Michael Moore's "Good Friday/Passover/Easter, 2002 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2002, 02:44 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono:
Glad you show no emotions, 80tish.
I know exactly to what you are referring, Rono, but the two have nothing to do with each other. Re-read what you posted that I was referring to as "emotional tripe", and you will see that it is nothing like what I have posted here.
In that particular post, someone answered your question in a way you must not have liked, so how did you respond? By going off on some tangent and going on about 1)pedophile priests and (2)the president of the USA, neither of which had anything at all to do with anything. My point wasn't that you shouldn't be emotional. My point was that you should argue using logic, not go on some emotional tirade that didn't have anything to do with the subject at hand.
As you can see, in this post, I responded to Moore's column with a logical argument. yes, it did have some emotion, but the emotion was tied to teh argument; that Moore's post was an insulting piece of garbage.
So, you think you've somehow "got me" with your post, but you don't, because the 2 posts in question were not similar at all.



[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-03-2002).]
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 04:34 PM   #17
The Fly
 
babble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Lynn Haven, FL
Posts: 145
Local Time: 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth:
OK settle down people, he's just a comedian! If you don't like him don't go to his shows or read his books or open threads about him.
Well, I'd just like to say that I hardly know anything about Micheal Moore and upon seeing this thread, I had not anticipated being upset by it. Anyway, what is the point in posting an article in a forum with members of varying beliefs and opinions, a forum designed for discussion, if you only want people to agree with it and if they don't, ignore it. It just doesn't make sense to me. To be honest I'm not in a frenzy of anger or anything but I felt I should voice my opinion about it, especially since I agreed with 80sU2isBest and he was blasted so unfairly for voicing his opinion.

p.s. your welcome 80's

__________________

__________________
babble is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 05:17 PM   #18
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: adrift on a breeze in Tennessee
Posts: 692
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
But you know what, Dude? I don't laugh at Michael Moore because he's NOT FREAKIN' FUNNY! Especially this tripe.
You call me hateful?? I think most people on this forum would disagree with you, even people who have more liberal beliefs than I. Go ahead, take a poll. I dare you.
Maybe YOU need to open your eyes and really look hard and honestly at this column by Michael Moore. If you do, you'll see several things that would offend most Christians (be they liberal, conservative, Catholic, Protestant, etc.). If you can't see those things, Sir, you are blind.
I thought it was funny ironic. I mean really - Moore has a point - it takes a really good spin doctor to make your religious leader's crucifixation into a observance day called Good Friday. Imagine the horror had the US tried to establish Thursday, April 4, 1968 or Friday, November 22, 1963 as 'good' anything?

The sign off including the reference to his own private golgatha just uses that as an anology for how he feels in being evicted for non payment or rent when he fact has the #1 non fiction book in the country. Irony.

It wasn't hilarious -but it was worth a chuckle. BTW Moore is a very nice person. A close friend of mine worked for him as a PA and she got the job because she was his cousin somehow. I was in his office when I was in NYC a couple years ago. Sorry to hear that the infamous ficus tree was almost kidnapped!

M
__________________
YellowKite is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 06:42 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by YellowKite:
I thought it was funny ironic. I mean really - Moore has a point - it takes a really good spin doctor to make your religious leader's crucifixation into a observance day called Good Friday. Imagine the horror had the US tried to establish Thursday, April 4, 1968 or Friday, November 22, 1963 as 'good' anything?
The sign off including the reference to his own private golgatha just uses that as an anology for how he feels in being evicted for non payment or rent when he fact has the #1 non fiction book in the country. Irony.
M
Martin Luther King (April 4, 1968) and JFK (Nov.22 1963) died and are still in the grave. Their deaths did not provide salvation to millions of people. Their deaths are not the cornerstone for one of the major religions of the world. What Jesus Christ accomplished on that day was a good thing for millions of people. The way Moore so flippantly discusses this most holy event is downrigth insulting.
I catch the irony in the fact that he is being evicted even though he has the #1 selling non-fiction book in the country. That is irony. But to compare it to the suffering that occurred on Golgotha; I don't find that humorous at all - it's quite frankly insulting. I would say it would be akin to a millionaire visiting a village in Ethiopia with starving children all around, and complaining that he's hungry because they didn't serve lunch on the plane ride over.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by YellowKite:
I thought it was funny ironic. I mean really - Moore has a point - it takes a really good spin doctor to make your religious leader's crucifixation into a observance day called Good Friday. Imagine the horror had the US tried to establish Thursday, April 4, 1968 or Friday, November 22, 1963 as 'good' anything?

