Migraine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox said:
I suffer from SEVERE MIGRANES......
is there a correlation between your migraines and when you read fym :wink:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Can you take the Imitrex in the shot form? I know several people who take it that way versus the pill.
:no: i hate the shots. they make my heart race and i feel like i'm having a heart attack. i had to take them for a while because when i'd take the pills, i'd be really nauseous and uhhh...yeah, the pill didn't help much because it wouldn't be in my system long.

one4u2, i've never experienced any side effects from the pills. the nasal spray works pretty well although with my allergies sometimes it wouldn't work as well as it should because my nose would be so stuffy.

Fellow migraine sufferer checking in...

--extreme pain, usually behind right eye and around the back of right side of head
--extreme sensitivity to light and sound
--nausea and occasional vomiting

I'm on beta blockers, and I also keep Flexeril (for the neck pain I sometimes get with them) and Imitrex on hand. When I get one, about the only hope for me is a totally dark, silent room and a heating pad on my head. I've been known to top off any other medication with 2 Benadryl and just try to go to sleep, regardless of time of day. Sometimes a warm bath helps, too.

KhanadaRhodes said:

one4u2, i've never experienced any side effects from the pills. the nasal spray works pretty well although with my allergies sometimes it wouldn't work as well as it should because my nose would be so stuffy.

:hmm:

I didn't even know that there was gonna be a show on this sort of thing, so I missed out on it. But I'm definitely a migraine sufferer. I get headaches during my time of the month, too, but those aren't migraines, those are just minor little headaches, and for those, I just take an Ibuprofen and that does the trick (also gets rid of the cramps, too, so hey, added bonus :up: :D).

When I do get migraines, I think it's often due to my eating patterns. If there's a day or two where I don't eat as much food as I normally do for whatever reason, or if I've been kind of a light eating schedule (which tends to happen in the summertime-for some reason, I just don't have a big appetite in the summer) and then have a big meal or something, then I get them. My symptoms are nausea (I'm not a motion sickness person, but if I've got a migraine and I'm in a moving vehicle...yeah...that's not a pleasant experience) and sensitivity to light. I cannot have any lights on if I've got a migraine. And if the lights must remain on because someone else is in the room and needs them or something, then I just do my best to face away from them, kinda bury my head in my pillow and that helps a bit.

Basically, the way I cure my migraines is to take some Ibuprofen or Advil or something like that, and then I just take a long nap. And, like, 99% of the time, when I wake up, I'm fine.

Angela

I get migranes. I have since I was... well, at least five, probably before then, and doctors told me I had sinus infections my entire childhood. I was diagnosed with migranes last year. In a good month I get probably 4-6, bad month... a lot. Average, probably like 10. I think usually sinus trouble triggers them. I have...
-Extreme fatigue. Usually all I want to do is sleep.
-Lots of pain, usually on the left side.
-Nausea
-Vomiting. When it's really bad I'll throw up about every 10 minutes for days

I went to a doctor last summer from concerns about holding down a steady job after I graduate, and they put me on Inderol and Relpax. Relpax is like imitrex, but it takes at least an hour for it to work on me. Inderol is actually blood pressure medicine, and it's supposed to prevent them, but I'm not sure if it's really helping. The relpax seems to not be working as well lately, too. If the pill doesn't work I usually just lay semi-reclined in bed with ice on the top of my head. It almost never goes away until the next morning, though. The only time any OTC medicine works for me is if I wake up with one. If I take some excedrin first thing that often works.

I was unaware imitrex comes in a shot form. I might have to look into that, for really bad days.

The insurance at the school I'm going to next year covers neurologist visits 100%, I think I might take advantage of that. The guy I saw here charged me $150/hour.

Pax, I'm suprised the heating pad helps... the neurologist told me migranes are caused by blood vessels in your head being dialated and not returning to normal and to use an ice pack, since a heating pad would only make that worse. Not that I'm saying "don't do that!" If it works, more power to you.

Re: the original post of this thread, I would certainly watch the show. You never know what information you might not have that could help you (like the imitrex shot!).

My wife sufferred Migraines for over 20 years.

A couple of things have helped. One, working with a pain management doctor. The other was visiting a doctor who specializes in bioidentical hormone replacement therapy.

Kristie said:
I get migranes. I have since I was... well, at least five, probably before then, and doctors told me I had sinus infections my entire childhood. I was diagnosed with migranes last year. In a good month I get probably 4-6, bad month... a lot. Average, probably like 10. I think usually sinus trouble triggers them. I have...
-Extreme fatigue. Usually all I want to do is sleep.
-Lots of pain, usually on the left side.
-Nausea
-Vomiting. When it's really bad I'll throw up about every 10 minutes for days

I went to a doctor last summer from concerns about holding down a steady job after I graduate, and they put me on Inderol and Relpax. Relpax is like imitrex, but it takes at least an hour for it to work on me. Inderol is actually blood pressure medicine, and it's supposed to prevent them, but I'm not sure if it's really helping. The relpax seems to not be working as well lately, too. If the pill doesn't work I usually just lay semi-reclined in bed with ice on the top of my head. It almost never goes away until the next morning, though. The only time any OTC medicine works for me is if I wake up with one. If I take some excedrin first thing that often works.

