Message In A Bottle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Whether it's a miracle of sorts or just an amazing coincidence, what a story. Something to brighten the day.

http://209.236.225.83/54409ADJ/AntigoDailyJournal.taf?function=detail&Layout1_uid2=7484

Maggie Holbrook always thought it strange that the still waters of White Lake and not the flowing current of the nearby Wolf River was the vessel used to conceal the time capsules of area school children. That was until one of those little messages in a bottle floated back to the surface.

A note, cloaked inside an empty vanilla container and freed of the weight that had held it to the bottom, will soon take a spot on Holbrook's wall after washing up on shore early this spring. Eleven years ago it was written by her son, Joshua Baker, and found only a year after his death following a motor vehicle accident in California.

"I think he was just letting us know he was okay and to keep doing what we are doing," Holbrook said.

Baker, a U.S. Marine who died last February after returning home following a stint in the Middle East, was only 10-years-old when he penned the note as part of a school project.

"I still remember the day he wrote it," Holbrook said. "I couldn't understand why they threw it in the lake. No one would ever see it again. Now I know."

Scribed in black ink by a child who spent hours scouring out fishing holes with his father in their little blue boat, the words were simple and to the point.

My name is Josh Baker. I am 10. If you find this put it on the news. The date is 4/16/95.

The note was found April 21, 2006 and according to Holbrook, by quite remarkable circumstances.

Steve Lieder of Antigo, described as one of Baker's "best buddies," had been out on the lake when he met up with Joe Edelman and Dale Brown who were working on the shore line.

As the three men were chatting, one of them looked down, saw the vanilla bottle by his foot, picked it up and broke it open, finding the note inside.

"There it was, a little message in a bottle," Holbrook said. "And once they found out who it was from, they said 'find Maggie' and ran it right over to me."

Holbrook said she treasures the 11-year-old note and is in the process of having it preserved, making it suitable for framing.

"It's a pretty special memory," she said.

062106maggie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom