadsox,
I must disagree with you one issue. I think there are 2 reasons Iraqis are not lining up to help:

1)They are afraid of what will happen to them now. They are afraid of getting bullets in the back from their own soldiers before even making it to the Coalition lines.

2)They are afraid of what will happen to them should the Coalition lose (which they won't). As they learned after Gulf War 1, rebels are not treated well.

I think the story of the Iraqi civilians voluntarily feeding the Marines is really a prime example of how the average Iraqi feels about this conflict.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:43 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

However, Dreadsox,
Thanks for the welcome on the other thread. I forgot to reply to that. I think that you and I will generally agree on things, although for different reasons sometimes.
Mike