Mississippi wants you to slim down, or else not eat at all - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Combine that with the (related) declines in cooking skills and exercise--people aren't working in the fields anymore, they're sitting at a conveyor belt packaging catfish for export to other regions since the locals can no longer afford it--and you have a pretty good portrait of an unhealthy lifestyle.

this really strikes me as a goodly portion of the problem, especially whenever Memphis talks about his family, and how his grandparents lived. they were farmers. every morning they'd get up, grandpa would go to the fields, and grandma would go to the kitchen. she would proceed to bake 300 biscuits, put them in a large sack, and then haul them up to the field. the men would eat. then go back to work. she'd go back to the kitchen. then she'd prepare a lunch. which she'd bring back up to the field. the men would have lunch. she'd go back to the kitchen and prepare dinner which would be eaten at the dinner table since work stopped when it got dark out. dinner would be fried chicken, probably, potatoes, cornbread, stuff like that. it's all delicious, and deadly, but those are calories you burn when your life is spent outside.

i've seen tons of old family movies taken in the 60s and 70s, and *no one* is overweight in those videos. flash forward to present day. i've been to his family reuinion, and i'd say well over half the people there are overweight with a good third of them obese. the food hasn't changed at all. but the lifestyle -- working at the bank, at a store, at FedEx -- certainly has.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by achtung_girl

Have you seen Harald Schmidt yesterday?
No, don't have a TV, but I will look if I find it online. Thank you.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

MS should instead do what VA is doing for state employees, pay us to join weight watchers!

for the record: i didn't take the incentive, but i've got a badass health counselor.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i've seen tons of old family movies taken in the 60s and 70s, and *no one* is overweight in those videos. flash forward to present day. i've been to his family reuinion, and i'd say well over half the people there are overweight with a good third of them obese. the food hasn't changed at all. but the lifestyle -- working at the bank, at a store, at FedEx
Exactly, but that is precisely the point. In order to live healthy these days, you have to overhaul your entire lifestyle. You have to think about every piece of food you put in your mouth, you have to think about your activity level, you have to think about what you can substitute so that you aren't eating high-calorie foods, you have to expand your horizons to foods that you or your family hadn't necessarily been eating, but are great for you, and so on.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

That's why I miss college, lol. I was too poor to eat too much and even if I did it didn't matter because I spent 2/3 of my waking hours walking (mostly to/from work and school, but also for my job while I was working). Now, it really has become something that I have to schedule in b/c my job requires me at my desk allllll day every day. During school it was go-go-go 5 days a week and then rest or do book work on the weekends; now it's sit-sit-sit for 5 days and then force self to get off ass all weekend. Everyone should have lots of dogs! They are great motivators for getting out and being active I was in Chicago this past weekend and I realized how much I actually miss having no choice but to walk everywhere.

OK, time for my hour on the elliptical...
Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:35 PM
Ah college.

My dinner tonight is Poptart splitz, half blueberry half strawberry
Old 02-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

My dinner tonight is Poptart splitz, half blueberry half strawberry
I don't even want to imagine what that is.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

One thing when I'm in the US to get those poptarts and root beer.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.amazon.com/Kelloggs-Pop-T.../dp/B000PG8BQE

Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

How many of those do you have to eat to actually make a dinner?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

For the average person I don't know, but it doesn't take much to fill me up and I wasn't very hungry in the first place tonight so 2.

They shouldn't make a dinner, but they're what I have
Old 02-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Well the good news is you've only had 410 cals.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I think I'll probably have an orange to get something healthy in me.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:13 AM   #29
Forum Moderator

^ That's not the way to get over a flu quickly, young lady...
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
this really strikes me as a goodly portion of the problem, especially whenever Memphis talks about his family, and how his grandparents lived. they were farmers. every morning they'd get up, grandpa would go to the fields, and grandma would go to the kitchen. she would proceed to bake 300 biscuits, put them in a large sack, and then haul them up to the field. the men would eat. then go back to work. she'd go back to the kitchen. then she'd prepare a lunch. which she'd bring back up to the field. the men would have lunch. she'd go back to the kitchen and prepare dinner which would be eaten at the dinner table since work stopped when it got dark out. dinner would be fried chicken, probably, potatoes, cornbread, stuff like that. it's all delicious, and deadly, but those are calories you burn when your life is spent outside.

i've seen tons of old family movies taken in the 60s and 70s, and *no one* is overweight in those videos. flash forward to present day. i've been to his family reuinion, and i'd say well over half the people there are overweight with a good third of them obese. the food hasn't changed at all. but the lifestyle -- working at the bank, at a store, at FedEx -- certainly has.
300?!? Were they sharecroppers, or was this just a really huge family farm?

A friend of mine from Itta Bena who still lives in the area is now a nurse-dietician (I think that's her title) and she hears these kinds of stories all the time. But older people do also bemoan to her how much fewer vegetables everyone eats nowadays, and how much more junk food (i.e. what in the 'old days' would've been Sunday-only treats--cookies, soda, doughnuts, candy etc.). So I do think the nutritional balance of a lot of folks' diets is also worse in ways that go beyond just excessive calories--fewer nutrients, higher proportions of saturated fat and sugar, and lots of refined carbohydrates that send your insulin soaring and make you even hungrier. She says that especially with poorer clients, it's very difficult to get them to make effective dietary changes--partly because of poor access to the kinds of foods she'd ideally like to see them eat more of, partly because they're not accustomed to following written recipes which is often a helpful tool with other clients, and partly because they tend to live in communities where no one else cares much about fitness, so there's little positive reinforcement.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:35 AM
I don't think the State will be able to do this

but the estate can

Quote:
Estate planning lawyer Jon Gallo says about a quarter of his clients have asked him about incentive plans. He says sometimes getting money is contingent on a college degree, marrying a person of a particular faith, earning a certain amount of money -- and it gets a lot weirder:

Jon Gallo: I'm aware of one incentive trust in which the beneficiary's weight was taken into consideration. If she weighed more than a specified amount, the income from the trust would be cut back, because her father was always concerned that she was going to be obese.

Seriously? Is that even legal?
yes.