Misuse of FEMA hurricane debit cards - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Who's lost a debate?
OK, let's call it even...

I win, you lose.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
What's the problem here?

If somebody wastes their money at a strip club, so?

If you see a homeless man on the street and you give him $10 and tell him to go buy himself lunch, and instead he goes and buys a cheap bottle of wine and gets tanked, does that negate the fact you did the right thing by helping him out?

People spend money on all kinds of nonsense all the time. And if they had no money for food at the end of the day because they spent it on Hooters, well that's their problem.
I no longer give the homeless the money. I give the money to the food pantry and help cook the meals. If they wish to eat, they can come to where the food is, so I can see with my own eyes that they are eating.

Personally, I have never wasted money in a strip club. I am very judicious about how the money is spent.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Fuck Spelling!

Oh, shit....I am sorry if I offended someone. My bad.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 10:41 AM
(without reading the other replies)

What exactly IS a debit card? Is that a card where instead of charging the customer they charge the service provider? What's the difference between this and a credit card?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

What exactly IS a debit card? Is that a card where instead of charging the customer they charge the service provider? What's the difference between this and a credit card?
A debit card is one with which you pay now from what is in your bank account. So I would imagine the govt put a certain amount on the cards, obviously no attention was paid to what people were using it on. I can't really fault people who have been through such a tragedy finding pleasure and comfort in whatever way they can, on the other hand I could see much better uses for it that would improve their lives long term and not just momentarily. But I put myself in their shoes and it's never cut and dry. I bet I would be seeking temporary escapes from the pain because the past would still haunt me and the future would be very daunting.

Of course there's always the issue of others needing that money for far more important things who didn't get it.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
No it just proves a last minute, without a plan, wanting to cover up for their fucking up will do for you...
I'd say it is the unfortunate response to partisian political criticism that the existing plan "is not enough".

We must live is a world with few problems when we can expect a debit card just for living through a hurricane.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I no longer give the homeless the money. I give the money to the food pantry and help cook the meals. If they wish to eat, they can come to where the food is, so I can see with my own eyes that they are eating.

i think this is a good policy.

i don't hand out money, but i've given people my left-overs when i've left a restaurant (and many have gladly accepted). i've also been harassed for money while in line at Chipotle by a guy who said he was hungry, so i offered to buy him a burrito, and he declined, saying that what he really wanted was Chinese food and could he just have the money i would have spent on his burrito and he'd go across the street at get Chinese?

anyway, as for the Katrina victims -- i basically agree with the Canadians in here. i'm not terribly upset, i just think it's a bummer, though inevitable, especially when incompetent cronies are placed in charge of FEMA.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

We must live is a world with few problems when we can expect a debit card just for living through a hurricane.
Well I'd say that we'd live in a cruel, sad world if we didn't offer people at least a debit card, especially when their own governments(state, local, and federal) failed them so miserably before, during, and after the hurricane. It's easy to sit in comfort and make statements and judgments when we have never had to live through a hurricane like Katrina, when we are not too poor to evacuate-and so on, and so on.

Like Anderson Cooper says in his book, hope is not a plan-and the governments failed those people because they basically used hope as a plan. Well that was one reason among many.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

i find it interesting that some find this situation more upsetting than the inability to evacuate the city.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Or that we still allow hurricanes to reach our shores...
Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Or that Bush stymies so many attempts to do something about global warming (and doesn't seem at all concerned with it), and appoints hacks who have vested and corporate interests to environmental positions. I watched Al Gore the other night on Larry King, it was a real eye opener. I want to see that movie and read the book.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

or that we put idiot incompetent cronies in positions of repsonsibility who have no clue how to effectively manage a response when hurricanes do hit our shores (which happen 5-10 times a year).
Old 06-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Fuck Spelling!

Oh, shit....I am sorry if I offended someone. My bad.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:39 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Or that Bush stymies so many attempts to do something about global warming (and doesn't seem at all concerned with it), and appoints hacks who have vested and corporate interests to environmental positions. I watched Al Gore the other night on Larry King, it was a real eye opener. I want to see that movie and read the book.
If anything, I hope Gore's movie opens the door to honest debate on the topic. The lack of honest debate is the real inconvenient truth on that subject.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

If anything, I hope Gore's movie opens the door to honest debate on the topic. The lack of honest debate is the real inconvenient truth on that subject.

you're right -- i do wish oil companies and the GOP would stop paying "scientists" to dispute widely agreed upon science.