The sign off including the reference to his own private golgatha just uses that as an anology for how he feels in being evicted for non payment or rent when he fact has the #1 non fiction book in the country. Irony.

It wasn't hilarious -but it was worth a chuckle. BTW Moore is a very nice person. A close friend of mine worked for him as a PA and she got the job because she was his cousin somehow. I was in his office when I was in NYC a couple years ago. Sorry to hear that the infamous ficus tree was almost kidnapped!

M
Crucifixation????
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 07:30 PM   #21
The Fly
 
KevM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 113
Local Time: 03:10 PM
[quote]Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Quote:
I would say it would be akin to a millionaire visiting a village in Ethiopia with starving children all around, and complaining that he's hungry because they didn't serve lunch on the plane ride over.
Humm. That sounds ironic to me.
__________________
KevM is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 08:06 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KevM:
Humm. That sounds ironic to me.
Actually, that isnt irony. Irony is when you say one thing, but you mean exactly the opposite. But it is a very ridiculous and insulting thing for that millionaire to be doing, in the same way that Michael Moore equating his troubles with Christ's suffering is ridiculous and insulting.

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-03-2002).]
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 10:41 PM   #23
Refugee
 
Danospano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,415
Local Time: 03:10 PM
I hardly have the energy to write this post. I have a paper due tomorrow and I got about 2 hours of sleep last night. Somehow, I'm still compelled to respond.

80sU2isBest has stated his opinion on Moore. I haven't heard him say one truly, good word about the man's thoughts, which is very odd by itself. I'm sure that they have at least SOME things is common. Nevertheless, he's beating a dead horse. I understand that you don't agree with Moore, so it gets a little repeatitive whenever you sound-off on every letter I post. I'm not telling you to stop responsed. I'm wishing you would stop. Not because I believe in censorship, but because every freakin' person in this chatroom knows how you feel. Whatever, do what you want to.

I don't want to argue about religion, because that one can never be won.

I'm tired of the double standard seen between what is humourous, but I know that humour is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think that Pauly Shore is the complete opposite of funny, while someone else obviously does or should I say, did. This Moore letter makes the reader think about the way religious leadership spins historic events to fit their own personal agenda, and being raised Christian, and then reaching the age of reason, I can see humour in every religion. Be it Christianity or whatever.

People take themselve too seriously, and 80sU2isBest DOES symbolize the political outlook of U2 in the 1980's: serious. But remember that with age comes wisdom, much like the U2 of the 1990's and the present. I don't know how old you are, 80sU2, but I'm only 22 and I've already discovered that life and everything around it is not to be taken seriously. That's based on reading Chomsky, Hemingway, Plato, The Bible, Michael Moore, countless other authors, and most of all, YOUR POSTS.

__________________
Danospano is offline  
Old 04-03-2002, 10:51 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Gulf Coast State of Mine
Posts: 3,405
Local Time: 02:10 PM
but every freakin' person in this chatroom (sic*) knows how Moore feels too.

*message board.
__________________
U2Bama is offline  
Old 04-04-2002, 02:24 AM   #25
Refugee
 
Danospano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,415
Local Time: 03:10 PM
True. But......

Shut up, U2 Bama

LOL
__________________
Danospano is offline  
Old 04-04-2002, 09:14 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama:
but every freakin' person in this chatroom (sic*) knows how Moore feels too.
*message board.
Exactly right, Bama, and thanks for that grand re-entrance into my cyberlife!
Dano, we do indeed all know how Moore feels about everything by now. But you just keep posting it, don't you? Even though you know how I feel, and you know that he gets me so riled up. Listen, surely by now you know how important faith is to me. You've seen me defend my faith time after time. Did you really think I wouldn't defend it against this insulting column written by Moore?
And about humor; I think that life is 95% serious. There are big issues in this life - faith, hope, love, death, etc. But somethings I do treat humorously. Not this column. In my opinion, it wasn't intended to be funny and it's not funny.
By the way, I'm 34. I'm glad you've read so many books about life. But I have faced many things in my life that have ingrained into me how serious life is. I have had to face the deaths of 3 grandparents, my father, my brother and my son. You never know how long your loved ones will have life, so you damn well better take care of things while they're here to benefit from it.


[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 04-04-2002).]
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-04-2002, 11:41 AM   #27
The Fly
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kenner, LA, USA
Posts: 67
Local Time: 08:10 PM
Moore you are a bigger ass than I thought. Do yourself a favor and don't think. All you do is whine. A true liberal.
__________________
new orleans is offline  
Old 04-04-2002, 05:54 PM   #28
Refugee
 
Danospano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,415
Local Time: 03:10 PM
All I'm saying is that nobody should let life get them down. Religion and everyone's personal beliefs legitimize life. They give people a reason to get up in the morning. Without faith in God, most people would take life less seriously. I happen to "think" that God has a pretty damn good sense of humor. I also think he could care less what happens to each and every human being, let alone mammals in general.
This is MY OPINION, and I don't care if you agree or not, I'm just stating it.
My outlook on life is based on logic, scientific proof, and occassionally I flirt with the faith. I see life as a one-night stand, where we should have fun while we're here. Before all of us know, we'll be breathing our last breathe. We'll look back on our lives and wonder, "Did I have fun, or did I take matters too seriously?" I for one, what to look back and realize that I live life to the highest and tried many different ventures. I will be glad I stopped to smell the roses, practiced a chrisian faith for 10 years of my life, explore the issue of religion and how it interacts with the "big picture", and so forth.
I know many people whom I make it a point NOT to talk about religion, because they've been hypotized to the point of no return. They feel that everything they're told by the church is true. At least the things they WANT to believe. It's funny how a lot of Christians practice pre-martial sex (even peity members are being caught these days), drink alcohol, kill their fellow man, destroy the environment that God gave us, and think going to church gives them a clean slate.

Okay, I'm off the point of my rant....

Basically, I think that are times when people should take things seriously. We have laws and regulations that keep people from acting like looney-tunes in my front yard, okay? We have schools were people are forced to learn the skills that will make them productive in society. But humour is essential to live a happy life. I mean, how many people know someone who's always straightfaced and serious? EVERYONE, right? Well, those are the people that ruin life for the rest of us. They make us feel guilty for everything, which really pisses me off.

(I think this is the longest, most directionless post I've ever written, but you must realize that I am now operating on less than 8 hrs of sleep in the last 60 hrs)

GOD! Why must we be serious 95% of the time? That's insane. I can honestly say that if I was straightlaced, serious 95% of the time, and everyone else was as well, we'd have constant fighting between EVERYONE. We'd be drones that go to work, go home, sit in silence (worrying about the future), and never getting a good night's sleep, because we'd be dreaming about how serious life is.

LIGHTEN UP! Please, lighten up. It feels great to take life with a grain of salt. If someone close to you dies, its okay to cry or mourn. But realize that everything dies and focusing on the worst in life and toiling in depressing moments, is not a way to live a life. Unless your into that sort of thing. I think one of my friends is into that...you know, self-mutilation. (oh, charlie, will you ever learn ).

__________________
Danospano is offline  
Old 04-04-2002, 07:15 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano:
I also think he could care less what happens to each and every human being, let alone mammals in general.
then you would be wrong. God loves every being, especially humans, that lives on this earth. He takes an active interest in the thinga that happens in our lives.

Dano wrote:
My outlook on life is based on logic, scientific proof, and occassionally I flirt with the faith. I see life as a one-night stand, where we should have fun while we're here. Before all of us know, we'll be breathing our last breathe. We'll look back on our lives and wonder, "Did I have fun, or did I take matters too seriously?" I for one, what to look back and realize that I live life to the highest and tried many different ventures. I will be glad I stopped to smell the roses, practiced a chrisian faith for 10 years of my life, explore the issue of religion and how it interacts with the "big picture", and so forth.

80sU2isBest:
You accuse me of taking life too seriously; If you see life as a one night stand, then you don't take life seriously enough. Look around you, Dano, there are wars all over the place - people are being murdered, people are looking for answers. And you call this a "one night stand"? When I look back on my life, I don't care if I can say yes to "Did I have fun? Did I take life too seriously?" What I want to know is that I can answer yes to "Did I tell people the truth of the Gospel?" and "Did I love the Lord?" and "Did I love people the way I would be loved?" That's how I measure success. I want to make a difference in this life, and thinking of life as a "one night stand" doesn't cut it.

