Microsoft China blocks words ‘democracy’, ‘freedom’ - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Microsoft China blocks words ‘democracy’, ‘freedom’

The users of Microsoft's new China-based internet portal were recently blocked from using the words ‘democracy’, ‘freedom’ and ‘human rights’ in a move by the software giant to please Beijing. Other words that are not permitted on Microsoft China's free online blog service, MSN Spaces, include: ‘Taiwan independence’ and ‘demonstration’.

If a user attempts to post one of these words in his blog, he would recieve the following message: "this item should not contain forbidden speech such as profanity. Please enter a different word for this item".

Microsoft has already been critisized for working with the Chinese government in an attempt to censor the internet.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?i...&category=main

Old 06-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Capitalism, that is $$, trumps democracy every time.

Melon

Old 06-14-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Capitalism, that is $$, trumps democracy every time.

Melon
yep.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 12:44 AM

Sad
Old 06-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

This is the fault of the big bad corporation?

You want licensing rights in China, you play on their terms. The grip of the Chinese government is all over this one.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

kowtow to beijing -> get licensing rights -> get money.

or...

don't kowtow to beijing -> don't get licensing rights -> don't get money.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

So, Bejing seems to be the root of the problem, not capitalism.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Yes, Beijing is most certainly the root. I think what people are trying to say is it's a shame that capitalistic wants will greedily bow down to that problem. But I guess it's not that simple. Question is, what's better? Corporations bend to fit, or they say f*ck off and stay out of China? Which is more likely to bring about change?
Old 06-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Beijing is definitely at fault. Microsoft can't stay out of China and they have to screw with a repressive government to do this. I wish they could get rid of the government but unfortunately that's beyond their control. I'm sure they'd greatly prefer not having to screw with this government but they don't have a choice. I think it'd be worse if they just stayed out of China altogether. This way the Chinese can be exposed to the world outside of China, and that's a positive thing.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Yes, Beijing is most certainly the root. I think what people are trying to say is it's a shame that capitalistic wants will greedily bow down to that problem. But I guess it's not that simple. Question is, what's better? Corporations bend to fit, or they say f*ck off and stay out of China? Which is more likely to bring about change?
I understand the situation. But I believe that the Chinese will benefit from a slightly censored internet vs. no internet at all.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i think the point is that it's a shame that no one will stand up for human rights, democracy, etc, all of the things we supposedly cherish, when a few greenbacks are at stake.

i think a sudden end to foreign investment would create a social/economic unrest that would ultimately benefit the people of china in the long run more than google or yahoo! will. unfortunately there's no money in it.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

That might just simply lead to disaster. China is lightyears more open then it was 2 decades ago. Little things creeping in may eventually work far better than essentially crashing the whole country with your fingers crossed.

I guess it's all down to how the business is done. For example, the many allegations against Murdoch for softening his China reporting in his Western media, in return for favourable deals there - that's flat out wrong.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
That might just simply lead to disaster. China is lightyears more open then it was 2 decades ago. Little things creeping in may eventually work far better than essentially crashing the whole country with your fingers crossed.
i don't think the entire country would collapse, but it could create a situation where the people are able to take it back.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If you pulled 'the West' out of China completely, ie we aren't sending them Coke anymore and they aren't making our Nikes anymore, then at this stage it would be near impossible for them to recover.

Having said that, they do appear at the moment to be doing their darndest to catch up and compete. For example, it won't be that long till there's a Chinese car maker with a dealership in your area. I read an article the other day that said, as another example of where China will head and how quickly they could get there, that they were graduating several hundred thousand engineers a year in China. At a certain level, the pay in the US would be $150,000 a year, but in China it's $300 a month. They interviewed an American in China who also believed that they were better than in the US, work harder, better educated, more drive etc. It's just one example from a country that has the ability to absolutely boom on it's own. That to me = 'problems'.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
i think a sudden end to foreign investment would create a social/economic unrest that would ultimately benefit the people of china in the long run more than google or yahoo! will. unfortunately there's no money in it.
What the hell are you talking about, foreign investment has drastically improved China, it is raising a middle class and improving living standards and allowing the bloody people to survive. Sure it sucks that they suffer political repression but there are loopholes to these systems and having a relatively affluent group with education and global telecommunications will be a force for change.

It would fuck over the people; there would be famine and tremendous suffering. The idea of creating a "self-sufficient" nation is the hardest and cruelest form of punishment a government can do to the people.

North Korea tried this and engineered one of the worst famines of the last hundred years Not a good thing!