MERGED (yet again): All Gay Marriage Discussion Here Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say that my post about human rights abuses was in relation to the suggestion that women were/are being abused in polygamous relationships. ie the polygamy and group marriage thread that this thread has become (dis)entangled with.

I dont believe anyone has suggested homosexual relationships involve a large scale abuse of human rights.

Bizarrely, my post seems to almost fit in this thread too. :ohmy:

Just wanted to clarify that in case anyone thought I was a bigger rambling twit than I actually am. :|

Last edited:
paxetaurora said:
Which leads me to wonder, once again, why Dershowitz's solution cannot be used; that is, call ALL legal unions "civil unions," regardless of whether the participants are gay or straight, and leave the question of *marriage* to the churches.
:up:

p.s.: beli, I still sort of like you anyways :D

Angela Harlem said:

This topic is old in this forum, and even older and larger in real life. But in here, I keep getting the feeling there is some definite resistance to the idea of gay marriage and yet due to fear of speaking an unfavourable view, or perhaps from sheer lack of valid basis, no good arguments are ever put forward as to why these marriages cannot be allowed. People hedge, bring in convoluted bible passages which are so prone to interpretation no one can even agree on what an otherwise mutual faith is wanting and so on.

Hello....I think there has been some good arguments as to why...

If you want I will switch sides. I have no problem arguing unpopular positions.

That is why I skipped the religious argument over sin. A marriage does not prevent one from sinning!

Peace

link to essay

E S S A Y
Why The M Word Matters To Me
Only marriage can bring a gay person home
By ANDREW SULLIVAN

Monday, Feb. 16, 2004
As a child, I had no idea what homosexuality was. I grew up in a traditional home ? Catholic, conservative, middle class. Life was relatively simple: education, work, family. I was raised to aim high in life, even though my parents hadn't gone to college. But one thing was instilled in me. What mattered was not how far you went in life, how much money you earned, how big a name you made for yourself. What really mattered was family and the love you had for one another. The most important day of your life was not graduation from college or your first day at work or a raise or even your first house. The most important day of your life was when you got married. It was on that day that all your friends and all your family got together to celebrate the most important thing in life: your happiness ? your ability to make a new home, to form a new but connected family, to find love that put everything else into perspective.

But as I grew older, I found that this was somehow not available to me. I didn't feel the things for girls that my peers did. All the emotions and social rituals and bonding of teenage heterosexual life eluded me. I didn't know why. No one explained it. My emotional bonds to other boys were one-sided; each time I felt myself falling in love, they sensed it, pushed it away. I didn't and couldn't blame them. I got along fine with my buds in a nonemotional context, but something was awry, something not right. I came to know almost instinctively that I would never be a part of my family the way my siblings might one day be. The love I had inside me was unmentionable, anathema. I remember writing in my teenage journal one day, "I'm a professional human being. But what do I do in my private life?"

I never discussed my real life. I couldn't date girls and so immersed myself in schoolwork, the debate team, school plays, anything to give me an excuse not to confront reality. When I looked toward the years ahead, I couldn't see a future. There was just a void. Was I going to be alone my whole life? Would I ever have a most important day in my life? It seemed impossible, a negation, an undoing. To be a full part of my family, I had to somehow not be me. So, like many other gay teens, I withdrew, became neurotic, depressed, at times close to suicidal. I shut myself in my room with my books night after night while my peers developed the skills needed to form real relationships and loves. In wounded pride, I even voiced a rejection of family and marriage. It was the only way I could explain my isolation.

It took years for me to realize that I was gay, years more to tell others and more time yet to form any kind of stable emotional bond with another man. Because my sexuality had emerged in solitude ? and without any link to the idea of an actual relationship ? it was hard later to reconnect sex to love and self-esteem. It still is. But I persevered, each relationship slowly growing longer than the last, learning in my 20s and 30s what my straight friends had found out in their teens. But even then my parents and friends never asked the question they would have asked automatically if I were straight: So, when are you going to get married? When will we be able to celebrate it and affirm it and support it? In fact, no one ? no one ? has yet asked me that question.

When people talk about gay marriage, they miss the point. This isn't about gay marriage. It's about marriage. It's about family. It's about love. It isn't about religion. It's about civil marriage licenses. Churches can and should have the right to say no to marriage for gays in their congregations, just as Catholics say no to divorce, but divorce is still a civil option. These family values are not options for a happy and stable life. They are necessities. Putting gay relationships in some other category ? civil unions, domestic partnerships, whatever ? may alleviate real human needs, but by their very euphemism, by their very separateness, they actually build a wall between gay people and their families. They put back the barrier many of us have spent a lifetime trying to erase.

It's too late for me to undo my past. But I want above everything else to remember a young kid out there who may even be reading this now. I want to let him know that he doesn't have to choose between himself and his family anymore. I want him to know that his love has dignity, that he does indeed have a future as a full and equal part of the human race. Only marriage will do that. Only marriage can bring him home.

From the Feb. 16, 2004 issue of TIME magazine

Dreadsox said:

Hello....I think there has been some good arguments as to why...

If you want I will switch sides. I have no problem arguing unpopular positions.

That is why I skipped the religious argument over sin. A marriage does not prevent one from sinning!

Peace

What, a few based on someone's religious beliefs?

Please Dread. Lets do better than this. We all know Christianity and Catholicism is not for everyone. We all know not everyone follows a religion of any kind. The whole religious debate is complete and utter bullshit because IT DOES NOT FIT EVERYONE.
Show me how faith is licence to dictate and control the life of someone else. How pious of those who do this.

Legally and speaking from a societal level, where are the good sound arguments against?

I challenge again, everyone against it to speak out, don't use the bible. There are no good arguments as to why in here. It is hinted that there is opposition, yet somehow no one steps up and takes the plunge. Why is this? Because of fear of reprisal? Because deep down those people know their arguments are pretty half arsed?
Who knows.
Who cares.
Don't tell me this is a bad idea unless you can back it up.

*general response, not to you specifically Dread even though I said your name...*

Angela Harlem said:

What, a few based on someone's religious beliefs?

Please Dread. Lets do better than this. We all know Christianity and Catholicism is not for everyone. We all know not everyone follows a religion of any kind. The whole religious debate is complete and utter bullshit because IT DOES NOT FIT EVERYONE.
Show me how faith is licence to dictate and control the life of someone else. How pious of those who do this.

Legally and speaking from a societal level, where are the good sound arguments against?

I challenge again, everyone against it to speak out, don't use the bible. There are no good arguments as to why in here. It is hinted that there is opposition, yet somehow no one steps up and takes the plunge. Why is this? Because of fear of reprisal? Because deep down those people know their arguments are pretty half arsed?
Who knows.
Who cares.
Don't tell me this is a bad idea unless you can back it up.

*general response, not to you specifically Dread even though I said your name...*

This makes me laugh....

OK....why are people quiet on this was your original question.....I think i have figured it out.

While you may find the religious aspects of this complete and utter bullshit.....others do not. If I happened to be someone of deep faith, with strong religious beliefs, I would pretty much not post in here based on your statements above.

To you it is bullshit, but to them, it is not.

The polls tonight show that there is not even CLOSE to a majority of Americans in support of Gay/Lesbian Marriage. Those in favor are outnumbered by a two to one margin.

Again, pax's article is not a bad solution.

Good grief....I am too tired for this.

Dreadsox said:

The polls tonight show that there is not even CLOSE to a majority of Americans in support of Gay/Lesbian Marriage. Those in favor are outnumbered by a two to one margin.

That's why I appreciate the fact that the United States is a Republic, not a Democracy.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." [Ayn Rand]

Dread you mistook what I said. Or I didn't clarify it well enough. If I didn't, apologies.
I am not trying to imply religion is bull. Nor are people's views necessarily. Why should though, aspects of individual's personal faith be a basis for a national standard, so to speak? That is bull. What about those who don't follow religion or even believe in God?
You specifically are playing devils advocate I know as you personally think marriage should be for any 2 consenting adults. But those who aren't, what is their basis for saying their own religious views are so right it should cover everyone?

I dont believe in polls. The one you quote indicates a sad state of affairs I feel. To deny these people rights which we all take for granted is disappointing to say the least.

:sigh:

i don't think what the majority wants should have a bearing on this kind of legislation. a majority of the people used to be for segregation, against womens suffrage, etc. I fear were we would be today if the courts hadn't gone against popular opinion on these matters.

There's also the economic reality. Who wants to deal with an entity that is perceived as bigoted?

Repeal Of Anti-Gay Measure Heads Toward Vote

(Cincinnati, Ohio) Cincinnati LGBT community leaders said Monday that they have collected enough signatures to force a referendum to repeal a city charter amendment that made Cincinnati the only U.S. city to ban the enactment or enforcement of gay-rights laws.

The amendment was approved by 62 percent of voters in 1993.

