Middle Class Tax Cuts Extended

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One very big and obvious problem, for example, is that if people work two part-time jobs rather than one full-time job, they're not generally eligible for health insurance at either one--even though they are in fact working full-time. How do we provide for these people?

A_Wanderer said:
Should people become dependant and to the state for survival, in the long term is a welfare state a desirable option, does it not create the very systems that seem to perpetuate poverty when they inevitably break down.

I hope I deciphered this right lol....Of course. You're right. Which is why everything must be done to empower people, to create a society where people can be independant and flourish. Unemployment and economy, equality, distribution of services and resources. Balancing it out so that there is not such a large scale. I'm not talking a state where everyone is equal and there is no rich or somewhat less rich, just a raising of the lowest level so the bottom is livable.

Ideal, non? :wink:

A_Wanderer said:
Should people become dependant and to the state for survival, in the long term is a welfare state a desirable option, does it not create the very systems that seem to perpetuate poverty when they inevitably break down.

One of the big problems with welfare in this country is that it's very hard to get out of the cycle of poverty, which makes people dependent on the government.

I have to agree with you about some of this "taxing the rich" though. If you cut taxes, more money goes back to them, yes. Same with if you raise taxes. My parents worked very hard to get to where they are now. They didn't have the house and the cars and the security they have now. But if you're going to cut or raise taxes, do it as a percent. Everyone gets a 5% tax break. end. If I'm understanding what is done with this cut again, it's not a straight percentage is it?

Nb-- again, how do we pay this money back? The government is giving us money they don't have. And it's been proven to be a bad idea. At this point, the Bush admin. said we should be creating 600,000 jobs a month because the cuts would stimulate the economy. But we're only creating 100,000. And if we continue down this deficit road, we're screwed. We've seen this problem in Argentina when their government collapsed a few years ago -- they were so in debt that they defaulted. Do you want a tax break now so five years from now, one of the super powers in the world defaults or has to declare bankruptcy? Because it can happen and if we don't stop this, it will happen. And we will have to have our government rely on loans from the International Monetary Fund to stay afloat? do you want to be dependent on an international fund like that?

Back
Top Bottom