Minnesota to repeal amendment in human rights act that protects homosexuals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Minneapolis, MN
Thursday, February 6, 2003

ACT NOW

THIS JUST IN ? The Minnesota House of Representatives today introduced a
bill (HF 341) to repeal the state human rights amendment, which protects
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) people from discrimination
in employment, housing, education, public accommodations and other
areas. In addition, it would remove sexual orientation as a protected
class in the hate crimes laws.

If approved, Minnesota would become the first state ever to extend, and
then rescind, protections against discrimination on the basis of sexual
orientation and gender identity. Our current Governor, Tim Pawlenty,
while majority leader of the House, has said, ?My vote in 1993 in favor
of the gay rights amendment is one I would take back.? - Politics in
Minnesota, Nov. 29, 2001.

The most basic rights GLBT people currently enjoy are threatened and the
prospect of making gains in the struggle for GLBT equality in Minnesota
is now more difficult than it has been in years.

In a recent Star Tribune article, the Minnesota Family Council stated
that they feel that the new political landscape offers unprecedented
hope for its agenda. Over the next two years, the Minnesota Family
Council is working to:

? Repeal the Human Rights Amendment that protects GLBT people from
discrimination in schools, public accommodations and housing.
Happening now!

? Eliminate health care benefits and sick and bereavement leave from
the same-sex partners of state employees. Happening now!

? Ban the promotion of homosexuality in schools and mandate abstinence
only until marriage sex education.

? Give preference to married couples for adoption and foster care
placement.

WHAT YOU CAN DO?

Today ? Call your elected representative and senator to let them know
that you oppose this bill. Ask them to vote against any attacks against
the GLBT Community. Tell them why it is important to you that the Human
Rights Statute and the Hate Crimes provisions remain intact. To find out
contact info for your legislators and for additional links to the
Minnesota Legislature, go to the OutFront Minnesota website at
www.outfront.org <http://www.outfront.org/> .

TOMORROW AND EVERY DAY AFTERWARDS ? Check your email for updates from
OutFront Minnesota.* Forward this and other Action Alerts to your
family and friends. Write a letter to the editor of your local
newspaper. Ask your friends and family members to call their
legislators. Thank the legislators who are helpful allies. Get angry
and get active. Make a lot of noise about this. Remember that this
fight is not over. We are a powerful community who has come out for our
rights and will always fight for them.

LATER - Be a leader in the fight for justice by attending GLBT Lobby
Day. Tell your friends and families to attend Lobby Day ? let?s show our
legislators that Minnesotans demand GLBT equality. If you only have one
hour on GLBT Lobby Day ? attend the 1:00 rally in the rotunda ? there
truly is power in numbers! And lastly, those who cannot make it should
call, write or email their legislators on GLBT Lobby Day in support of
GLBT civil rights.

WHAT GLBT Lobby Day

WHERE Minnesota State Capitol

WHEN Thursday, March 6 from 12:00-4:30.

12:00 - Reception with Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and
Gays (PFLAG) in the Great Hall of the State Capitol

12:30 ? Legislative Briefing with OutFront Minnesota in the Great Hall

1:00 ? Rally for GLBT Equality and Justice in the State Capitol Rotunda

2:30-4:30 ? Individual Meetings with Legislators

5:00 ? Celebration (location TBA)

WHO Hundreds of GLBT and Allies from across Minnesota gathering
together in support of GLBT rights

REGISTRATION All GLBT Lobby Day events are free and open to the
public. Please register online at www.outfront.org
<http://www.outfront.org/> or call 612.822.0127x 617 or 800.800.0350 x

:mad:

I remember why I hate any group that has the word "Family" in it. Substitute that word for "Hate" and that's what you really have.

Melon

:down:

Can anyone tell me how exactly homosexuality is "promoted" in schools, anywhere? :scratch:

I admit, I agree w/ promoting (not "mandating" as they put it) abstinence re avoiding AIDS and STD'S (because sadly too many young people will still have unprotected sex), and for the emotional health of teenagers. That's just my personal opinion. The rest of what they're talking about is offensive to me.

They also want to rewrite World War II history, removing mentions of homosexuals as a persecuted group under Nazism.

