Middle Class Report - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2004, 05:13 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 09:50 PM
If we had a swelling surplus and social security was all set, I think it would be time for tax cuts. It doesn't make sense to me to cut taxes and build up debt.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:48 AM   #47
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:50 PM
If it's time to cut back on health, welfare, education, even the condition of your roads and things, then it's time to cut back on taxes.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:49 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
U2Kitten

Besides the lovely tax-cuts everyone should remember that someone has to pack back the debts the current administration is creating (well i guess it will be the burden of our children)
We are now suffering for the mistakes of our parents and grandparents. Our kids will suffer for their mistakes. That's the way it goes

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
If we had a swelling surplus and social security was all set, I think it would be time for tax cuts. It doesn't make sense to me to cut taxes and build up debt.
But the money could be more wisely spent too. I'm tired of the ordinary citizen always being the one to suffer and make sacrifices while gaining nothing. (and I don't just mean 'this administration!') (damn I'm so sick of that phrase 'this administration' )
Old 09-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

But the money could be more wisely spent too. I'm tired of the ordinary citizen always being the one to suffer and make sacrifices while gaining nothing. (and I don't just mean 'this administration!') (damn I'm so sick of that phrase 'this administration' )
I wish the government would spend more time to spend it wisely. The 2 parties are so different in their foundations that they just spend time swinging one way to the other and chucking out each other's programs instead of working together to get it right. I'm so sick of it to.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:13 AM   #50
New Yorker

This is a true picture of what you really get for those tax cuts unless your wealthy

http://www.alternet.org/story/19951/
In fact, the problem is the opposite of what Bush asserts. It is that his tax cuts that are shifting more of the burden of taxes to middle-class and working-class households.

This is important because the Bush team is counting on buying millions of votes with their tax cuts. Most people know that the biggest chunk of the tax cut goes to the rich and the super rich: about a quarter of the 2001-2003 tax cuts went to just 1 percent of taxpayers. These are people with an average income of more than a million dollars a year.

But there are many people who think: who cares if they give away billions to rich people who don't need it, so long as I can get a few hundred dollars in the deal? But they are mistaken.

What they don't understand is that someone is going to have to pay those taxes that rich people are no longer paying. And that someone is them. The federal government under the Bush administration has done nothing to reduce spending, and in fact has vastly increased expenditures on the military and the war in Iraq. The result is a near record budget deficit – at 5 percent of GDP, it's the third largest in the post-World War II era.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:03 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

We are now suffering for the mistakes of our parents and grandparents. Our kids will suffer for their mistakes. That's the way it goes
thats the kind of complacency a government loves
Old 09-22-2004, 06:07 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

thats the kind of complacency a government loves
What I'm saying is, why should we have to be the ones to suffer and have everything on our backs? I am already suffering and have a family to raise and I'm not looking forward to any more hardships so somebody 100 years from now can feel better, sorry.

Also- I do not believe and will never believe raising taxes is the answer to any money problems. Why? Because the more money the government has the more they'll find a way to waste it. It's like a person who gets a $500 bonus and do they put it on their credit cards? No! They go on a skiing trip! Somebody making $10 an hour will say, oh if I could only make $20 things would be fine! But when they do make that amount, they're still broke and think they need $30 an hour. Because the more you make, the more you spend. That's what usually happens to millions of Americans. Stats show the average US household is carrying 8-9,000 dollars in debt not including mortgage and car payments. The government is the most irresponsible of all, REGARDLESS OF PARTY IN POWER!!!!

The key to reducing the deficit MUST be, as it is in personal situations, spending less, putting more toward the balance, better money management! If that's not going to happen the deficit is not going down. The old democrat ploy of throwing money at everything doesn't work. If taxes are raised, spending will raise too. When there is available money there will be no reason to turn down lobbyists and pork barrel projects so they'll just spend it.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:43 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
What I'm saying is, why should we have to be the ones to suffer and have everything on our backs? I am already suffering and have a family to raise and I'm not looking forward to any more hardships so somebody 100 years from now can feel better, sorry.
wow. thats really sad.

there are viable courses of action executed by modern western governments to create budget surpluses and begin to tackle deficits. controls on spending and sensible taxation can be achieved.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:53 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

wow. thats really sad.

there are viable courses of action executed by modern western governments to create budget surpluses and begin to tackle deficits. controls on spending and sensible taxation can be achieved.

It's 'sad' that I do care more about how I'm going to raise my kids NOW, pay my bills NOW and put them through college later than I am about what's going to happen in 100 years? The world may not even last that long. We have to live now.

Read the rest of my post, all the stuff you deleted. That's why lowering deficits through more taxation will NEVER work
Old 09-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Read the rest of
stuff you deleted. That's
why
lowering deficits
taxation will NEVER work

And yes, I do care
happen in 100 years. The world
even last that
to live now.
thank you U2kitten. i read the rest of your post the first time. i didnt know that me including it in my reply was necessary to indicate i had read it. to prove my point, i have deleted random parts of your post.

i do disagree with your post, however.

a rise in taxes does not have to equal a rise in spending. to assume so is ignorant.
i am not saying the democrats are the panacea to your problem. i am not saying george bush is worse. but the present course is, to say the least, unwise.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:13 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

a rise in taxes does not have to equal a rise in spending. to assume so is ignorant.
To assume it won't is ignorant, because it has happened every time. While may not 'have' to, it does, just as I explained. That's why it doesn't work, it never has, it's never going to, and I strongly disagree with the ideology that it's the best thing because it only hurts average people more and helps no one.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:16 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
It's 'sad' that I do care more about how I'm going to raise my kids NOW, pay my bills NOW and put them through college later than I am about what's going to happen in 100 years? The world may not even last that long. We have to live now.
And how about 15 to 20 years for now (or even 5 to 10 if you think that's already too far into the future)? Would you rather have $500 a year extra now so that you have to pay $10,000 more for your kid's college in the future or is that a problem for another generation? Is the draining of resources now, so you have an extra $1500 this year and the next, worth a healthcare system that is out of control in 20 years?

You are right when you say that a key to a better budget is better money management. But this includes not giving away an irresponsible tax cut. When you want a better budget by spending less, you should not simultaneously decrease your income, because that will not improve your situation.

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-22-2004, 08:23 AM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Also- I do not believe and will never believe raising taxes is the answer to any money problems. Why? Because the more money the government has the more they'll find a way to waste it. It's like a person who gets a $500 bonus and do they put it on their credit cards? No!They go on a skiing trip!
And putting it on a credit card is not 'wasting it'?

And while it is true that a government will spend more if it has more to spend, I won't call it 'wasting' money either. If they can pay off debts by having more money, if they can invest in education and healthcare, safety, etc. then I do consider that money well spent.
Does this mean the government does not waste money? No, of course they do. There will always be badly invested projects. But should this be a reason to eliminate all investment? I think not, just as companies keep investing, even though there may be a few bad investments. You can always keep someone responsible if an investment is too irresponsible (200 billion for a war, that could've been spent by giving every American decent access to healthcare, anyone?) by voting him or her away.

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

I would rather pay slightly higher taxes now so that in 65 years I won't have to worry as much about how I'm going to buy food, medication, and where I'm going to live. I'm mostly concerned about health care and social security in the future. I'd rather deal with all the shitty stuff right away when I'm young and more resilient!

Tax cuts are really the one thing I can't really figure out. And I'm pretty much a Republican so it find it rather troublesome.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:08 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Remember all the doomsday talk about the deficits from the Reagan administration. A solid economic base was built so that by the Clinton administration, no one worried about deficits.

A solid economy is far more important that marginal tax rates.