Citizens to Restore Fairness said it has collected about 13,000 signatures, more than double the number required to put the issue on the ballot.

Last week, Cincinnati mayor Charlie Luken called for the repeal of the law.

"Times and attitudes have changed, and that Cincinnati should rescind the amendment in the interests of showing tolerance and supporting diversity," Luken said in his State of the City address to council.

Tourism officials say the amendment has cost Cincinnati more than $64 million because organizations concerned that the city is unfriendly to gays have moved conventions elsewhere.

Supporters of the measure have pledged to fight any repeal effort. Phil Burress, chairman of the group Equal Rights, Not Special Rights, said there is no room for "special rights" in Cincinnati.

And I love how bigots like Mr. Burress interpret equal rights for gays as "special rights" and downright discrimination as "equal rights." No wonder that people with an actual college education see through this illogic, and, by a clear majority, favor gay marriage.

Melon

Last edited:
ILuvLarryMullen said:
i don't think what the majority wants should have a bearing on this kind of legislation. a majority of the people used to be for segregation, against womens suffrage, etc. I fear were we would be today if the courts hadn't gone against popular opinion on these matters.

Exactly! Just because the majority says something is wrong, that doesn't automatically mean it is.

And ditto Angela's post, too. Whenever it comes to these kinds of debates, people have heard the religious reasons time and time again. It'd be nice to try and hear some non-religious arguments against homosexuality for once, see if there happens to be any valid non-religious reasons for why homosexuals shouldn't marry.

Besides, while I understand religion is very important to a lot of people...I just feel that it never hurts to question this stuff. Perhaps some people out there have, and have still come to these conclusions. But a lot of people I've debated this with have pretty much shown that they never questioned their religion on this kind of thing, that they figure that since their religion says this is the way it is, then that's that. And that kinda concerns me, personally.

Angela

Another thing: why, if gays marrying would destroy the "sanctity of marriage," is there not a similar uproar about, say, banning quickie marriages and imposing penalties for adultery? I know I'm not alone in saying that Britney Spears' "marriage," for example, made a mockery of the institution much more than two men or two women who have loved each other for a long time deciding to spend the rest of their lives together.

To speak in the terms of analytic philosophy: is "sanctity" either a necessary or a sufficient condition for marriage *as our society has come to understand it*?

For starters, we'd need to define "sanctity." Let's say that for a marriage to possess "sanctity," it would have to entail fidelity on the part of both partners, a relationsip entered into freely and without coercion, a sincere intent to continue this relationship in the future, and a desire for the help and love of God and/or the community to help sustain the relationship. As far as I can remember, being as I've attended a number of Catholic weddings (more Catholic weddings than any other, as I have a sort of standing engagement at a Catholic church as a wedding cantor and soloist for couples who don't provide their own), this is patterned after the questions the priest asks a couple just before he marries them.

So, basically, sanctity would involve: fidelity, a relationship chosen freely by both partners, a sincere intent to continue the relationship (presumably until death), and the desire for the love and help of God and/or the community.

The first question: is sanctity *necessary*? Let us use our friend Britney as an example. Britney and her fellow Jason were married in accordance with the law of the state of Nevada (the only state, need I remind you, which requires no waiting period for marriage licenses). And let us be charitable. It is indeed possible, indeed even likely, that from the time Britney and Jason began their relationship, they were faithful to each other. Let us assume that the fidelity condition holds. Next, there is no evidence that either Britney or Jason was coerced into the relationship. The second condition of freedom also holds. The third condition, the intent to continue the relationship, seems a bit murky. Being as the marriage was annulled less than three days later, we can assume that there was not a serious intent to continue the relationship. The intent to continue condition, then, does not hold. The fourth condition, the desire for the love and support of God and/or the community, may or may not hold. We do not know if Britney and Jason prayed, for example, before their wedding. We do not know if they had friends or family present. So the fourth condition may or may not hold. But the third condition clearly does not. Thus the "sanctity" of Britney and Jason's marriage may certainly be called into question. Yet they were married in full accordance with the laws of the state of Nevada. Thus we may conclude that "sanctity" is not a necessary condition of legal marriages. (This is to say nothing of church marriages, where individual faiths and churches are free to set their own guidelines for the conditions under which weddings may take place A Catholic priest, for example, certainly would not have married Britney and Jason without lengthy premarital counseling, sometimes called "pre-Cana" classes.)