Bigotry anyone?

Melon

melon said:
I remember why I hate any group that has the word "Family" in it. Substitute that word for "Hate" and that's what you really have.

Melon

Puh, really, no kidding.

I am so ashamed of Minnesota. Why in the world are they talking about doing that?

It may be the 21st century, but, boy, do we still have a ways to go in our thinking...:tsk:...

Angela

melon said:
They also want to rewrite World War II history, removing mentions of homosexuals as a persecuted group under Nazism.

Bigotry anyone?

Melon

are you serious?

the thing that makes it so odd is that it was one of the first states to promote that part of the human rights act in the first place.

AND

tim pawlenty never made mention of anything like this when he was running....how truly odd.

lilly, you did not notice his name had an R next to it.

Well, so far it has just been introduced in the Republican controlled house. Hopefully it won't get to the Democrat controlled senate.

I guess this is just more of that compassionate conservatism.

Good ol' traditional values.

sweet dee'

don't be thinking i voted for tim pawlenty. my vote was definately for independent tim penny.

goodness knows he wouldn't have pulled this. :mad:

Re: lilly, you did not notice his name had an R next to it.

Melon, about the rewriting WWII thing-you're kidding...

Unbelievable.

deep said:
Well, so far it has just been introduced in the Republican controlled house. Hopefully it won't get to the Democrat controlled senate.

That'd be nice.

Originally posted by deep
I guess this is just more of that compassionate conservatism.

"Compassionate conservatism"-seems more and more like an oxymoron every day when you hear about stuff like this, doesn't it?

Originally posted by deep
Good ol' traditional values.

*Snort*

So their idea of "traditional values" is discriminating against homosexuals simply because they're different.

I feel sorry for the children of any of the people who want to repeal that amendment-what a great lesson those people are sending to their children. :rolleyes:.

Angela

Minnesota Gay Rights Face Repeal
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

February 8, 2003
12:02 a.m. ET/+5GMT/-3PT

(St. Paul, Minnesota) Civil rights protections for gays and lesbians in Minnesota are under attack. A bill to remove sexuality from Minnesota's human rights law has been introduced in the state legislature, and proponents say some form of repeal stands a better chance of passage than at any time since discrimination based on sexual orientation was added to the law in 1993.

Rep. Arlon Lindner, R-Corcoran, the bill's chief author, said the human rights code is discriminating against Christian conservatives and others who consider "homosexuality a violation of God's law."

"I know a lady who was fired from her job because she disagreed with homosexual activities in her school," said Lindner.

The law is "being used as a pretext to promote homosexuality in the schools, and there are lawsuits being filed against religious organizations whose beliefs conflict with hiring homosexuals," said Tom Prichard, president of the Minnesota Family Council which is pressing legislators to pass the bill.

With a new conservative legislature, the bill stands a good chance of passage in the House, but its future in the state Senate is less certain.

The bill drew a harsh response from the Senate's only openly gay member, Scott Dibble, DFL-Minneapolis.

"Extremists in the Republican Party are overplaying their hand," he said. "Once people find out that in the proud tradition of Trent Lott they are trying to divide Minnesotans, this absolutely will backfire."

Dibble said he found it particularly offensive that the bill would remove sexual orientation as a classification in the human-rights law's definition of Holocaust survivors and victims.

"It is a disgrace to the enduring legacy of Minnesota as a leader in civil and human rights that such an incredibly mean-spirited piece of legislation would even see the light of day," said OutFront Minnesota Executive Director Ann M. DeGroot.

"When legislators stoop to endorsing Nazi persecution of gay people, you know the motivation is one of deep-seated prejudice," DeGroot said.

"The scope of the bill is alarming and would make gay, lesbian bisexual and transgender people second-class citizens in a state where they now enjoy strong civil rights protections," said Human Rights Campaign National Field Director Seth Kilbourn."

-----------------------

Okay, now that I reread this, some people may think I exaggerated. I apologize if that is the case. I'm angered that this is even an issue in 2003. :|

It's always the same old bullshit. Religious organizations are always exempt from these laws, but they always pretend that they aren't, so they can cry "Christian discrimination" and legislate their intolerance.

