MERGED: You may want to get a barf bag + What is wrong with our youth?!? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:30 PM
What is wrong with our youth?!?

A 16-year-old disabled girl was punched and forced to engage in videotaped sexual acts with several boys in a high school auditorium as dozens of students watched, according to witnesses.

Authorities are investigating and no charges have been filed in the alleged attack last month at Mifflin High School. Four boys suspected of involvement were sent home and have not returned to class.

Also, the principal, Regina Crenshaw, was suspended and will be fired for not calling police, school officials said. And three assistant principals were suspended and will be reassigned to other schools.

Crenshaw had no comment Tuesday.

The girl was forced to perform oral sex on at least two boys, according to statements from school officials, obtained by The Columbus Dispatch.

Part of the alleged assault was videotaped by a student who had a camera for a school project.

School officials found the girl bleeding from the mouth. An assistant principal cautioned the girl's father against calling 911 to avoid media attention, the statements said. The girl's father called police.

Her father said the girl is developmentally disabled. A special education teacher said the teen has a severe speech impediment.

http://www.local6.com/news/4372049/detail.html

Old 04-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:00 PM
That is just horrific.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Old 04-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not sure which is more shocking - that the boys would do something like this or that the school didn't call the police.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:22 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I can't believe none of the students involved have been arrested. Its sickening
Old 04-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.

this is simply disgusting.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Quote:
California teen killed in alleged baseball bat attack

PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) — A 13-year-old pitcher was accused of clubbing a teenage friend to death with a baseball bat, moments after the friend apparently teased him at a concession stand following his baseball team's first loss of the season.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I always hear people say stuff like " when I was young.....". Well, I am damn sure that when I was young, we weren't pulling this kind of shit on defenseless people. Yes, totally sickening, not to mention the behaviour of the school itself.

deep, I posted that article in another thread before I read this story. We are living in scary times for our children.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
[B]I always hear people say stuff like " when I was young.....". Well, I am damn sure that when I was young, we weren't pulling this kind of shit on defenseless people. Yes, totally sickening, not to mention the behaviour of the school itself.
B]
People always say, "When I was young, in the good old days, things were better....". That is total BS. Different generations have to deal with different problems but it is the same emotions. Why do you think people still read Romeo and Juliet and the Odyssey today. True, the things children face these days are different from the things they faced in the past, but that doesn't mean that generations are getting progressively worse.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:00 PM
There have always been and will always be individuals like these boys who are forcing the sex act and it's appalling. But I find the fact that others just watched while doing nothing absolutely repulsive.

But to answer the question in the title: A big majority of what's wrong with a generation is the fault of the generation before. We need to start now, even if we don't have children of our own, to make a difference in this world.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
California teen killed in alleged baseball bat attack

PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) — A 13-year-old pitcher was accused of clubbing a teenage friend to death with a baseball bat, moments after the friend apparently teased him at a concession stand following his baseball team's first loss of the season.
Call me crazy, but I believe this type of behaviour (assuming the child was otherwise "normal") is the direct result of the whole self-esteem bullshit that school administrators are demanding be enforced. You know - the ole' "Don't fail Johnny with his substandard grades and poor attendance records because holding him back a year will embarrass him and cause him to feel bad about himself". Tough shit...the sooner you learn to handle disappointment and personal set-backs, the sooner you become equipped to take on the world. How else do you explain a 13-yr old with the kind of rage it takes to beat another human being to death? Maybe I'm too pragmatic or even cynical, but being teased because you lost your first ballgame of the season wouldn't seem a likely reason to bludgeon a friend TO DEATH (!) if you'd been taught early on that life isn't always delivered to your specifications.

And no, I don't have any children of my own, but that shouldn't mean that I don't get a say in how the next generation's being brought up -- these kids will be the ones taking care of us when we're in the Old Folk's Home. Do YOU want to be surrounded by a pack of heartless bastards with emotional hair-triggers and entitlement issues?!?!?? I know I don't.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14

People always say, "When I was young, in the good old days, things were better....". That is total BS. Different generations have to deal with different problems but it is the same emotions. Why do you think people still read Romeo and Juliet and the Odyssey today. True, the things children face these days are different from the things they faced in the past, but that doesn't mean that generations are getting progressively worse.
I don't mean to suggest that my generation was better but many of the actions of today's kids never happened in my day. We had arson, suicide, bullying, stealing and all that but there are some things going on today which are just unfathomable. I think the basic root of the problems are still the same...fitting in, socializing with the opposite sex, family problems, peer pressure, bullying, but it seems that some of the solutions are extreme. I have no idea how to make things better so don't ask me.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl

Call me crazy, but I believe this type of behaviour (assuming the child was otherwise "normal") is the direct result of the whole self-esteem bullshit that school administrators are demanding be enforced. You know - the ole' "Don't fail Johnny with his substandard grades and poor attendance records because holding him back a year will embarrass him and cause him to feel bad about himself". Tough shit...the sooner you learn to handle disappointment and personal set-backs, the sooner you become equipped to take on the world. How else do you explain a 13-yr old with the kind of rage it takes to beat another human being to death? Maybe I'm too pragmatic or even cynical, but being teased because you lost your first ballgame of the season wouldn't seem a likely reason to bludgeon a friend TO DEATH (!) if you'd been taught early on that life isn't always delivered to our specifications.
100 - that's the percentage I agree with you.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Thanks, 80s... nice to see that even if I'm in the minority, I'm not completely alone on this.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:

Call me crazy, but I believe this type of behaviour (assuming the child was otherwise "normal") is the direct result of the whole self-esteem bullshit that school administrators are demanding be enforced. You know - the ole' "Don't fail Johnny with his substandard grades and poor attendance records because holding him back a year will embarrass him and cause him to feel bad about himself". Tough shit...the sooner you learn to handle disappointment and personal set-backs, the sooner you become equipped to take on the world.
Do we know if this child wasn't a good student, do we know if he's never dealt with set backs?
Quote:

How else do you explain a 13-yr old with the kind of rage it takes to beat another human being to death? Maybe I'm too pragmatic or even cynical, but being teased because you lost your first ballgame of the season wouldn't seem a likely reason to bludgeon a friend TO DEATH (!) if you'd been taught early on that life isn't always delivered to your specifications.

I can think of a lot of other reasons. An abused child, mental issues, etc.