Migraine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard2c

Refugee
Larry King has this program tonight about migraine sufferers.......well I don't get the picture......I've had severe migraines since I was 16........I've been there.....the doctors, the medicines, the ER rooms.....

What is the purpose of the program.......a migraine sufferer knows the illness, has seen all the doctors, has the medicines........

I mean if you get migraines what are you going to learn and if you're not a migraine sufferer why would you watch?

Just not getting it.

Does anyone else get migraines who understands where I'm coming from.

:|

did he just shed light on the causes of migraines and such? if so, it can be beneficial for people who've recently been diagnosed or for people who think they have really bad headaches when they're actually migraines.

you'd be surprised how many people suffer silently with these because they don't know their headaches are migraines.

i was first diagnosed with migraines when i was 12, so they caught mine early on. i probably inherited it from my mom as she gets them as well. just about every article i've read about a famous person with some type of disease found out they had it by reading a magazine article or watching a documentary about it. i'd imagine non-celebrities are like this too. :shrug:

:shrug: A few years ago I started to get migraines for 3-5 days straight whenever I had my period. At first I didn't really know it was a migraine, and I took so much OTC naproxen to try to get rid of them I got bad chest pains. Thank God birth control has pretty much eliminated them! :hug: to anyone who doesn't have a solution for their migraines.

Maybe the show will help people who get them but don't know much about them? I didn't at first and still don't. All I know is mine were hormonal and stay away as long as I remember to take my pill!

KhanadaRhodes said:

you'd be surprised how many people suffer silently with these because they don't know their headaches are migraines.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was getting at. I'd get them for days and I just thought that was normal PMS until I asked around and no one else seemed to get them at that time. They'd be so bad, I'd just lie in bed with my head covered. It would also make me depressed and moody b/c it hurt to even think. I really had no idea it wasn't normal until I went to the Dr. for a checkup, mentioned my PMS symptoms, and got a prescription.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
:shrug: A few years ago I started to get migraines for 3-5 days straight whenever I had my period.
tell me about it!! mine are under control these days and i only get one a month (guess when), but there was a time back in 2002 when i'd get them literally every day. i spent pretty much all of that summer in bed, and occasionally on interference if i felt up to it. there was more to it than that, but my migraines were pretty horrible back then. finally i got put on topamax and it really helped. the number of migraines i'd get per month went down drastically. i was able to stop taking topamax just after a few months. now i just have to take an imitrex if i get one.

it's great to more or less have my life back, and be able to hold down a regular job! it was impossible to stay employed during that period because i'd have to call in sick 3-4 days a week.

It may have been better to focus the program on headaches in general.....there are many kinds of headaches and reasons behind them...up to and including brain tumors and strokes.

Any headache sufferer should see a doctor and with today's headache knowledge would be able to diagnosis the headache type and treatment.

Just a thought.......but it's not my show......if it were it would be presented differently.

And where is Dr. Gupta? {my favorite CNN doctor} :wink:

wizard2c said:
Larry King has this program tonight about migraine sufferers.......well I don't get the picture......I've had severe migraines since I was 16........I've been there.....the doctors, the medicines, the ER rooms.....

What is the purpose of the program.......a migraine sufferer knows the illness, has seen all the doctors, has the medicines........

I mean if you get migraines what are you going to learn and if you're not a migraine sufferer why would you watch?

Just not getting it.

I suffer from SEVERE MIGRANES......

Slurred Speech
Animal Like Sense of Smell
Nausea
Vomiting

On a good month I have one a week.....

On a bad month I can suffer from 10-15 boughts.

Two years ago I went from September through January 4 with only 3 days pain free.

I have a permanent supply of demerol and percocet here for days when the two immitrex do not knowck out the pain.

I also have some type of pill for nausea.....

I have been taken to the ER and put on morphine twice in the last two years.

I started with them in the 3rd grade....I know my triggers and try to avoid them.

I have tried daily beta blockers.....I gave them up because of side effects (I became a Republican) and Topamax cause SEVERE Kidney stones.

Currently they believe it one of the reasons I have had them so bad in the last two years is my sinus cavities are completely full and no longer drain. The swelling in there may be contributing to my condition. I go for surgery in July.

Migranes.....I know them.....

I have been a migraine suffer since I was 13 years old but it was not properly diagnosed until I was 23. I am thankful for my prescribe medication that kills the migraine within mins of one starting. I find it useful to talk to people who are also suffers that way we can bounce information off one another. If I knew Larry King was going to talk about this tonight, I would have tuned in.