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:
Rep. Arlon Lindner, R-Corcoran, the bill's chief author, said the human rights code is discriminating against Christian conservatives and others who consider "homosexuality a violation of God's law."

does separation of church and state apply to all states?

:ragefilledsarcasm:

You know, I think of it this way. Certainly, people are free to hate whomever they like in this nation, whether it be homosexuals or racial minorities; but never would it be considered acceptable to sponsor legislation to codify these prejudices into law. A lot of these arguments against homosexuals today were once used against black people in the first part of the twentieth century to justify segregation and whatnot, and it is disgusting. Unfortunately, I almost think it is going to be the same way--we'll have to wait fifty or more years until all the bigots die, and then we'll realize how ridiculous all these arguments really were.

These "Family" organizations, to me, are no different than the KKK or the Aryan Nation, who are obsessed with "preserving" the white race. Instead, they are obsessed with "preserving" Christianity (and it is amusing that with these racist groups, they consider themselves devout Christians as well in many cases); but who asked them to?

I also find it repugnant that religions--the supposed purveyors of love and decency--are the groups that are always immune to anti-discrimination laws. Isn't that sick when you think about it?

Melon

melon said:
These "Family" organizations, to me, are no different than the KKK or the Aryan Nation, who are obsessed with "preserving" the white race. Instead, they are obsessed with "preserving" Christianity (and it is amusing that with these racist groups, they consider themselves devout Christians as well in many cases); but who asked them to?

I also find it repugnant that religions--the supposed purveyors of love and decency--are the groups that are always immune to anti-discrimination laws. Isn't that sick when you think about it?

Melon

Exactly!

See, it's religious people like these that Melon described that bug me. This is what I don't like about religion, right here.

Angela

Don't balme religion blame the idiots who use religion fo their own purposes. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of organized religion, being a child of the clergy means I know too much to ever see organized religion as hideously flawed. But lets keep in mind any religion is only as good as the people in it.

That said these actions are beyond digusting. Weather you consider homosexual sex a sin or not there's certainly nothing in the Christian faith that can be remotely considered as saying "Thou shalt hate and oppress gays." Such behaviour is fundamnetally un-Christian and a disgrace and violation of everything I believe in.

Blacksword said:
Don't balme religion blame the idiots who use religion fo their own purposes. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of organized religion, being a child of the clergy means I know too much to ever see organized religion as hideously flawed. But lets keep in mind any religion is only as good as the people in it.

Yeah, that's true.

It isn't the religion I hate, it's the way some of the people in a religion act, that's my problem.

And that goes for anyone from any religion, whether you're Christian or Muslim or Buddhist or whatever-religious extremists from any religion are just not cool.

Originally posted by Blacksword
That said these actions are beyond digusting. Weather you consider homosexual sex a sin or not there's certainly nothing in the Christian faith that can be remotely considered as saying "Thou shalt hate and oppress gays." Such behaviour is fundamnetally un-Christian and a disgrace and violation of everything I believe in.

Exactly.

Maybe I'm missing something-I swear, I will never understand what the "sin" is that homosexuals are committing. What is so "sinful" about homosexuality? I...don't...get it. I just don't.

Bono said this at a church during his tour of the heartland-he said that he never understood this hierarchy to sin, never understood how "sexual immorality" is higher up on the scale of sin than things like the church screwing around with people's money (that wasn't his exact quote, but you get the idea).

Perhaps he should've stopped in Minnesota and said that to those people up there.

Angela

That is intriguing...considering that Minnesota has always been one of the most liberal states around. :huh:

arw9797 said:

me too!!!! And it's a damn shame he lost.

and lilly,

Do you think the Democrat was worse than this guy?

Jesse V. was a fluke - 3rd parties rarely win.

here are the results:
Republican TIM PAWLENTY AND CAROL MOLNAU 999473 ????????44.37

Democratic-Farmer-Labor ROGER D. MOE AND JULIE SABO 821268 ???..36.46

Independence TIMOTHY J. (TIM) PENNY AND MARTHA R. ROBERTSON 364534 ??????16.18

Green KEN PENTEL AND RHODA GILMAN 50589 ?????????..2.25
by voting independent the Republican usually wins, Rep. are less likely to vote independent.
My Republican friends all credit Nader candidacy for positioning W to be selected as President.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Bono said this at a church during his tour of the heartland-he said that he never understood this hierarchy to sin, never understood how "sexual immorality" is higher up on the scale of sin than things like the church screwing around with people's money (that wasn't his exact quote, but you get the idea).