I was unaware imitrex comes in a shot form. I might have to look into that, for really bad days.

The insurance at the school I'm going to next year covers neurologist visits 100%, I think I might take advantage of that. The guy I saw here charged me $150/hour.

Pax, I'm suprised the heating pad helps... the neurologist told me migranes are caused by blood vessels in your head being dialated and not returning to normal and to use an ice pack, since a heating pad would only make that worse. Not that I'm saying "don't do that!" If it works, more power to you.

Re: the original post of this thread, I would certainly watch the show. You never know what information you might not have that could help you (like the imitrex shot!).

I do not like inderol....it affected other aspects of my life.....re:mr. happy.

I agree, I am surprised at teh heating pad thing. Usually I love the winter time because the cold helps me. Also drinking a Large Coffee Coolatta with the Immitrex works well.

One trick that has helped recently is taking a hot shower putting my head under it, then quickly flip the switch to cold, ice cold water and not remove my head. I do this as many times as I can handle it, and for some reason it helps with the pain.

The thought of a heating pad on my head makes me nauseous just thinking about it.

OH, and my neurologist also said have sex......that getting the blood pumping helps.......

I swear I am telling the truth too......

I find the heat works better than the cold for me...although I use aromatherapeutic heating pads, so maybe it's the smell rather than the temperature. :hmm:

They help me go to sleep, if nothing else.

I get migraines, and I don't know why. Usually, I can feel one coming on, and if I take something immediately, I'll be ok. Sometimes I'll lie down for a while and just relax.

For the most part, they aren't severe. I usually don't vomit, and I'm not sensitive to light or anything. They just come and go.

Perhaps I just need more sex...

:wink:

I have suffered from severe migraines since I was a teenager. I am taking a low dose of Elavil, which is an older antidepressant, daily. Apparently they have found that this can help some people. I also take Zomig if I get a migraine in spite of the other medication. Zomig is great because you can take it with a full blown migraine and it usually gets rid of it in 20-30 minutes. I didn't realize they were migraines until I happened to mention the symptoms to my doctor.

I am never surprised in the day when I get one. I wake up and it feels like I am working through quick sand. Usually, and I am not joking, cut myself shaving.....forget to put my belt on....forget my lunch...

it is almost like my brain is not quite functioning.

pax said:
I find the heat works better than the cold for me...although I use aromatherapeutic heating pads, so maybe it's the smell rather than the temperature. :hmm:
hmm, for me cold works best. but not too cold, more like cool. i usually would just shove a pillow on my forehead but then my ex gave me a cool compress once (it's just a towel damp with cool water) and it felt heavenly. but i'm sure the aromatherapy helps, if my nausea isn't too bad sometimes certain smells can help.

i should also mention everyone in my family experienced those side effects with the shots, which i didn't find out until after i took it for the first time. i told my mom i thought i was dying, and she was like "oh that happened to me and your dad too" so it's definitely not something i'll be recommending for my kids! :laugh:

Dreadsox said:

I do not like inderol....it affected other aspects of my life.....re:mr. happy.

I agree, I am surprised at teh heating pad thing. Usually I love the winter time because the cold helps me. Also drinking a Large Coffee Coolatta with the Immitrex works well.

Well, the inderol does lower your blood pressure, so your side effect makes sense. The first few weeks I took it I had to be the lazy archaeologist because I couldn't stand up/squat down too fast or I'd get dizzy.

re: the cold, I find taking a walk on a cold day (the colder and windier the better) helps me. If I'm out long enough it will get rid of the migrane, no matter how bad it is.

Relpax 40mg work for me lately....have to take it as soon as I feel a headache coming on........I also have a pain med as well.......I used to have them so bad I had to go to the ER room and get shots of Demerol or related.

I used to get them for about 3 days with severe vomiting and could do nothing but try to sleep......but they are getting better....so I feel fortunate.....

I know what you other suffers are going thru.

Oh...I was so hoping Dr. Gupta were here to clue us in.......I like his medical reports on CNN.....he's pretty much on the mark. I know there are many new migraine meds out there now...injectable, pill form, nasal spray.....so you just have to work with your Dr to find one that works somewhat for you.

Yes.....chocolate is a no-no for me......instant migraine food.

:|

Back
Top Bottom