Next: is sanctity a *sufficient* condition for marriage? That is, if a relationship exhibits fidelity, a freely chosen state for both partners, the desire to continue the relationship in the future, and the desire for the love and help of God and/or the community in sustaining the relationship, is it, then, a marriage? One might be inclined to say yes. But this is also untrue.

Consider, for example, persons who enter the religious life. A Catholic priest (sorry for all the Catholic examples, but my background is predominantly Catholic) is said to be "married" to the Church. He may be faithful to that relationship. He may not have been coerced to become a priest, and the Church may not have been coerced to accept him as a priest; that is, he freely chose to become a priest (the issue of vocation aside--he could have chosen to ignore the voaction), and the Church freely chose to ordain him as such. He may wish to remain a priest for the rest of his life. And when a priest is ordained, the people are beseeched to support him in his ministry, and the Holy Spirit is invoked to help him as well. Yet, for legal purposes, this man is not called "married." He files his taxes, say, as a single person. No matter how wonderful his relationship with the Church might be, the law regards Father Whoever as a single person because he has not entered into a relationship recognized by the law. Thus those four conditions of "sanctity" do not hold.

THUS, "sanctity" is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for LEGAL marriage. Again, churches/faiths are free to make their own choices about unions they prefer to recognize.

One possible objection to my argument: under the definition of "sanctity," one might also add the intention (and indeed innate biological ability, which only a heterosexual couple would have) to begin and sustain a family. Indeed, in a Catholic wedding, this is a question the priest asks ("Will you accept children gratefully as a gift from God?" I believe is the correct wording). However, I left this condition out due to the fact that the marriages of infertile, childless couples are still recognized as legitimate even in the Catholic tradition (even if those of couples who are voluntarily childless might be questioned). Thus the condition of children cannot be applied.

I realize that there remain arguments for not compelling churches to recognize gay marriages. I agree that each church and faith tradition is free to bless and recognize only the unions they choose. But legally, there have STILL been NO compelling arguments against allowing gays to marry. And I think I've done a decent job of deconstructing the philosophical argument. But like any good philosopher, I welcome debate. ;)

Last edited:
Repeal Of Anti-Gay Measure Heads Toward Vote

(Cincinnati, Ohio) Cincinnati LGBT community leaders said Monday that they have collected enough signatures to force a referendum to repeal a city charter amendment that made Cincinnati the only U.S. city to ban the enactment or enforcement of gay-rights laws.

However Ohio just signed a law banning gay marriage last week, So while Cinci ddoesn't beleive in discrimination, such as employment, housing, ect. Marriage is out.

I am sorry I live in such a restrictive state (OT one who also authorized concealed weapons carrying against every policing force in the state).

I agree with many of you, I haven't seen one argument other than religious based to ban same-sex marriage.

paxetaurora said:
One possible objection to my argument: under the definition of "sanctity," one might also add the intention (and indeed innate biological ability, which only a heterosexual couple would have) to begin and sustain a family. Indeed, in a Catholic wedding, this is a question the priest asks ("Will you accept children gratefully as a gift from God?" I believe is the correct wording). However, I left this condition out due to the fact that the marriages of infertile, childless couples are still recognized as legitimate even in the Catholic tradition (even if those of couples who are voluntarily childless might be questioned). Thus the condition of children cannot be applied.

Being a former heavy duty practicing Catholic.....I think you did an excellent job explaining yourself.

The condition of children should NOT be applied. And you also have done an excellent job here.

Pat Robertson on TV the other night said that marriage was for having children and when two homosexuals produced a child together than he would change his mind on this situation. I wanted to VOMIT.

Excellent post PAX.

Dreadsox said:

Pat Robertson on TV the other night said that marriage was for having children and when two homosexuals produced a child together than he would change his mind on this situation.

I wonder what his thoughts are on older couples who marry with no intention of having any more children? Say, those who enter into second marriages after their first spouse has dies.

Cool, paxetaurora. :). It's a fine argument to me.

In regards to the Pat Robertson comment...we have tons of people roaming this world as it is, if a few couples out there don't bring children into the world, I think we'll all still be okay. Why do people care so much whether or not a couple continues on the human race? What business is it of theirs?

Besides, we have so many orphaned children in this world that we could allow homosexual couples to take in and love and care for-that's just as good a family as any other. I mean, not to turn this into a debate on another issue entirely, but pro-life people always talk about adoption being the best choice, and yet some of those same pro-lifers refuse to allow homosexuals to adopt children. :huh: :eyebrow:.