People tend to resort to a hierarchy of sin in an effort to point out other people's sin. I've heard people decry homosexuality, then try and justify sexual sins of their own.

deep said:

Jesse V. was a fluke - 3rd parties rarely win.

Jesse Ventura won for this reason only: most of the people in this state that voted for him thought it would be "cool" to have a "celebrity" be governor. I can't tell you how many people I knew at the time that were between the ages of 18-24 that had never voted, didn't plan on voting, didn't think about voting until Jesse the Body's name was on that ballot. Jesse's 3rd party had little to do with him winning. He wanted to "shock the world" and he did by winning.

I did not vote for him but I do not think he did a bad job. I think the media hounded him because of who he used to be so he ran his mouth a little more than he should have. If his name would have been on the ballot this time around I would have voted for him because I didn't think he was such a bad governor.

deep said:
here are the results:
by voting independent the Republican usually wins, Rep. are less likely to vote independent.
My Republican friends all credit Nader candidacy for positioning W to be selected as President.

It's very true, and people who think that Nader didn't derail Gore are delusional. But don't think I'm being some whiny liberal. The same happened to Republican candidates during the 1992 and 1996 Presidential elections with the candidacy of H. Ross Perot, although it is debatable if all the Perot voters would have voted Republican anyway. However, it definitely assured Clinton very comfortable victories in both elections.

Melon

nbcrusader said:

People tend to resort to a hierarchy of sin in an effort to point out other people's sin. I've heard people decry homosexuality, then try and justify sexual sins of their own.

I think my favorite is divorce. This is one of the few sins explicitly condemned in the Gospels repeatedly by Jesus, but where is all the Christian right activism to re-criminalize divorce? Why aren't divorcees discriminated against at work? Because they certainly are stepping in my right as a Christian individual to look down upon them...

...that's precisely the logic behind this shit in Minnesota.

Melon

I just realized my previous post had a rather bad typo in it it should read: "Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of organized religion, being a child of the clergy means I know too much to ever see organized religion as anything but hideously flawed."

Anyhow I too have a definite problem with this BS notion of heirarchy of sin. Even if there was one it would have to have opressing the poor sick and outcast as right at the top given that Christ's main message was about caring for these people. And gee suprise suprise what are those who bash gays most guilty of high up in their fancy middle, upper middle and upper class homes most guilty of. And how's about those right wing politicians who bash gays and then go off and commit adultry all over the place. Way to show the whole stance on homosexuality up for what it is: overcompensation for all your other sins. Honestly it's the easiest way to seem righteous to the religious right.

Definitely have to go with Melon on his statement about persecuting gays while not persecuting other sins which get one heck of a lot more air time in the Bible than homosexuality. Should we go out and stone adulter's again, whoops we were told not to judge and with that example too.

I can give my own personal interpretation of why I think homosexual sex is a sin. I can't speak for others though. It has a lot to do with my personal views on sexuality as a whole, so if i do get into it, it will be rather long.

Blacksword said:
I can give my own personal interpretation of why I think homosexual sex is a sin. I can't speak for others though. It has a lot to do with my personal views on sexuality as a whole, so if i do get into it, it will be rather long.

Actually, I'd rather you didn't, because then I'll have to go into some prolonged debating, and I'm too exhausted to do it. :p

Anyhow, there is some interesting stuff on this subject from back in the Achtung Bubba era in this forum, so do a search on it, but please don't bump it forward with a reply. :huh:

Take care...

Melon

I thought I'd check since I know how contentious this issue is. Casuing a firestorm is not conducive to having and open discussion and would detract from the original subject of this post.
Angela if you'd like to hear my reasons I can give you my ICQ or my MSN, as I don't have private messaging here.

Back
Top Bottom