Mighty God - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:25 PM
I think God is the most important concern in life, but He's not the only important one. I'm a liberal practicing Roman Catholic. I don't try to convert people. If they want to know more about my faith, I generally refer them to the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) at church, they know more about Christianity than I ever will.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #47
Acrobat

How can God love us if he does not reveal himself to us in a way we can understand? God is suppose to be our father right so would a father never make it clear to his
child what he expects of them?

Old 08-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #48
The Fly

I agree that God is the most important, and that there are also other things that are important too ... such as loving people around us, and being kind. But Jesus said, "'... and you shall be witnesses of Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.'" - Acts 1:8

Jesus calls His followers to tell the world of the good news of Jesus' death for the world.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #49
War Child

the spirit is not the soul.. the spirit is the life force which leaves your body when you die.. and the bible doesn't teach the soul is immortal it states the soul that sins dies.. the soul is actually you the person, in the bible even animals are souls

Jesus himself referred to lazarus as sleeping.. in Ecclesiastes it also say when you die you cannot feel or see or hear anything.. death is the opposte of life which is existence to none existence.
You are conscious of nothing,

The problem is that translating spirit and soul from the original greek and hebrew have got mixed up.. when they mean two entirely different things and also the pagan doctrine stemming from babylonian and greek teaching that the soul lives on after death somehow, which was adapted by Christianity as a biblical teaching which is why its still being taught in churches

Spirit is the life giving force,
when Jesus said father onto you I entrust my spirit he was actually meaning that he knew God would ressurrect him with the that life force.. in other words God had the power to bring him back to life ... which he did

But always in the bible when it talks about souls it is referring to the living person when we die we go back to the dust didn't God say to Adam and eve dust you are and dust you will return.. he never once said their souls would live on

and that life force.. the spirit returns to God who has the power to resurrect us.. in other words we are stored in Gods memory until that time of the great resurrection when he will give us new and better bodies and return that life force(spirit) and we will once more be living souls..

so in fact A_wander is right, when we die we do not go on existing in some floaty form beyond the grave the energy life force leaves us when we die we simply cease to exist and return to dust that is the wages of sin.. death..

its much like pulling a plug on a computer.. no electic ..no computer working

eletricity is not personfied neither is the Gods spirit it is just Gods power source he uses to make things live and which he can use to bring people back to life which he promises to do, Jesus showed he had this power when he walked on earth when he brought people back from the dead..

would there be any point of the resurrection if people died and lived on in some other form which they consider better?

and yet the resurrection was one of his main teachings and the Bible states that death is God's enemy which he is going to do away with.. not some tool for people to pass onto some other form of living...

The truth is when we die we cease to exist until God, who has everyone in his memory can bring us back.. that is why it is referred to as a kind of a sleep, because the wonderful hope for us all is that God can wake us up into existence again
Old 08-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #50
The Fly

And in order for God to bring us back, we all must have a spirit that can be resurrected. This means that there is indeed life after this one, for everyone.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by netminder0
This means that there is indeed life after this one, for everyone.
Well unless you're Mr. # 144,001. Cuz he's shit out of luck.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And in order for God to bring us back, we all must have a spirit that can be resurrected. This means that there is indeed life after this one, for everyone.

and this is why religion works.

because we are scared to die.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #53
The Fly

Are you scared to die? I can say with absolute honesty that I am not scared to die in any way.

Also, Mr. 144,001 does have life beyond this one ... so do you, me, and everyone else.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Are you scared to die? I can say with absolute honesty that I am not scared to die in any way.

of course you're not; you have religion.

see how well it works?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #55
The Fly

I don't have religion ... I have God.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't have religion ... I have God.

well, if you want to get semantical, let me point out that you have a belief in God.

which is like a religion.

and it is this belief that has made you not afraid to die.

and more power to you.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #57
The Fly

And if you put it that way ... everyone has religion. Even the belief that there is no God is a religion.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

fair enough.

hence, i'm a passionate agnostic.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
And if you put it that way ... everyone has religion. Even the belief that there is no God is a religion.
So we DO teach religion in school!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Just one question though...
What about the repentant thief next to Jesus on the cross?
When Jesus was speaking to him didn't he say something like "today I shall be with you in paradise" . How does that jive with the "sleep" theory...or are there two different deaths???