Michael Moore - brilliant and uplifting - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #316
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I saw it yesterday. It's brilliant. He takes sick Americans to Cuba to get treatment for their illnesses, and they get it. He goes to France and Britain to check out their free health systems. They get free health care in those places. He wonders why we're not supposed to like the French. They have high taxes, but they do OK. There's not a chance in hell of us getting it with the current crowd in Washington, but maybe the next. We need another Revolution!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #317
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Today, I heard for the third time in the last 2 weeks someone say "I don't think everyone has the God given right to health insurance". WTF?!

And these were all apparently Christians, I just wonder what Bible they are reading...
and this is the REAL issue! In a country where everyone is supposed to be free and EQUAL, it is one of the LESS equal places in the world. How can someone say that this person deserves health care but NOT that person. How can someone's LIFE have a monitary value on it. PEople are really easy to point out flaws of other countries and religions, but are blind to see inwards.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #318
Blue Crack Addict

Exactly. How can anyone say "oh, they don't deserve health care, let them die". It's like saying "Let them eat cake".
Old 07-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #319
War Child

http://www.qubetv.tv/videos/detail/880
Old 07-15-2007, 07:32 AM   #320
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder who made that film?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:32 AM
just saw it with Memphis, and it's totally absorbing, though i was irritated by the rosey picture of other nation's health care system. when i lived in Belgium, i had a great experience. had a nasty strep throat once, went to the doctor, got a perscription, walked down the road, paid $20ish, then got to send in a rebate for the $20, and got a note saying that i should be out of work for the next 3 days. totally great. no waits at all.

but i've heard the horror stories from british friends about the NHS. and there's more, but no need to go into that here.

it's a very good film. and there's less of Moore-being-Moore, which is a good thing because he's such a polarizing figure now that he can only detract from his message.

i think what i took away from the film -- and i am a freelancer, so i have to purchaes my own insurance, and being a healthy young person, is just under $150 a month -- is that i need to damn well take good care of myself, eat right, exercise, live well, manage stress, deal with issues before they become problems, and do whatever i can in order to lessen my chances of developing serious medical issues later in life.

but i'm lucky. no cancer. no chronic diseases. i'm fit as a fiddle.

and i wonder, if it wasn't probably illegal to ask, i wonder if it could be determiend that it would be in a company's best interests to ask whether or not i'm gay and then deny me insurance based upon being more statistically at risk for HIV (despite the fact that i was always far more paranoid about safe sex than my straight counterparts).

i don't know what the answer is, but i do think there are things i can do, as an individual, to make things better at least for myself.

and, soon, i'll probably get to be on Memphis's spectacular employee healthcare. so, yay to that.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:06 AM   #322
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
http://www.qubetv.tv/videos/detail/880
Wow, very interesting.

dbs
Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 AM   #323
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Wow, very interesting.

dbs
that movie reminds me a lot of dbs posts; hypocritical, non factual, and missing context...
Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #324
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:32 AM
I read this on Pop Candy this morning-that's impressive for a movie about health care. If only it could have an equivalent impact. Maybe there's still hope. I guess Moore's still got it, I wonder what his next project will be.

"SiCKO," Michael Moore's highly acclaimed and entertaining expose of the American health care system, has just become the third highest grossing documentary of all time grossing $24.2 million domestically since it debuted in theaters on June 29th. "SiCKO," one of the most talked about films of the year, moved into third place taking the spot of previous record holder "An Inconvenient Truth" and behind Moore's previous film "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "March of the Penguins." The announcement was made today by Bob and Harvey Weinstein, co-chairmen of The Weinstein Company.