Mike Signorile's Open Letter to Mary Cheney - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #1
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Mike Signorile's Open Letter to Mary Cheney

Mike Signorile is a gay columnist and radio-show host who has written a scathing column about Mary Cheney, Dick Cheney's openly lesbian daughter who was, until recently, a leading Republican gay rights activist. You can read the column here:

http://www.nypress.com/print.cfm?content_id=9501

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:09 PM
I got news for ya Mike, Mary is entitled to hold what ever views she wants regardless of her family and background. I think Mike should find more relevant things to discuss than attempting to trash a single individual.

Old 01-24-2004, 02:15 PM   #3
The Fly

that tone is close to criminal

The tone of Mike's letter was borderline criminal. To say "we're coming for you" and to disparage the family member of a Vice President isn't a smart thing to do. Mike also went on to say to the daughter of the Vice President, "Mary, blood will be on your hands". It's safe to say that the Secret Service and FBI are onto this guy right now, and with the advent of the Patriot Act, anyone who threatens family members of elected officials can be fully investigated and wire-tapped, as they should be. I hope FBI special agents have wire-tapped his phone-lines and bugged his cars, this guy needs to be taught a lesson that you can't go around and say such things to family of elected officials. Thank god for the FBI, the most powerful branch of the Department of Justice, they don't fool around when it comes to people like this Mike character.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
I understand some of what Signorile is saying, but this crosses over to defining what "right-thinking lesbians" should say and do.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Are these not valid points and questions?

Quote:
It would be one thing if you had simply slithered away into the background when it was announced that your father would be Bush’s running mate in 2000. (People can’t, after all, pick their parents, as Patti Davis and Ron Reagan Jr. are painfully aware.) Instead, you became active in the Bush/Cheney campaign. As the lesbian poster child, you helped sell the snake oil of "compassionate conservatism." You went along with the program, tricking people into thinking that your father and W. would be tolerant on gay rights. Your father even said during the campaign that the whole issue of gay unions should be left to the states (though he told the Denver Post last week that he would now support an amendment to the Constitution that could very well strip gays of most legal rights, from domestic partnership benefits to adoption rights). As one of Dad’s political advisors, you helped bring in votes from moderate straights and gay Republicans.
Quote:
The 25 percent of gay voters who cast a vote for Bush/Cheney—not to mention the moderates of all sexual orientations—would have made the difference in Florida and New Hampshire (as gays made up at least four percent of the electorate in both states), giving the election to Al Gore. I hear from the voters you misled every day via my website and radio program—gay Republicans and others who are infuriated with the president, with your father and with you, Mary.
Quote:
And now you’ve joined the re-election campaign, just in time to hear the president and your father say that they would support a federal marriage amendment.

What is it like, I often wonder, to have your own father court the very religious zealots who believe your kind are emotionally disturbed child molesters? What does it feel like to have your own father empower people who, if they could have their way, would force you to go through "conversion therapy"? What is it like to know that your own family takes cash from people who think you’d be better off dead, and think you’re going straight to hell when that happens?

Those who defend you say that you must feel absolutely terrible. They surmise that maybe you actually left RUC in protest, realizing that change in the party wasn’t possible, thus washing your hands of the entire matter. For that reason, they say, you shouldn’t now be blamed for trying, nor held accountable for your father’s positions. But the fact that you went to work for the re-election campaign says otherwise.

So here’s my theory, and maybe you can confirm it for me: The gay marriage issue is splitting the Republican Party; Dad and his crowd have told you that they’ve got to appear to be supportive of a constitutional amendment at this point, while they’re still firing up the religious right base. Once they have that constituency nailed down and they enter the general election, they’ll move toward the middle; they’ll say that there’s no need for the amendment, as the Defense of Marriage Act takes care of it. You’ll then be hauled back out of the closet to help snatch those moderate and gay Republican voters.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Yes, those are valid points. To be gay and vote for Bush seems a little bit like self-hatred to me.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Re: that tone is close to criminal

Quote:
Originally posted by U2LipstickBoy
The tone of Mike's letter was borderline criminal.
It's really not much different than the tone of what you write in this forum, is it not?

Melon
Old 01-24-2004, 03:00 PM   #8
The Fly

Mary Cheney is a fine American patriot

I'm not sure Melon, why don't you provide us with some sources and evidence. You're going to have to try a little bit harder than that Melon, put in a bit more effort.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Mary Cheney is a fine American patriot

Quote:
I'm not sure Melon, why don't you provide us with some sources and evidence. You're going to have to try a little bit harder than that Melon, put in a bit more effort.
There are many fine posters who have posted plenty of evidence of your blatant contradictions in other threads, including myself in a John Kerry thread here. The only reason why I think you're still here is because you are probably a moderator / admin troll. Oh well...if that's the case, I'll probably never find out.

Until then, I guess, people will just have to continue adding you to their "Ignore" lists.

Melon
Old 01-24-2004, 03:06 PM   #10
The Fly

hmmm

hmmm... no sources or evidence. Sorry melon, try again
Old 01-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Yes, those are valid points. To be gay and vote for Bush seems a little bit like self-hatred to me.
The Log Cabin Republicans, however, I will give some credit to. They have not merely sat back and supported Bush, in spite of this hate-motivated campaign.

I have no problem with Republicans. What I do have problems with is the extreme right GOP leadership and moderate Republicans who sit back and do nothing, while the Bush Administration actions continue to erode away any semblence of centrism that the GOP supposedly has. McCain is the biggest hypocrite of them all, having recently been in a voter drive to get people to vote for Bush in the general election. That's why the only good Republican is a defeated Republican, no matter how "moderate" they may be.

Melon
Old 01-24-2004, 03:17 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: hmmm

Quote:
hmmm... no sources or evidence. Sorry melon, try again
I have nothing to prove to you.

Melon
Old 01-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

McCain is the biggest hypocrite of them all, having recently been in a voter drive to get people to vote for Bush in the general election.
I am VERY disappointed to see him on TV and in NH campaining for the President.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:24 PM   #14
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Why dont we stick to the subject at hand, instead of trying to get a rise out of each other eh?
Old 01-24-2004, 03:37 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

McCain campaigned for Bush in 2000 and I see nothing wrong with him campaigning for Bush in 2004. McCain wants Bush re-elected so I can't understand why its wrong for him to campagn for him.