Miers, Roe, SCOTUS, and a world without abortion ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
let's imagine, now, that Miers is confirmed. she joins the court. a few years from now, she and Roberts deliver on Bush's coded promises to "the base" and Roe v. Wade is essentially overturned, and abortion is now illegal in all 50 states except in the case where the life of the mother is in danger.

what are the consequences -- good or bad -- of making abortion illegal? what would this world look like? what would be different, what would be the same, and what would women do with unwanted pregnancies? how would they respond? if you are a woman, imagine yourself pregnant in a country where you cannot have an abortion. what would you do? would you have made different decisions, either before getting pregnant or aftewards?
When it comes to adoption, I'm pro-choice and pro-life. Perhaps in the cases of rape, incest, and maternal issues, maybe the RU-486 pill would be considered a more humane alternative. Just maybe.

Re: Re: Re: Miers, Roe, SCOTUS, and a world without abortion ...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This raises an interesting issue. Does the term "pro-choice" automatically mean that you are for abortion, or does it mean that you are for a choice, and can choose the pro-life position?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Miers, Roe, SCOTUS, and a world without abortion ...

nbcrusader said:

This raises an interesting issue. Does the term "pro-choice" automatically mean that you are for abortion, or does it mean that you are for a choice, and can choose the pro-life position?

option B.

i know many people who would never themselves have an abortion, who would do everything in their power to persuade a woman not to have an abortion, yet would fight to the death to defend a woman's right to decide what does and does not happen with her body.

when you are "pro-choice" you are for the legality of a choice and against a government making that decision for you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Miers, Roe, SCOTUS, and a world without abortion ...

Irvine511 said:

i know many people who would never themselves have an abortion, who would do everything in their power to persuade a woman not to have an abortion, yet would fight to the death to defend a woman's right to decide what does and does not happen with her body.

when you are "pro-choice" you are for the legality of a choice and against a government making that decision for you.

I know many people who would never kill Jews, never persuade any one to kill Jews, yet would defend a countryman's right to decide what does or does not ultimately happen to them. Since it's really none of their business.

In this regard, is there ever a time when we need
saving from ourselves?, when a government internal or external has to come in and say, enough killing of innocent people?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Miers, Roe, SCOTUS, and a world without abortion ...

BorderGirl said:

I know many people who would never kill Jews, never persuade any one to kill Jews, yet would defend a countryman's right to decide what does or does not ultimately happen to them. Since it's really none of their business.

In this regard, is there ever a time when we need
saving from ourselves?, when a government internal or external has to come in and say, enough killing of innocent people?

i find it completely against all logic to remove any and all distinctions between living, breathing human beings and a first trimester fetus.

your metaphor also holds no water. it's so sloppy i don't know where to begin.

sounds like you'd like the government making decisions for you. you're lucky in that you have a government that is doing its best to create a socially conservative nanny state.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Miers, Roe, SCOTUS, and a world without abortion ...

nbcrusader said:
I don't identify myself as "pro-choice" when it comes to abortion, but when it comes to adoption, homeschooling, gun rights, and gambling, I do.

Back
Top Bottom