Middle School Fashion Bullies - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:40 AM
helloooooo uniforms

Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:40 AM
I had enough sports jerseys that I wasn't made fun of.

Well, except for the requisite Kobe LA Lakers one, but I wasn't a gangsta so I didn't feel the need for one.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:40 AM
I'm sorry, I've never been a fan of the idea of uniforms in school. If it isn't clothing that leads kids to getting picked on, it'll be something else. Okay, so we're all dressed the same. Someone can still be picked on because they're a "nerd". Or because they're gay. I had friends in middle school who got made fun of because they were disabled or overweight. You don't really solve anything with uniforms (and besides that, I could go to the mall and get harassed because of what I'm wearing. So what then? No uniforms to stop that problem there).

No, instead of enacting uniforms, what we should do is ask why parents aren't teaching their children not to make fun of kids who can't afford or don't wish to wear the same things their kids wear. Deal with the kids doing the teasing, don't punish everybody because a few kids can't understand that not everyone's able to dress like them or is into dressing like them.

Angela
Old 10-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:40 PM
I don't think uniforms would solve much either. Those kids figure out who is cool and who is not pretty quick.

Besides that, if they were here in Germany to try to introduce the uniform style like in England or Australia I would be opposed to that.
Not every child likes to run around in such old-fashioned, formal wear clothing, and I think it's nothing children should wear when they are meant to play in the breaks.
I would certainly not have liked to wear those clothes.
Instead, just a normal sweatshirt or pullover and normal trousers should do it.
Nevertheless, the wrong haircut or whatever still would render you uncool just the same.

This reminds me of quite some years ago when my brother got a Levi's 501 from my uncle. He didn't have use for it anymore and my brother grew really fast back then.
When he entered the school bus the one kid who was into all this fashion clothing (although his parents didn't really have much money) immediately said, "He, you're wearing a Levi's!", as it was very uncommon for us to wear such clothing. My parents were happy they could feed us.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I actually loved having a uniform. It was easy to decide what to wear in the morning, my parents didn't have to spend loads of money on my clothes and because I bought so few other things, I could actually get really nice stuff that I wanted from my own part time jobs rather than accumulating crap.

I don't really put much stock into the self-expression argument. If you can't express yourself in ways more important than your clothing, that's not really going to do it either. I can tell you that despite the fact we all looked similar, people's very different personalities and styles still came through.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:31 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

^^ Not to mention that quite a few jobs require very specific uniforms or dress codes, but I've never heard adults complain.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
^^ Not to mention that quite a few jobs require very specific uniforms or dress codes, but I've never heard adults complain.
Well I can use this as an argument against dress codes by saying this may be the only time in your life when you truly get to express yourself with what you wear, or how you wear, or your haircut, etc...
Old 10-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Well I can use this as an argument against dress codes by saying this may be the only time in your life when you truly get to express yourself with what you wear, or how you wear, or your haircut, etc...
Well, I don't know anyone who is now scarred for life for having to wear a uniform as a kid. If uniforms are such a huge deal, there are other schools that don't use them, just like there are plenty of jobs that don't require them. Personally, anything that saves me even 30 extra seconds getting ready in the morning, I'm all for!!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Well, I don't know anyone who is now scarred for life for having to wear a uniform as a kid. If uniforms are such a huge deal, there are other schools that don't use them, just like there are plenty of jobs that don't require them. Personally, anything that saves me even 30 extra seconds getting ready in the morning, I'm all for!!
No one said anyone is scarred for life, but expressing one's identity is a very important part of development, and very productive to learning. Now I understand that uniforms can take away certain distractions, but like many have stated earlier, there will always be something to bully someone over and maybe we should spend more time trying to address the root of the problem rather than covering it up.

And on the other point, yes it does make it easier, but that should never be a reason to mandate it.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Honestly, we also just looked better and neater. I didn't have to look at guys who had their pants down to their knees and so on. And they weren't ugly uniforms you would think of, either. Nowadays schools have fleece sweaters, nice sweatshirts, cute cardigans and so on.

Having gone to both schools with and without a mandated uniform, I can tell you that I prefer the latter BY FAR.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Hey I never said there was a correlation between uniforms and bullying/not bullying. I'm just saying I don't really believe that they are a bad thing, at ANY stage in life.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Fair enough...
Old 10-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #28
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Are you serious? That's dangerous thinking...
Quite the contrary, actually. I know my uniform was never singled out for being unstylish. It's certainly not dangerous thinking, in any way. If clothes and trends dictate confidence, then we're missing the bigger picture - and THAT is a dangerous thing. Your writing off of Amy's post flies in the face of most Australian schools surviving on uniformity and conformity and us all growing up as adjusted as our US counterparts.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Quite the contrary, actually. I know my uniform was never singled out for being unstylish. It's certainly not dangerous thinking, in any way. If clothes and trends dictate confidence, then we're missing the bigger picture - and THAT is a dangerous thing. Your writing off of Amy's post flies in the face of most Australian schools surviving on uniformity and conformity and us all growing up as adjusted as our US counterparts.
I just think preaching conformity, especially at the high school level is dangerous. It reminds me of 'Brick in the Wall'; "we don't need you thought control".

Why would you preach conformity to the future of your country? We're sold this idea all throughout high school that you are the future, you're the next generation, dream, go out and change the world... how can you do that and preach conformity at the same time?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Conformity to what? It's just an outfit..... Forcing everyone to take the EXACT same curriculum, write on the EXACT same paper topics, read all the same books, repeat word for word what the teacher is saying, rinse wash repeat....THAT is what I call conformity, not a plain sweater and pair of slacks.