Michael Moore's "Bowling......" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2002, 10:19 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:12 PM
maybe people have kinda forgotten about this thread, but I went and saw the movie twice last week. I was really very *incited* by it.

I have decided to try and do something about the "welfare to work" program. I did a lot of reading/writing about the history of welfare in grad school, but analyzing schools of thought to analyzing welfare programs isn't very socially helpful. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get started helping to oppose that useless system?

I wondered if anyone knew what had finally unfurled regarding the little boy who shot the little girl...the mother...where are they now? Does she work? Does he live with his mother?

Does anyone know the ethnic/racial membership percentages of the NRA?

Did anyone here wonder about the people Michael Moore chose to interview and include in the film? Did anyone feel there was a lack of racial diversity? Demographic diversity? If so...was it intentional? If it was unintentional, did it hurt the film?

And finally, I just finished reading The Grapes of Wrath for the first time. It was amazing. I would love to hear if anyone here has read it, recently or not, and thought about the two pieces of media in relation to one another.

(responses due before the holiday break. )

Old 12-18-2002, 01:39 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 08:12 PM
I've tried to find statistics on membership in the NRA, but it seems easier said than done...you could try calling them 1-800-NRA-3888 and talking to them about it.
Theres' this on there web site -
closing remarks made by C.H. at a rally -
"That's why you and your descendants need never fear fascism, state-run faith, refugee camps, brainwashing, ethnic cleansing, or especially, submission to the wanton will of criminals."
(Ethnic clensing of a bunch of old white men? lol )
taken from http://www.nrahq.org/transcripts/denver_close.asp

I've also found it difficult to get info on what happend with the 6 year old, I can't find names leading me anywhere, but I do know they were planning on charging his uncle or somebody who had owned the gun.

You may want to check MM msg boards and look around, the answers may be on there actually.
And as far as helping with the welfare thing....what is it that you do right now? Are you still in school? Perhaps trying to get a job in some sort of social working position would lead you in some direction or another, I really don't know. All I know is I'm trying to get a number of so called "gov't aide" and I don't seem to qualify for any of them, and the ones I do qualify for they want me to go on a wild goose chase for forms and signatures from every person in the city lol They certainly don't make it easy or encouraging to try to get help when you really need it.

Old 12-18-2002, 06:59 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
maybe people have kinda forgotten about this thread, but I went and saw the movie twice last week. I was really very *incited* by it.

I have decided to try and do something about the "welfare to work" program. I did a lot of reading/writing about the history of welfare in grad school, but analyzing schools of thought to analyzing welfare programs isn't very socially helpful. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get started helping to oppose that useless system?

And finally, I just finished reading The Grapes of Wrath for the first time. It was amazing. I would love to hear if anyone here has read it, recently or not, and thought about the two pieces of media in relation to one another.

(responses due before the holiday break. )

I just read Grapes of Wrath (2nd time). A great book, yes. I hadn't made the connection...What relations do you see? Are you thinking of the government camps as being positive examples of how the government can help the needy?

I had forgotten the point about mothers not being around because they are forced to work, leaving children unsupervised. Seems if we are left with the choice of sacrificing "family values" or our tax money, we choose to hold on to the latter. It is a matter of children's rights, in a sense. And a matter of keeping our communities safe by raising disciplined kids.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:56 PM   #19
New Yorker

i guess to answer one question first off, I work full time for a non-profit musuem. i'm not qualified for social work and don't have the time or $$ to go back to grad school. or the desire.

i just want to be an "activist." ugh...sounds cornball.

anyway, i was thinking about funny connections between GoW and BfC...like in Grapes, an 11 yr old kills a sheriff's deputy with a shotgun. And i cheered for the kid! And the people in Grapes are so goddam poor. It's sickening. And the stuff they are forced to do to survive...and then I was thinking about the mother of that little boy...

and when it comes to welfare, i had to read a few books a few years ago, the one i remember is "Protecting Soldiers and Mothers." It was all about how soldiers have earned pensions but mothers have yet to. Certain mothers could possibly deserve a "pension" (this was before welfare existed) but they had to meet certain standards of behavior. and god forbid the mothers tried to get a job to supplement meager funds of "pensions." It was frustrating to read about in grad school...to see in the theatre...and to read about in fiction....

i guess I'm just frustrated with the way things work right now.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:12 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl
All I know is I'm trying to get a number of so called "gov't aide" and I don't seem to qualify for any of them, and the ones I do qualify for they want me to go on a wild goose chase for forms and signatures from every person in the city lol They certainly don't make it easy or encouraging to try to get help when you really need it.
Forms are evil. I'm not looking forward to all the immigration paperwork I'm going to have to do!

You might have already tried this, but have you called your Member of Congress about it? They should have a staff person who deals with that sort of thing and can help you with the forms and speed up the process a bit.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:40 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 08:12 PM
I went and got a Lawyer haha!
Old 12-19-2002, 02:19 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think the lack of racial diversity was clear in the movie and was intentional.

I think his argument about guns was supposed to come through the use of Columbine as a case study.

As most ( I am guessing) school shootings in the near past have been done by white male teens, I think that is the root he took...

Just my observation.