Microsoft China blocks words ‘democracy’, ‘freedom’ - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2005, 10:09 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
What the hell are you talking about, foreign investment has drastically improved China, it is raising a middle class and improving living standards and allowing the bloody people to survive. Sure it sucks that they suffer political repression but there are loopholes to these systems and having a relatively affluent group with education and global telecommunications will be a force for change.

It would fuck over the people; there would be famine and tremendous suffering. The idea of creating a "self-sufficient" nation is the hardest and cruelest form of punishment a government can do to the people.

North Korea tried this and engineered one of the worst famines of the last hundred years Not a good thing!
what government imposing what punishment on whom? jesus, don't get your britches in a knot so quickly.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:44 PM
You said that China would be better off without foreign investment. The usual way that this occurs is when a government comes to power with promises of making a country "self reliant". Policies like that kill people in very large numbers and I really, really find it abhorent.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:25 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:44 AM
China has been having sporadic peasant revolts lately. I think it's safe to say that China is no longer communist in the true definition of the word, but, rather, an autocratic capitalist nation.

Melon
Old 06-14-2005, 10:32 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
China has been having sporadic peasant revolts lately. I think it's safe to say that China is no longer communist in the true definition of the word, but, rather, an autocratic capitalist nation.

Melon
I would agree with this; an autocratic capitalist nation is a shade better than an autocratic communist nation but a free nation leaves them both for dead. The question remaining is how to get a free nation.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:44 AM
I think if China continues in the same direction it will happen, slowly, but will happen. Just letting go bit by bit organicaly rather than any sweeping change. The question then is: How far will they let that organic process go before they throw the brakes on? I guess this threads example is a good one. Even just a decade ago (if it were there) it would have been a massive stretch to imagine China allowing this Microsoft internet package at all, but here in 2005 they will, but they've thrown the brakes on at 'freedom' etc. I guess that can be an analogy for the overall process.

The other question is, how far will will others let them go? That to me is just as interesting. That's why I brought up the example of the engineers. A country that can produce several hundred thousand engineers a year who have the same resources and are as educated as those in the West, but working for 2% of the wage of the West, are going to boom quickly and in a massive way (and it's common across most professions there now). There are some that I think will not like that one bit - democracy or not.

A_Wanderer - there was a good article in the SMH on the weekend about this, meaning it was probably in your Age, had a funny story about the Chinese wine industry. It was virtually non-existent 5 years ago, now it's the new hotspot for wine. The Chinese decided they wanted 'in' on wine so they sent a team over to Australia to learn the ropes, and take a bunch of Australian experts back with them to help get it up and running. Within 5 years later, they're on top of the game. The funny part is, one of the Chinese groups was visiting Tasmania and were treated to a reception at the Tasmanian Govt House. They liked the building so much they asked for a copy of the plans, which they were given. Now standing on some Chinese winery is a brick for brick exact replica of the Tasmanian Govt House.

The article listed many other examples where, like wine, China's jumping in, and in a big way. Electronics, cars etc. All sorts. Not just manufacturing our brands anymore, but creating and building their own with their own plans of dominance.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:49 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

My cousin goes to ag college in the riverina and told me about the Chinese government running a trial thing out there; interesting stuff.

I doubt that there would be war between the USA and China, the mutual benefits of trade really are a great way to keep the peace.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:52 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:44 AM
i don't blame them. after seeing how much George W. has misused those words, i'd block them too.