MERGED (yet again): All Gay Marriage Discussion Here Please - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2004, 08:32 AM   #586
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Um, hi.
I did not make that post.
I hope you were not offended.
No, I wasn't offended paxetaurora, but I was confused..knowing the way you are around here, I didn't think you would ever say anything like that..but I just jokingly went along w/ it, even though the post didn't make sense to me

I'd like to know what happened though

Old 05-24-2004, 12:20 PM   #587
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:53 PM
We're not sure.

Elvis is working on it.

Thanks for understanding. If you have any other questions, please e-mail me; I'd rather stay on the original topic in this thread.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:40 PM   #588
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
2 cents from Massachusetts...

Love is love is love.

Some need to be reminded God is Love, Not Hate.

Proud of my state for finally allowing equal access, and standing up to its carpetbagging "governor" from Utah.

Basic rights for all. It's about friggin time.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #589
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

What is the story about Romney? Could you elaborate?

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #590
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
What is the story about Romney? Could you elaborate?
well, how so? how did he get elected? or what's his friggin problem? or all of the above?
Old 05-24-2004, 03:04 PM   #591
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

All of the above, how about?

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:20 PM   #592
ONE
love, blood, life

Romney has been called a carpetbagger because he lived in Utah for a few years while working on the olympics. He returned home to MA to run for Governor. He ran for Senate almost 10 years (Maybe less) against Teddy "Water under the Bridge" Kennedy.

Because he was gone, many people felt he should not have been allowed to run, including the sitting female Republican Governor who was forced to drop out because the republicans were not going to support her at the convention.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #593
Refugee

Romney pulled a lot of rude tricks, including the fact that for the time period he _claimed_ he'd been living in Belmont, MA, his tax papers indicated he'd in fact declared Utah his primary residence for that time.

He bullied Jane Swift out of the race altogether.

His win came in part because the Dems ran a raggedy campaign and put forth a candidate in whom there was little to no faith among the voters.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #594
ONE
love, blood, life

The Dems ran the candidate that won the nomination. The State has elected Republican governors for over ten years now. Weld, Celluci, Romney.

The Republican Convention nominated him because he was the best candidate. Jane Swift had a scandal or two that was not going to help.

The Dems elected the most qulaified person running. She lost fair and square.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:03 PM   #595
Refugee

eh, I think the Dems blew it by not backing Birmingham a little stronger...

mind you I'm not a Democrat so in the end I dislike most parties pretty much equally...
I've been registered to vote but "unaffiliated" all along...

I lived in Western Mass too long to have any sympathy for Swift; she was an idiot when she was the Great Barrington rep and she was still an idiot as Lt. and Acting Governor.

But back to our own "Slick Willy", or Willard, as his given name shows, Romney....
Old 05-27-2004, 04:18 PM   #596
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:53 AM

Back on topic with an article from The Washington Post:

Quote:
As gay marriage emerges as an issue in the 2004 U.S. presidential election, Australia and Canada share America's preoccupation with the issue, according to leading online news sites. In both countries, the issue divides public opinion and influences party politics. But in much of the rest of the world, the issue of gay marriage is only just beginning to surface.
Quote:
The debate in Australia most closely resembles the controversy in America. Like President Bush, Prime Minister John Howard, leader of a conservative coalition, strongly opposes gay marriage. Like the U.S. Democrats, the more liberal Labor party is divided.
And from another article:

Quote:
In a move homosexual rights activists have called a "pre-emptive strike against gay marriage," Australian Prime Minister John Howard is considering changing laws to prevent Australian courts from recognizing same-sex unions that are solemnized abroad.
Seems like the Iraq issue is not the only reason John Howard needs to get his ass kicked.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:41 PM   #597
ONE
love, blood, life

1.2%. Remember that figure, because in Belgium, a year after they legalized same-sex marriage, that is the number of same-sex marriages performed in relation to the number of total marriages performed in the nation. Thus, 98.8% of marriages in Belgium were still performed by heterosexual couples.

So here America is, making a stink about 1.2% marriages. Compare that to the 50% of marriages that end in divorce; yet, there is no constitutional amendment to stop that. Oh no...how dare heterosexuals be inconvenienced?

As usual, this is a conservative wedge issue, not so different from their previous wedge issue involving race, or when they tried to pass an amendment banning flag burning; there had been two flags burned over the past decade. I wish America and the rest of the world would wake up--same-sex marriage doesn't affect them, just like the vast majority of heterosexual marriages don't affect me either, merely because I do not know, nor will I know even a small fraction of the 300+ million people who live here in the U.S. Let people live and let live. It is, after all, about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...or so they say.

People are just really dumb I guess.

Melon
Old 05-31-2004, 10:48 PM   #598
The Fly

*pops head in* My goodness, there are a lot of posts here. So here's just another opinion......

I'm a really serious, active ally. My primary argument for gay marriage is not the whole "it doesn't affect you" thing- though that's quite valid. People in LGBT (and A) community are REAL PEOPLE who deserve equal rights. The evidence that sexuality is genetic is increasing. I think it's shameful that people point the finger at gays and call them disgusting and immoral. People said that about desegregation and interracial marriage years ago, didn't they? And so that's how I view the struggle for gay rights- it's like the battle for civil rights. In my time, gay marriage will be legalized, just as desegragation and interracial marriage were. It just takes activism and patience.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:16 AM   #599
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NameOfLove19
The evidence that sexuality is genetic is increasing.
Who cares if it's genetic or not!? I believe it is, but would homosexuality somehow be worse if it was nurture instead of nature? I really really don't understand why it would matter.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:29 AM   #600
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:53 PM
I found this little quote... Thought you guys might love it. As for me... no comment. some guy over at ilovephilosophy.com said it.

"I wouldn't care if a cowboy married his horse. I'd even dance at their wedding."