Mighty God

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netminder0

The Fly
I want to start by saying that I understand there already exist numerous threads about God, individual beliefs, and truth. However, I feel that this thread will be much more longer than those, and much more detailed than those.

I just want to discuss God ... not so much politics, religion, or anything else.

Also, I hope that whoever chooses to take part in this discussion, will do so in a mature and caring manner. I understand how this topic can be very controversial, and how nearly everyone will in some way disagree in some form or another. Please be kind and considerate at all times.

I was raised in a Christian home ... both of my parents claimed to be Christians. It took me until I was about 15 or 16 to actually be saved. God reached out to me, and I grabbed hold of Him. Since that time I have truly found God, and I have found truth. And I've come to realize that, unfortunately, it isn't a matter of what people believe or don't believe. All that matters is what is the truth, and what we all do about it. I am definitely not trying to rag on anyone's beliefs. However, I believe that there indeed is one God, and that He has made one way to salvation. I'm not talking about religion or trying to attain God's favor, rather instead, having a relationship with God that surpasses everything that exists on this earth.

I think my main idea is just to hear from others their opinions on God ... not so much religion, because religion isn't as important. Who do you guys think God is? Why? What has God done for you? Wouldn't everyone agree that God is the most important topic anyone could ever discuss?

netminder0 said:
Wouldn't everyone agree that God is the most important topic anyone could ever discuss?

no.

how to coexist on this planet is a far more important question.

i'm most concerned with the living, and how to reduce the suffering of those who are living, not as much in the theoretical.

netminder0 said:
having a relationship with God that surpasses everything that exists on this earth.

Isn't having a relationship with your family and loved ones more important than have one with God?

netminder0 said:
Wouldn't everyone agree that God is the most important topic anyone could ever discuss?

Hassan-Nasrallah.jpg

this man agrees with you

1stepcloser said:

Isn't having a relationship with your family and loved ones more important than have one with God?

Why would you say that?

^ Bono looks terrific in that photo.

but i think he would argue that it isn't the question that's important, but how you respond to the question and how the question inspires you to action.

80sU2isBest said:

Why would you say that?

I would say that because surely no relationship should be stronger than that of your relationship with your parents or your brother/sister or wife/husband regardless of how religeous one is.

I myself am not religious at all so perhaps i'm not the best one to comment but it would baffle me beyond belief if someone felt they had a closer relationship with 'God' than with their own mother, for example.

I think here in lies the problem with "discussions" about God:

netminder0 said:
I think my main idea is just to hear from others their opinions on God ...

We claim opinions, yet we speak in self righteousness such as this:

both of my parents claimed to be Christians. It took me until I was about 15 or 16 to actually be saved. God reached out to me, and I grabbed hold of Him. Since that time I have truly found God, and I have found truth. And I've come to realize that, unfortunately, it isn't a matter of what people believe or don't believe. All that matters is what is the truth, and what we all do about it. I am definitely not trying to rag on anyone's beliefs. However, I believe that there indeed is one God, and that He has made one way to salvation.

You can't have a discussion about God with people who are more intent on debating whether others are saved, how they're saved, why they claim they're saved and so on. You just can't.

I can't have a relationship with God since im just a human and know nothing about him. Everyone likes to
pretend like they know who god is but they are just serving there own interest. How can there be a God or
almighty king that is perfect if he does not make it obvious to us how to serve him even jesus only gave us
just a tiny bit of info.

There was a God. Then he blowed up real good in one of them that thar big bang kind of ways and it resulted in the known universe we have, which is, basically God, in perhaps a different form...

...or

...The universe, and every particle in it, can be referred to as God. There are probably infinite ways of interpreting whether this universe has an underlying conscienceness and or causal purpose or just how involved (or not) this God is in our personal lives...

...or

...there may be a God who has a team of junior Gods who are experimenting in their God labs with such things as making and creating these things called universes, and we happen to be existing in one of them...maybe these Gods have noticed us, maybe not...

...or...

...well, you get the point.

Me, i'm perfectly happy with there being no God. But if there is one, great (i just don't feel it). In fact, i'd prefer if there wasn't one. It would feel much more special and unique to me if we were created randomly (if that were possible) than by someone who purposefully created us for his/her own bidding or purpose.

Last edited:
I do believe that God if there is a god is misunderstood.
I think God really is more of a energy or maybe just a
way of saying what is good, I don't know im just trying to come up with stuff i guess.

I have to agree with Irvine and deep and others here. Our relationships with other humans--how we show compassion and attention to them--is much more important to me than any relationship with a god of one sort or another. I think too many people get caught up in what they can do for "god" or what "god" can do for them instead of looking at the here and now. Plus, for a lot of people, god is cemented in with an organized religion, and that dogma-and-pony show has its own issues.

i think it's possible that a good relationship with whatever one chooses to call "God" can help out one's relationships with his/her fellow human beings. however, the God relationship should work for the bettered human relationships, and not vice versa.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think here in lies the problem with "discussions" about God:

We claim opinions, yet we speak in self righteousness such as this:

There's nothing self-righteous about witnessing or giving a personal testimony.

INDY500 said:

There's nothing self-righteous about witnessing or giving a personal testimony.

There's a difference between witnessing and judging if some are Christians or not, i.e. the "claimed" they were Christians. And statements like, "it isn't a matter of what people believe or don't believe. All that matters is what is the truth".

netminder0 said:
I think my main idea is just to hear from others their opinions on God ... not so much religion, because religion isn't as important. Who do you guys think God is? Why? What has God done for you? Wouldn't everyone agree that God is the most important topic anyone could ever discuss?
No, I hardly see why we should waste time on an abstraction like the concept of God when there are some very real problems that demand answers, scientific debate yields truth and fact - theological debate reinforces metaphysical ignorance.

See ... this is partly what I meant by being "mature" in this discussion. I said my parents "claimed" to be Christian, because I don't know if they truly are or not. And some people say that our relationships here and now are the most important thing, however they start in by tearing me and my comments up.
Im just telling you all what I have experienced in my life. And I'm not claiming to be a genius or anything, but it would make sense to me that the possibility of any sort of eternity would hold far more value than anything here and now.
And I really don't care what C.S. Lewis, Billy Graham, or Bono believes. All that matters is each person individually.
And it really is the opposite of what deep said. If you can first love God, then you will be able to love your family, your friends, your neighbors, any strangers, and even those who may hate you.
And I'm not talking about any form of "religion". I'm talking about knowing God personally. And why would I claim to know Him if I really didn't? What benefit would that be to myself?
God has made it obvious to the world who He really is. People just don't seek Him out.

And I never said anything about me not living my beliefs practically. I love many people ... and I don't want to assume, but I wouldn't doubt it if I loved more people than some of you. Not because I'm better or anything, but because God is love. How many could honestly say that they love their enemies? And it isn't that I love all of mine, but I at least try to love them.
I think the problem is that too many people make false assumptions about others, and they really don't know them. Some of you think you know who I am, but you have no idea.

But, I think some of you are right when you say this topic is not going to work. So how about this ...

What do you all think happens when you die? Would you say this is an important question to consider?

Brain function ceases, sentience no longer exists and the universe just goes on as it did before we were born, a spark between infinite stretches of darkness.

Because brain function is dependent on being alive, dependent on oxygen being delivered all over the body so that the cells stay alive, when we are deprived of oxygen to the brain we loose conciousness and may suffer permanent brain damage, there is no reason to believe that when our brains are permanently deprived of oxygen and all the tissue dies that anything remains, there is no shred of conciousness that can possibly survive, a mechanism to produce a concious being or sould that is beyond energy and matter would violate the known laws of physics, given what we know the materialist explanation is the best and it will only be refined as our understanding of neurology improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom