Michael Moore Responds - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

zing!

i've done hours of community service, donated to numerous charities, etc. etc. etc. i don't need to brag about this, so i don't need to list exactly what I have done to make this world a better place. I know it in my HEART.
Me too! Good for you, and good for not tooting your own horn and dissing and judging others

Old 11-09-2004, 12:36 AM   #92
The Fly

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
For all of you who live to criticize -

the day that you can win international film awards for your movies, let alone an Oscar
and
when you can show me a lifetime of work standing up for the rights of the unemployed and the disenfranchised,

or, in simple terms,
when you can show me something that you have ACTUALLY DONE to make this world a better place (not just for Republicans)

THEN I will fathom that you have the credibility to criticize Michael Moore!

In other words, first talk to the man in the mirror.

1) Not once but twice this man has made films and gobs of money from other peoples agony. WAKE UP and stop giving the fat man more of your hard earned dollars. He eats well enough as we all can see.
2) Tell me how helping divide a country even more so than it already is with his latest filck a better place?
3) Tell me how making a film about a horrible day in a school did any good for anyone and how it changed the world? If anything it forced the parents and families to relive that horrible day again and again.
4) He only started standing up for the so-called unemployed and disenfranchised because he thought it would garner more votes for the bush haters. Ever heard of praying on the weak?

hes peeling off those dollar bills and slapping them down... All the way to the bank because its so easy to manipulate you.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:49 PM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by UltraVioletMofo

1) Not once but twice this man has made films and gobs of money from other peoples agony. WAKE UP and stop giving the fat man more of your hard earned dollars. He eats well enough as we all can see.
2) Tell me how helping divide a country even more so than it already is with his latest filck a better place?
3) Tell me how making a film about a horrible day in a school did any good for anyone and how it changed the world? If anything it forced the parents and families to relive that horrible day again and again.
4) He only started standing up for the so-called unemployed and disenfranchised because he thought it would garner more votes for the bush haters. Ever heard of praying on the weak?

hes peeling off those dollar bills and slapping them down... All the way to the bank because its so easy to manipulate you.

my goodness.

1. it is precisely because of other people's agony that Moore makes movies -- he hopes he can affect political change through the most powerful popular medium of our time: filmmaking. you can disagree with the message, or the changes he wants to see, but you cannot disagree with either his right to do so, or with the sincerity of his intentions. yes, he's a bit of an ego show, but he's also dead serious about changing things. ... he's also a skillful enough filmmaker that if he wanted to make real money, he'd direct a feature starring Lindsay Lohan or something.

2. yes, we shouldn't ever question the power structure. we should do what Britney Spears says and just totally, like, trust our president to make the right decision. oh wait, we live in a democracy! and the price of democracy is eternal vigilance! you can disagree with Moore, but to criticize not what he says but the fact that he's saying something that rocks the boat, so to speak, is the antithesis of any modern, democratic society.

3. it got the nation talking about our culture of fear and how guns play into that. it was about the power of the NRA and how utterly crass they were to hold a gunshow in Denver a week or so after the slayings. it was about the sensationalistic nature of local news broadcasts and the "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality that fuels the sale of handguns.

4. "roger and me" which is both his best film and film most concerned with the plight of the working class came out in 1989. at that time, GWB was a failed businessman living off the breaks his poppy's buddies gave him in texas.

i've seen all of Moore's films, and find him alternately brilliant and irritating. but at least he's acting like a real citizen in a democracy and fighting back against what he doesn't agree with. if you don't like it, don't buy a movie ticket.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:54 PM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:57 PM
irriating?-yes.
entertaining? yes a little.
manipulating? absolutely.

db9
Old 11-09-2004, 01:41 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Yes, Michael Moore is irritating, but he's also a talented film-maker who is using his talent to promote change in this country. Anyone who gets out there and takes any sort of stand on hot-button issues of war and peace is going to catch a bunch of flack. Not everyone will like you. I know plenty of people around here hate Moore. That's no surprise and I have no problem with that. The guy is indeed controversial as hell. But honestly, I'm glad that there are people in this society who aren't afraid to be controversial and express their feelings.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:47 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Yes, Michael Moore is irritating, but he's also a talented film-maker who is using his talent to promote change in this country. Anyone who gets out there and takes any sort of stand on hot-button issues of war and peace is going to catch a bunch of flack. Not everyone will like you. I know plenty of people around here hate Moore. That's no surprise and I have no problem with that. The guy is indeed controversial as hell. But honestly, I'm glad that there are people in this society who aren't afraid to be controversial and express their feelings.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:49 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Quote:
Michael Moore is irritating, but he's also a talented film-maker who is using his talent to promote change in this country.
I agree entirely with that, thankyou Michael Moore for were it not for your zany conspiracy theories and dragging the democrats to the left there may have been a Kerry victory.

P.S. Thankyou very much for your endorsement of Hillary.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:10 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

I really don't think Michael Moore had anything to do with the election results. If anyone dragged the Democrats to the left, it was Howard Dean, not Michael Moore. The idea of a film changing the course of an election is pretty laughable IMO (my opinions are not really humble) And now Dean is seriously considering a bid for the chairmanship of the DNC. Of course that would knock him out of electoral politics, but if things go as I predict and Iraq goes to hell in a haybasket of religious extremism, some of his ideas might be attractive in four years, and meanwhile he might find us some more candidates.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:33 PM   #99
War Child

Michael Moore???

OH YEAH! That guy who gave the election to Bush...
Old 11-09-2004, 08:55 PM   #100
Acrobat

Well said, Irvine!!!

And please. Michael Moore, such the perfect scapegoat, yes? I haven't heard one democrat blame Michael Moore for Kerry not winning the election. So why are conservatives so quick to to place the blame on behalf of the democrats? You're not doing anyone any favors. First it was conservatives who were oh-so-worried that Michael Moore would pull people to the left with his film and take votes from Bush. So worried in fact, that the loudest cheers from the RNC came when Moore was being denounced. Now Michael Moore is being thanked because his "plan" to sway people to the left backfired and Bush won.

Sure people came out in droves to see Fahrenheit 9/11. It was unsettling for a lot of people who think Moore was actually a threat. Come on. Michael Moore was preaching to the choir by the time that film came out. Whether or not some of you think he's nothing more than a fat manipulative windbag, he is an alternative voice for people tired of the seeming one-sidedness we've been fed by the mainstream media over the past 4 years. I don't think a whole lot of minds were changed - as a matter of fact, minds about Moore were made up up long before Fahrenheit hit theaters.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:59 PM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:57 PM
I don't know what is funnier, MM being disowned by some of his former true believers or the backpedalling about F9/11 being a film to change an election.

This isn't to anybody specific but the way that the movie was being sold at the time and its treatment now - it's like a pariah film.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:41 AM   #102
War Child

Maybe Mike's next film will be the Ohio State University's "underhanded" recruitment of Ted Ginn, Jr. C'mon Mikey, there's a conspiracy there somewhere!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #103
Refugee

The arguments against Michael Moore thus far:
1) he's a windbag (what is this?)
2) he eats a lot
3) he's rich
4) he doesn't have integrity
5) he's silly
Therefore, his movies must contain nothing but lies and propaganda. Can anyone tell me how this conclusion follows from the premises?
The formula being used is:
a
+
b
+
c
=
z.....we're talking about simple logic here people. Please back up your claims with facts.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #104
Refugee

Forgive my spelling error.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:04 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
The arguments against Michael Moore thus far:
1) he's a windbag (what is this?)
2) he eats a lot
3) he's rich
4) he doesn't have integrity
5) he's silly
Therefore, his movies must contain nothing but lies and propaganda. Can anyone tell me how this conclusion follows from the premises?
The formula being used is:
a
+
b
+
c
=
z.....we're talking about simple logic here people. Please back up your claims with facts.
There are multiple threads about Moore. Go back and review for the facts.