MERGED (yet again): All Gay Marriage Discussion Here Please - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2004, 07:53 PM   #616
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I think the pope as well as God know this had to do with the election more than anything....

but slant it the way you want
Personally I think the pope is too old to understand anything.

Old 07-14-2004, 07:50 PM   #617
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Senate Scuttles Amendment Banning Same-Sex Marriage

The Senate voted today to block a White House-backed constitutional amendment to bar same-sex marriages, dooming its prospects for approval by Congress this year but ensuring it an emotionally-charged role during campaigns this fall.
The vote by the Republican-controlled Senate amounted to an embarrassing defeat for President Bush and conservative leaders who had pushed hard for approval of the amendment as a way of protecting traditional marriage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jul14.html

Old 07-14-2004, 07:55 PM   #618
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:38 PM
The Senate did not vote against the amendment. They failed to approve a procedural motion (requiring approval of 60 senators) that would require a vote. This way, certain politicians can play both sides of the fence.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:13 PM   #619
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 AM
http://www.hrc.org/Template.cfm?Sec...tentDisplay.cfm

For Immediate Release:
Wednesday, July 14, 2004

POLITICS OF DIVISION FAILS IN SENATE

Federal Marriage Amendment defeated by a vote of 48-50

'This was an attempt to divide Americans that backfired and divided Republicans,' said HRC President Cheryl Jacques.

WASHINGTON — By a stunning bipartisan vote of 48 to 50, the Senate today rejected the Federal Marriage Amendment. This was a crucial victory sending a strong message in Washington and throughout America that politics of distraction will fail. The 48 senators who backed this divisive amendment couldn’t even muster a simple majority.

“This was an attempt to divide Americans that backfired and divided Republicans,” said Cheryl Jacques, president of the Human Rights Campaign.

The defeat of the FMA occurred following a stunning week on Capitol Hill. After a year of monopolizing precious Senate time on Colorado Republican Sen. Wayne Allard’s Federal Marriage Amendment, the Republican leadership retreated.

“Faced with an embarrassing defeat, the Senate leadership rejected an up or down vote on the Federal Marriage Amendment,” added Jacques. “This debate has always been about politics and undermining the Constitution is their tool.”

Every poll shows the American people want Congress focused on issues like rising health care costs, the hemorrhaging of jobs and the war in Iraq. Same-sex marriage and the Federal Marriage Amendment rank last on the list.

“The optimism and fairness of the American people will prevail,” added Jacques.

The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender political organization with members throughout the country. It effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign support and educates the public to ensure that LGBT Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in the community.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:31 PM   #620
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:38 AM
You know, I think I heard the funniest argument yet. A Texas Republican equated allowing gay marriage to allowing someone to marry a box turtle. I wonder where all these conservatives get ideas to fuck animals? I say this...if Republicans are suppressing their urges to divorce their spouses and profess their undying love to various species of the animal kingdom, I say come out of the closet! Do Republicans have special urges that liberals merely do not understand? Does debating gay marriage bring out the GOP's animal urges? Does Sen. Allard have a secret he's been holding inside? Has he been having an affair with that Texas Republican's box turtle?????!!!!! I say to all you Republicans out there with urges to fuck animals, go for it! I won't understand it, certainly, and neither will anyone else, except maybe those Asian bikini babes with elephants...but, hey....who am I to stand in your way?

Hey kids...this is why you need to go to school and get a higher education, because you don't want to be caught dead making some dumbass statements like our "honorable" Congressmen have been making. These will be good ones for the history books, right next to comments that racists made in support of segregation. If they had taken a class in logic, they'd realize that their argument doesn't hold water. To our Congressmen, I give you this challenge: produce me these supposed people who sincerely wish to marry animals!

Melon
Old 07-15-2004, 12:15 AM   #621
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
This way, certain politicians can play both sides of the fence.
interesting choice of words...
Old 07-15-2004, 05:44 AM   #622
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
LOL, well said, melon. I've never understood that whole comparison of gay marriage to marrying animals, either. Hello, animals can't consent to a marriage. Therefore, any attempt to legalize one (which is highly unlikely to happen, because most people in this world have no desire to marry animals to begin with), wouldn't work.

Yeah. It's just stupid, those comparisons.

Anywho...the ban's been rejected. Thank god. No reason it should've even been considered.

Angela
Old 07-15-2004, 11:21 AM   #623
Blue Crack Addict

Yet you have two presidential candidates who are opposed to gay marriage.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:59 AM   #624
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:38 AM
Yes, but one who feels it should be banned outright under the Constitution and another who feels it should be left to the states. There's a big difference there.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #625
Blue Crack Addict

Not to the person denied marriage.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:13 PM   #626
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, true enough. But with allowing civil unions, there's at least some hope for the near future, rather than having to contend with rolling back a Constitutional amendment as well as securing basic legal protections for same-sex unions.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:44 PM   #627
Blue Crack Addict

Civil unions have always been a creature of state law. It doesn't make sense, however, to have "marriage" defined differently state to state.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #628
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:38 AM
I have a thread on this subject in my forum, where I have a specific vitriol for good old "liberal" Sen. Tom Daschle. Trust me...it isn't as if I think the Democratic Party is really on my side; they're just the buffer between the knuckle draggers who lead the GOP, who, seemingly, have a fixation with sex acts with box turtles. I think the GOP needs a psychological examination. The Democrats just need to regrow their backbone; they haven't had one since 1968.

Melon
Old 07-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #629
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I found out that both the senators from my state, along with one of the two from my old state, supported the amendment. .

Angela
Old 07-15-2004, 09:37 PM   #630
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Both Sens. from PA did, but Sen. Santorum has already been taken care of, as anyone who is reads Savage Love on a regular basis knows.

Join Amnesty.