My migraine symptoms:

1. Blindness
2. Sensitive to smells
3. Sensitive to sounds

I have to lock myself in a dark, quiet room and if I am in my room, I have to strip my bed of the linen and place a ice pack on my head and pray that it is not a severe one.

Last edited:
I got headaches so much and a couple doctors I saw diagnosed me with migraines :slant:
tylenol, etc. does nothing really. just give me stomachaches.

but I've studied/researched a bit about it because nothing seemed to make my headaches/migraines go away, and so far I've found that the some possibilities are that I have low blood pressure? and that I don't drink enough water. :shrug:

seeing a doctor is the best solution though. but don't go to a doctor who doesn't know what he's saying. one of the doctors I saw claimed that I don't get enough of my vegetables. then he insisted on prescribing me Vitamins.. :eyebrow:

I think he thought I was like 8 or something.. :der:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I have been a migraine suffer since I was 13 years old but it was not properly diagnosed until I was 23. I am thankful for my prescribe medication that kills the migraine within mins of one starting. I find it useful to talk to people who are also suffers that way we can bounce information off one another. If I knew Larry King was going to talk about this tonight, I would have tuned in.

What medicine is it?

wizard2c said:

Unfortunately I can relate :sad: Weather effects me, PMS is hell! I finally had an MRI this year and was diagnosed with migraines. They prescribed me imitrex but I won't take it because the pamphlet of side effects freaked me out because I'm one of those people who is affected by anything in pill form :scream: The only pill I take is fiorecet, seems to help but not much-

The immitrex USUALLY works for me. Unless I go into a severe few day spell.

It is interesting, I can tell if it is going to work within fifteen minutes of taking the first pill.

Re: Re: Migraine

one4u2 said:

Unfortunately I can relate :sad: Weather effects me, PMS is hell! I finally had an MRI this year and was diagnosed with migraines. They prescribed me imitrex but I won't take it because the pamphlet of side effects freaked me out because I'm one of those people who is affected by anything in pill form :scream: The only pill I take is fiorecet, seems to help but not much-

PMS is my downfall. I took Imitrex for awhile - the shots. I hated sticking myself with a needle but it was well worth it to get rid of the migraine. Yes, the side-effects were intimidating, but my quality of life sucked before Imitrex, so it was worth the risk. I couldn't take the pain and vomiting anymore. The only side effect I ever had was tiredness.

Unfortunately, Imitrex stopped working for me. The headache would come back in about 6 hours. I am now on Amerge. It keeps the headache away. Happy days are here again:)

I take the pill form....

and I can always tell you about 6 hours before a storm is coming....and going.....

Dreadsox said:

It is interesting, I can tell if it is going to work within fifteen minutes of taking the first pill.

same here. I haven't had a severe one in several months. Seasonal allergies, my menstrual cycle and if I drink beer typically trigger them.

My Dr had to place me on birth control to help reduce my migraines. It helped for a good amount of time but sometime in the past 2 years my body started to reject the birth control pills.

Last edited:
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Can you take the Imitrex in the shot form? I know several people who take it that way versus the pill.

:hmm: I didn't know there was a shot ! I'll have to ask the Dr...

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

same here. I haven't had a severe one in several months. Seasonal allergies, my menstrual cycle and if I drink beer typically trigger them.

I find I can drink Sam Adams, Guinness, Corona without getting a headache....

Red Wine....forget it.

:lol: My friends think I am a beer snob because I will not drink Bud Light, Budweiser, Miller Light because those beers trigger the migraines. I can drink Sam Adams(the only American beer), Guinness, Newcastle and pretty much any import with no side effects. Thankfully I have not had any reactions to wine.

Last edited:
I wonder what it is in the Bud Light, Budweiser, and Miller light that causes you and I such pain!

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
:)

See this is why I think it is good to talk about Migraines with others. You never know what you will find out.

Absolutely true :up:

And now for cramps......:wink:

My mom used to say she divorced her migraine. :wink:

But, really she did say that her's went away (unless she was under major stress) when she was perscribed a medication (various forms of digitalis) for her heart failure.

And pretty much the only time I had migraines regularly was when my depression was untreated. Once I got treatment for that they dissipated.

I get them, and am not entirely sure what triggers mine. I do know the pill used to have some effect as when I was on it I'd get probably the worst of my life. After I stopped the pill, they halved and then suddenly and mysteriously disappeared after another year or 2. They went for about 18 months-2 years but have returned again. The most ineffectual drug Ive ever had was Cafergot. Now I live on Panadeine Forte and Maxolon. NOthing really works though. Panadeine Forte just knocks you out and Maxolon just stop the vomitting.

Back
Top Bottom