Angela

Dreadsox said:

While you may find the religious aspects of this complete and utter bullshit.....others do not. If I happened to be someone of deep faith, with strong religious beliefs, I would pretty much not post in here based on your statements above.

Yeah, calling my beliefs bullshit does REALLY rub me the wrong way, but I'm going to let it go this time because no matter what I personally believe about homosexuality, I do NOT believe that there are any legal reasons why homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. I'll admit, all of my arguements either way are directly or indirectly based on religion. For that reason, I've never came out and said what I believe about this issue, b/c it's obvious that the majority here will assume my religious beliefs are "bullshit" :shrug:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yeah, calling my beliefs bullshit does REALLY rub me the wrong way

Maybe now you can empathize with homosexuals in this nation who have to deal with this on a regular basis. You turn off your computer, and you can move on. But when you are constantly bombarded with religious organizations spreading lies about who you are--yes, that's right, LIES--then maybe you can see where the "angry minority" stereotype comes from.

but I'm going to let it go this time because no matter what I personally believe about homosexuality, I do NOT believe that there are any legal reasons why homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. I'll admit, all of my arguements either way are directly or indirectly based on religion.

I can admire your honesty, even if I disagree with your conclusion. At the very least, you're more honest than most. I'd rather people just say, "I disagree, due to my beliefs on the Bible," rather than make LIES about all homosexuals being pedophiles or whatever.

For that reason, I've never came out and said what I believe about this issue, b/c it's obvious that the majority here will assume my religious beliefs are "bullshit" :shrug:

Join the club. My religious beliefs are hardly conventional.

Melon

of course gays should be allowed to marry each other...if its real love and u wanna spend ur life together go for it.....

dont let the tyranny of tradition get in your way....and that bloody bible....

im not gay, i dont have any gay mates or anything like that, but if 2 gays wanna get married let them,

To be fair it's not any of the church or the governments business. Only the 2 people who wanna get married matter in this case.

These bloody moronic traditionalists trying to run everybody's lives....they should get over themselves and get in touch with modern times and reality.

melon said:

Maybe now you can empathize with homosexuals in this nation who have to deal with this on a regular basis. You turn off your computer, and you can move on. But when you are constantly bombarded with religious organizations spreading lies about who you are--yes, that's right, LIES--then maybe you can see where the "angry minority" stereotype comes from.

I can admire your honesty, even if I disagree with your conclusion. At the very least, you're more honest than most. I'd rather people just say, "I disagree, due to my beliefs on the Bible," rather than make LIES about all homosexuals being pedophiles or whatever.

Melon

OK, this is really off topic but I found this post impossible to read b/c my name is Lies, lol! Now I'll go back and read it for serious....

OK, this is really off topic but I found this post impossible to read b/c my name is Lies, lol! Now I'll go back and read it for serious....

I really didn't know that. :p

Melon

melon said:

What conclusion did you disagree with? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

Anyway, I'd never spread lies about homosexuals (and I know you're not accusing me of that). I don't know and homosexuals and I've never met a gay person that gave me any reason to believe that a gay person is somehow less of a person than me just because I'm straight. My religious beliefs are what lead me to believe what I believe about homosexuality, it doesn't mean I think straight people are better people or people more fit for marriage.

What conclusion did you disagree with? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

Disagreeing with gay marriage.

Melon

melon said:

Disagreeing with gay marriage.

Melon

Well, I won't say whether I agree with it or not b/c I don't think it matters to this arguement. I think the discussion works better without people trying to change each other's minds or judging people based on their beliefs and then calling those beliefs "bullshit".

melon said:

Melon

I can officially marry people in MA. I have only presided over a renewal of marriage vows. I think I may have broken a Catholic rule with my ordination. Not sure though, maybe I will confess it. I had someone request that I do their wedding, however, I was not certain that they were good for each other...LOL

anyways....I am thinking of advertising.....and for a donation to AIDS Charities or something of the sort, I would perform the marriage.

I am certainly....in trouble with the church if I did that.

Dreadsox said:

I can officially marry people in MA. I have only presided over a renewal of marriage vows. I think I may have broken a Catholic rule with my ordination. Not sure though, maybe I will confess it. I had someone request that I do their wedding, however, I was not certain that they were good for each other...LOL

anyways....I am thinking of advertising.....and for a donation to AIDS Charities or something of the sort, I would perform the marriage.

I am certainly....in trouble with the church if I did that.

You're such a rebel.

No seriously that's cool. If I ever changed my view of marriage and got remarried, I'd ask you to do the ceremony...of course I'd have to move...so maybe not.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom