Mighty God - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
Just one question though...
What about the repentant thief next to Jesus on the cross?
When Jesus was speaking to him didn't he say something like "today I shall be with you in paradise" . How does that jive with the "sleep" theory...or are there two different deaths???
That's what I was thinking about, also.

Also, Christ said that if any man come to him, that man will never die. In that case, Christ is obviously talking about the spirit, because we know that the flesh will die. So, Christ is identifying a person as the spirit. That spirit never dies, so the person doesn't either.

Also, the New Testament teaches that eternal life isn't soomething that we will get someday in the future. It is something that we receive the moment we are born again. So, do we receive eternal life when we are born again, then lose it when our body dies physically, then receive it again at the rapture?

Old 08-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 08:31 PM
Question - What about all the millions and millions of people that lived before Jesus, do their souls get judged and goto heaven or hell despite not having known about Jesus and his preachings?

Old 08-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
Question - What about all the millions and millions of people that lived before Jesus, do their souls get judged and goto heaven or hell despite not having known about Jesus and his preachings?
People have been saved by faith prior to Jesus' ministry on earth. Abraham is given as the example in Scripture.

God doesn't give us the case reports for each of the people, but tells us the evidence is there and people do believe based on the evidence.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #64
Refugee

Random Thought :
Can one believe in evolution and be a Christian? If we believe only humans have souls (animals don't have souls > they don't goto heaven) and we believe we very slowly evolved from monkeys over millions of years, at what point on our evolutionary journey from becoming a monkey to transforming to a human does God decide it's time to give us a soul?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
Random Thought :
Can one believe in evolution and be a Christian? If we believe only humans have souls (animals don't have souls > they don't goto heaven) and we believe we very slowly evolved from monkeys over millions of years, at what point on our evolutionary journey from becoming a monkey to transforming to a human does God decide it's time to give us a soul?

hence, creationism.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #66
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

hence, creationism.
I know what creationism is, now answer my soul monkey question!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm jumping in the God discussion. I can't believe I'm this late.

I know some Christians who believe in evolution. Whether you believe in evolution or not isn't a critical belief in your salvation. Besides, they still believe God set things in motion, or they only believe in micro evolution. Some believe in macro evolution though. Luckily, God's not too concerned about our beliefs on the beginnings of the Earth. Christ decided to talk about more important things during his time here.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Evolution is not only the case of the very old, it is ongoing and very important if we want to understand if we are indeed in a mass extinction today.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #69
The Fly

Local Time: 04:01 AM
I agree with coemgen, wasn't Jesus's whole point "do unto another as others as they would do to you," not "the world took seven days to create" ?

edit: I would like to contribute something more useful than "I agree" but I'm not sure how to say what I'm thinking
Old 08-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
I'm jumping in the God discussion. I can't believe I'm this late.

I know some Christians who believe in evolution. Whether you believe in evolution or not isn't a critical belief in your salvation. Besides, they still believe God set things in motion, or they only believe in micro evolution. Some believe in macro evolution though. Luckily, God's not too concerned about our beliefs on the beginnings of the Earth. Christ decided to talk about more important things during his time here.
Do most Christians who are evolutionists believe that Adam and Eve actually existed, or do they think they are "symbolic"?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Do most Christians who are evolutionists believe that Adam and Eve actually existed, or do they think they are "symbolic"?
I can't speak for most, but I believe they are symbolic like everything else in Genesis.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #72
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
Local Time: 10:01 AM
IRVINE 511 IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY WHEN IT COMES TO HOW BONO WOULD PROBABLY RESPOND.
THE ONLY "TRUTH" WE CAN SAY ABOUT GOD IS THAT IT EXISTS AS A CONCEPT IN THE BRAINS OF HUMAN BEINGS. MAY I SUGGEST TO NETMINDER0 A BOOK BY MATHEW ALPER CALLED 'THE GOD PART OF THE BRAIN'...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by JCR
IRVINE 511 IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY WHEN IT COMES TO HOW BONO WOULD PROBABLY RESPOND.
THE ONLY "TRUTH" WE CAN SAY ABOUT GOD IS THAT IT EXISTS AS A CONCEPT IN THE BRAINS OF HUMAN BEINGS. MAY I SUGGEST TO NETMINDER0 A BOOK BY MATHEW ALPER CALLED 'THE GOD PART OF THE BRAIN'...

I'm sorry, but I respectfully have to say this statement couldn't be further from the truth. There are many things we can gather about God from creation and from the Bible, which is his word. Plus, through my relationship with him, I continue to learn about him. Yes, he relates to us each differently by meeting us where we're at as individuals, but there's many ways to understand who he is.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #74
JCR
The Fly

Location: Higley, Arizona (it's a chunk of land in Gilbert AZ)
Local Time: 10:01 AM
P.S. THE ADAM AND EVE STORY CAME FROM THE BABYLONIANS--AN ORAL TRADITION TAKEN AND WRITTEN IN THE HEBREW LANGUAGE, HENCE THE TORAH. AFTER THE INCEPTION OF CHRISTIANITY, THE MONKS HAD THEIR SAY IN THE 'EVOLUTION' OF THE STORY. WOULDN'T IT BE FUN TO TIME TRAVEL AND HEAR WHAT THE BABYLONIANS ORIGINAL STORY WAS? AND DOESN'T IT SUCK THAT PRIMITIVE PEOPLES DECIDED TO MAKE WOMAN THE BAD GUY?
P.S.S. HASN'T ANYONE INVOLVED IN THIS DISCUSSION EVER READ THOMAS PAINE'S 'THE AGE OF REASON'?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

JCR. Welcome to the forum. Just a suggestion, you might try posting without using all CAPS. It tends to make your posts harder to read and comes across as if you are yelling.

Thanks!