Dano wrote:
It's funny how a lot of Christians practice pre-martial sex (even peity members are being caught these days), drink alcohol, kill their fellow man, destroy the environment that God gave us, and think going to church gives them a clean slate.

80s writes:
First, there is no Biblical rule against drinking alcohol. The Bible simply says "Don't get drunk". Secondly, you'll never catch ME saying that going to church gives you a clean slate. If you know anything at all about my beliefs, you'll know that I am a "grace" man. I am saved only by God's grace, not by anything I have done.

Dano wrote:
But humour is essential to live a happy life. I mean, how many people know someone who's always straightfaced and serious? EVERYONE, right? Well, those are the people that ruin life for the rest of us. They make us feel guilty for everything, which really pisses me off.

80s wrote:
Now, sir, I will tell you again - I am not an unfunny person. Ask my friends, and tehy will tell you that I have quite a sense of humor. You are judging my sense of humor on how I react to Michael Moore. That's ridiculous. He's not freaking funny! How can you judge a peron's sense of humor on the fact that they don't find an unfunny man funny? What do I find funny? The comedian George Wallace - HE's funny. The Bernie Mac show - that's a riot! The George Lopez Show - ha ha ha! Old shows especially, like "Leave It To Beaver", "Andy Griffith" and "I Love Lucy" - those are things I find funny! Insulting columns by a bitter writer - I don't find that funny.

Dano wrote:
GOD! Why must we be serious 95% of the time? That's insane. I can honestly say that if I was straightlaced, serious 95% of the time, and everyone else was as well, we'd have constant fighting between EVERYONE. We'd be drones that go to work, go home, sit in silence (worrying about the future), and never getting a good night's sleep, because we'd be dreaming about how serious life is.

80s writes:
Ok, dano, you're starting to upset me a little bit here. First, I did not say I was serious 95% of the time. I said life is 95% serious. There is a difference. And why do you think badly of "seriousness" anyway? Do you think "seriousness" means walking around with a frown all the time? No, that's not what it means! Some people who are too serious do that, but seriousness to me is being fully aware that life is no cosmic mistake, and doing my best in my life's mission. I am serious about life. But that doesn't mean I don't smile, or cut jokes. Again, if you knew me, you would know that. I am known for my opyimism around my family and friends. You've got a wrong definition of seriousness, Dano.

Dano writes:
LIGHTEN UP! Please, lighten up. It feels great to take life with a grain of salt. If someone close to you dies, its okay to cry or mourn. But realize that everything dies and focusing on the worst in life and toiling in depressing moments, is not a way to live a life. Unless your into that sort of thing. I think one of my friends is into that...you know, self-mutilation. (oh, charlie, will you ever learn ).

80s writes:
Finally, don't you DARE to presume to tell me how to handle grief. Have you ever lost a brother and son within a year of each other, only to lose your father 3 years later? If not, you can't speak of that at all. It is devastating.

If I wanted to spend my life "focusing on the worst in life and toiling in depressing moments", that's none of your business. It just so happens that's NOT how I handled those deaths. I did indeed grieve, but I have a great God in Heaven who has comforted and strengthened me through it all. What those experiences taught me was (1)To appreciate and love people while they're alive and (2)Tell people God loves them.

Despite what you might think (without even knowing me, I will add), I am not some serious, sourpuss old grouch. But I will not NOW or EVER pretend I see humor in an article that insults my faith or my God.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-04-2002, 07:38 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 01:10 PM
80s, I really do understand that you are a man of deep faith and convictions and you seem to strive hard to really walk your talk. I appreciate that in anybody. I, too, have deep faith--different from yours, but no less profound for me--and try as I might, I cannot imagine being this offended if someone who is known for being more or less a political satirist and comedian (as well as a real activist), made similar comments about that which I hold sacred. I really don't think I'd be offended--but then again, I'm not easily offended in general. Why get so worked up over someone you think is a jerk? Just consider the source and let it go.

I like Moore, but this particular article I actually thought was kind of dumb (but don't stop posting them, Dano!). It's just one slob's viewpoint, 80s. The God I believe in has a pretty wild sense of humor and I doubt if God or Jesus are sweatin' too much over this one. You shouldn't either. I mean, you can if you want, but I honestly think you're making a big deal over a lot of nothing. Yes, he took a little jab at Jesus--so what? Shrug it off. You know what you believe--that's all that matters.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com