Michael Moore's "Bowling......" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2002, 04:37 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Michael Moore's "Bowling......"

Has anyone else seen this movie? What did you think? Was Charlton Heston treated unfairly?

Just wanting some opinions & observations. Hope all have had a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Old 11-28-2002, 06:27 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 12:24 PM
there's a thread here-
http://forum.interference.com/showth...+For+Columbine

Old 11-28-2002, 09:29 PM   #3
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:24 PM
i saw it and i liked it. i don't think heston was treated unfairly, though. i think moore raised some very good questions, it's just that he couldn't seem to answer any of them. why the nra had to have pro-gun rallies after the columbine tragedy and the one at the elementary school (i don't remember what city it was in, flint, michigan i think?) in the same or nearby cities (esp. in the latter's case because i think he decided to go after it happened, but the former rally had already been scheduled) just pisses me off.

i must say i was proud of k-mart though. i don't pay attention to what stores sell guns or ammo (hell, i thought wal-marts didn't even sell them anymore and k-marts never had, lol) so whatever the answer was would be a surprise to me. for them to take it to heart (be it because they felt bad for what happened or because of pressure from the media) and stop selling ammo too was groovy.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:26 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl
there's a thread here-
http://forum.interference.com/showth...+For+Columbine
Yeah, I'm going to send this over to FYM, where it'll be merged.

As for the movie, I did see it, and I thought it was excellent. As for Heston, I kinda felt bad for him because he seems like a senile old man, but, like Khanada said, he didn't have any good answers for Moore regarding why pro-gun rallies were held in areas right after shootings, and I think he should be expected to have reasons about why those rallies occured.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:56 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:24 PM
this is a dumb question, i guess. but i never understood why people HAVE to have guns nowadays. Police, i think i can understand it. And I guess it is guaranteed in the constitution, but is that the main reason the NRA uses to defend gun ownership? I must admit, I have never taken the time to really really find out how they justify their position. maybe somebody here can help me. What kinds of statements/arguments does the NRA make in support of their position? do they want everyone in america to own one gun? do they all own stock in gun manufacturing companies and want to make money off of guns? what's the deal?
Old 11-29-2002, 01:33 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

I haven't seen this film myself, but this is something my friend commented on. To him, the film was not really a condemnation of guns, nor did it advocate further gun control legislation. What the film did say, however, was that American culture was problematic and had to change.

Would those who saw this film agree?

Melon
Old 11-29-2002, 01:39 PM   #7
War Child

Yes, the movie is really about how fear based America is, and what effect that has on us and our actions etc.
It's not really a "gun control" movie at all.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:56 PM   #8
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Would those who saw this film agree?
oui.

the movie gives statistics of homicides for several first world countries, including america, which of course is the only one well over a thousand. (every other county is under a hundred or maybe with a couple hundred, but america is at a little over 11,000!) but he also states every country allows guns, so that can't be it. he basically disproves every belief that it's gun ownership, or even race.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:30 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, I would agree.

Though I feel the Canadian parts of it were exaggerated (particularly the shot of the slums - yarite, come to Finch/Jane in Toronto and it looks NOTHING like what Moore showed), it was an excellent film about the USA in the context of a global society.

The film was primarily based on the creation and propagation of fear in the US.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:34 PM   #10
She's the One

If anything Moore was too easy on that old man. But Chuck's got Alzheimer's now, so it's hard to be tough on him and still look good. He's got no answers except that tired old racial bullshit. I can't stand the old bastard; I never could.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The movie was great.

But I say, "fuck that."

I think Moore was easy on Heston.

Alzheimer's is no excuse for some of the actions taken by Heston.

The only gripe I had about the flick was some of Moore's passive aggresive approaches to some of the subjects. He makes his point by using irony, but never once comes out to his enemy and say "YOU ARE WRONG."

That is his style, and it works very well. I think it is a terrific film, and was really amazed by it.

If you are thinking about going to see it, be prepared to be more educated, than entertained...
Old 12-04-2002, 04:50 PM   #12
War Child

I believe Heston didn't come out with the "I have Alzheimer's symtoms" until after Moore interviewed him.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:18 PM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
He makes his point by using irony, but never once comes out to his enemy and say "YOU ARE WRONG."
sometimes the intended miss the irony.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:13 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

true - I just found it a bit long-winded...
Old 12-16-2002, 10:17 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:24 PM
i thought it was great. i enjoyed how on one hand it's got some really funny things in it, but it's such a serious subject that you tend to feel a little guilty after laughing.

Quote:
I haven't seen this film myself, but this is something my friend commented on. To him, the film was not really a condemnation of guns, nor did it advocate further gun control legislation. What the film did say, however, was that American culture was problematic and had to change.
and i agree with that.

and the part with heston made me really mad...they were there with this huge movie poster behind them, he was walking around every quesiont, and the whole image of his private estate just gave the impression that he was so shut off from the world that it just made sense that he wouldn't know what to say...